X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

They've changed "Stripes"

I recently put the movie "Stripes" on to show my kids, it was the first movie i ever rented and I've seen it so many times, it's unreal.

This must be some sort of anniversary edition floating around, scenes kept popping up where I'd say "that's not right" and then it culminated with a long not terribly funny scene of them escaping to Colombia.

Has anyone else seen this version, i didn't like it.

Also, I'm tired of forgetting about how much toplessness there was in 80s films.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

Sounds like the extended version. Not sure if Ramis or Reitman had a hand in it...

Comment

• palitoy
      • Jun 16, 2001

I've rarely run into deleted scenes from Comedies that i felt needed to be there, this was definitely the case here.

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

A lot of those comedies have not aged well.

Unpopular opinion Revenge of the Nerds is not a good movie. A lot of creepiness in that.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
          Permanent Member
          • May 15, 2009

Not sure if this is the version I watched a while back or not, but a few years ago I watched Stripes and it seemed very long and painfully unfunny.

Comment

• palitoy
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf

Unpopular opinion Revenge of the Nerds is not a good movie. A lot of creepiness in that.
            Yeah, i get into that with friends from time to time, loved it as a teenager, it won't be one I show my kids. You couldn't make that movie today and well, that's not always a bad thing.

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by ODBJBG
              Not sure if this is the version I watched a while back or not, but a few years ago I watched Stripes and it seemed very long and painfully unfunny.
              That was probably it, I stand by the original but these added scenes just slowed the whole thing down.

Comment

• Brazoo
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 14, 2009

Weird - I never knew about the extended cut. I'm curious, but I usually don't enjoy extended cuts anyway.

I love Stripes, but it's been a while, and I'll probably still love it no matter what, but I don't imagine it would age well. Do you think maybe back when we first saw it Bill Murray in an army movie was playing against genre and that made it fresh but now EVERY army/action genre movie attempts that same dry humor?

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by palitoy
                  I've rarely run into deleted scenes from Comedies that i felt needed to be there, this was definitely the case here.
                  I just re-watched Stripes a few months ago and fortunately did not see the one with these extra scenes. And while it was definitely a bit slower than I remembered, it still held up to me the way most of these comedies do for me. The beginning zany is always good but then they have to tie up the plot and that's never as funny. I also re-watched Meatballs and still enjoyed it.

I've been re-watching a lot of my 80's comedy favorites recently and this one definitely had some things that were just not that funny anymore. Heck, the scene where a masked Lewis has sex with the cheerleader by posing as another person is so wrong on so many levels.
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Brazoo
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 14, 2009

I never liked it much, but being totally honest I'd replay it often enough back in the day because I was a dumb horny kid. It's demented though, absolutely. I kind of feel like I grew up on a whole string of movies trying to outdo the raunch of Animal House. I think of it as it's its own exploitation genre.

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo

I love Stripes, but it's been a while, and I'll probably still love it no matter what, but I don't imagine it would age well. Do you think maybe back when we first saw it Bill Murray in an army movie was playing against genre and that made it fresh but now EVERY army/action genre movie attempts that same dry humor?
                      The kids seemed into it and both of them have some working knowledge of Bill Murray but i guess the biggest tell was when I decided to turn in, they had another movie on the TV before i hit the stairs.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                        Verbose Member
                        • Mar 7, 2004

I didn't know about the alternate cute of Stripes, but Revenge of the Nerds was on a cable channel uncut a few years back, and it was a real eye-opener how BADLY that movie has aged. WOW.

Chris
                        sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                          Citizen of Gotham
                          • Nov 17, 2012

Despite Nerds being unthinkable today... I still like it, despite its inappropriateness. It was made in the wake of Porky's and had to one-up that. Plus, Times were different.

Stripes... I always felt it lost its way as soon as they graduated boot camp. But, Lord I do miss the days when you'd get an Elmer Bernstein comedy score with such military gusto. File that soundtrack with John Williams' 1941 and Robert Folk's Police Academy.

Comment

• cjefferys
                            Duke of Gloat
                            • Apr 23, 2006

I'm guessing that cut of Stripes is the network television version, extended scenes and cutting room floor scenes added to replace edited for television parts and/or to extend the running time so more commercials could be added. Those alternate TV cuts were very common, especially back in the day.

I have a soft spot for Revenge of the Nerds since I first saw it on pay per view in a Toronto hotel (my parents gave me permission to order it to watch while they went out with friends, they didn't know how raunchy it would be, ha!), but yeah, that film would never be released today!
                            Last edited by cjefferys; Jan 29, '20, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• msenger76
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 3, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                              Stripes... I always felt it lost its way as soon as they graduated boot camp.
                              I actually though this same thing as kid in the 80s. the second half is so slow

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎