X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Stranger Things Star As Wolverine?

Well, he did have the worst 80's hair in the entire series. Is Daniel Radcliff as Moon Knight known "to be true"?

Few characters in the history of film have been so thoroughly embodied by a single actor. Superman has been played by four men and Batman has been played by nine (and soon to be ten) actors. Outside of comics, James Bond has been played by six (and soon to be seven) individuals and Sherlock Holmes has been played by nine different people. But from 2000 to 2017, only one man has portrayed the Marvel Comics character of James Howlett, the enigmatic mutant known as the Wolverine, across seven films and a cameo. Yes, 51-year-old Australian performer Hugh Jackman became synonymous with the adamantium-clawed Canadian, completing his own trilogy within the larger, at times uneven, 20th Century Fox X-Verse.

In March of 2019, the Walt Disney Company purchased, among other assets, the 20th Century Fox film and television studios for the monstrous price tag of $71.3 billion, acquiring with it the rights to the X-Men and related properties that Marvel Comics had sold to Fox during their internal financial crisis in 1993. As Disney had already bought Marvel Studios in December of 2009 for a comparatively reasonable $4 billion, the buy-out effectively brought home a stable of characters that fans have longed to see together under one roof.

Prior to the deal, Jackman brought his journey as the Wolverine to a close in the Academy Award-nominated Logan, and he’s since confirmed that his time playing the character is truly over. But with the rights to the hero changing hands, and the future of the wildly-popular Marvel Cinematic Universe bursting with possibility, it’s looking like Marvel’s parent company Disney will recast the part as they reboot him and the rest of the X-Men into their ever-expanding franchise. Rumors had spread for a time that Kingsman star Taron Egerton might be on the short-list of people to replace Jackman, but the 30-year-old Welsh actor has since called that speculation “unfounded,” saying: There’s other characters that I think I’d be more suited to.”

Now, sources close to WGTC – the same ones who informed us six months ago that Disney was developing a live-action remake of Bambi and told us back in November that National Treasure 3 was in the works, both of which have since been confirmed – have said that while some folks at the studio still hope to be able to coax Jackman back into the role, if they’re unable to get him, then one name on their list to take the part is an Australian actor of Canadian descent: 25-year-old Dacre Montgomery, who’s played Billy Hargrove in seasons two and three of the Netflix series Stranger Things, as well as the Red Ranger in the underwhelming 2017 Power Rangers reboot.

Six years ago, Kevin Feige told ScreenRant that the broad strokes of the Marvel Cinematic Universe are mapped out through 2028. How the studio might work Wolverine or his fellow mutants into that plan, and who they might ultimately cast to play them, is anyone’s guess, but for now, Montgomery is indeed at least one person that they’re looking at should Jackman stand firm on his decision and given that this intel comes to us from the same sources who also told us Marvel was eyeing Daniel Radcliffe for Moon Knight, which we now know to be true, we’ve no reason to doubt it.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

Little too young and pretty for Wolverine.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• MRP
      Persistent Member
      • Jul 19, 2016

Unless something has changed in the last week or so, Radcliffe as Moon Knight is just a rumor that has been going around after someone reported Feige had made inquiries to Radcliffe's reps about the possibility of taking a role in a Marvel movie. Everything sad about it has been fanart of what he would look like in the role and rumor mongering by alleged comic newssites, but no reputable source had said anything about it, and none of the general entertainment newssites have picked up the story or published any kind of confirmation. But as these sites often do, one posts a story and the others take it up and corroborate each other saying, see it's true this site reported it too, when there is no actual merit to the initial story and none of those picking it up bothered to corroborate it before picking it up.

-M
      "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• The Bat
        Batman Fanatic
        • Jul 14, 2002

Still hoping for Scott Eastwood as WOLVERINE. He looks a lot like his Dad and a bit like Hugh Jackman as well.

sigpic

Comment

• Wee67
          Museum Correspondent
          • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by The Bat
          Still hoping for Scott Eastwood as WOLVERINE. He looks a lot like his Dad and a bit like Hugh Jackman as well.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8a/02/aa/8...805bddaa20.jpg
          That is a really good choice. You could even create a double homage quote- "these are adamantium claws, the most strong metal in the world, and would slice your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, Bub?"
          WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• hedrap
            Permanent Member
            • Feb 10, 2009

It won't be this guy. They stopped doing the total unknown shtick after Phase 1.

I've been in the Eastwood camp for years, but Fiege owes his career to Jackman and Stewart. So the odds are he's going to try and coax those two back and work some de-aging magic if needed. I think the big diff is you're not going to see the Claremont X-Men be the focal point.

My guess has been we'll see a mega "Hulk vs" project with either "vs FF" leading to "vs Wolverine" or vice versa. Then they can reboot X-Men with the first team while spinning out an Alpha Flight Disney+ series.

I think we're going to see some Claremont characters appear in different projects then have a unification movie. For example, I wouldn't be shocked to hear Storm is in Black Panther 2. It's an easy tease on Marvel's part and plots the X-Men with the Avengers blueprint, which Fiege is clamoring for.

The big question is, does Eternals/Wandavision/Strange 2 lead to Secret Wars, which looks more and more to be the case.

Comment

• The Bat
              Batman Fanatic
              • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
              My guess has been we'll see a mega "Hulk vs" project with either "vs FF" leading to "vs Wolverine" or vice versa. Then they can reboot X-Men with the first team while spinning out an Alpha Flight Disney+ series.

I think we're going to see some Claremont characters appear in different projects then have a unification movie. For example, I wouldn't be shocked to hear Storm is in Black Panther 2. It's an easy tease on Marvel's part and plots the X-Men with the Avengers blueprint, which Fiege is clamoring for.

I like your thinking. This does seem like an organic way, to slowly introduce "Mutants" into the MCU.

However, I really don't see Jackman & Stewart coming back. Marvel likes to plan things 10 years out...and they're already to old.
              sigpic

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

I'd rather see James Macavoy back as Charlie and find some rough looking shorty for Wolvie
                You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• jwyblejr
                  galactic yo-yo
                  • Apr 6, 2006

I see Jackman maybe coming back as Wolverine in a Deadpool movie. Jackman and Reynolds already have a weird love/hate relation going on in real life. I'm sure Disney would want to use that at some point.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎