• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Palifan
    Museum Patron
    • Jan 18, 2016

Which paints to use?

Hi all,

I've been getting some 8" parts up together recently to try my hand at making a mego custom with my son (he liked the look of what I was doing and asked if he could make one as well and far be it for me to crush a 10 year olds dreams!). What I was wondering was what type of paint works best for people for use on these plastic parts?

We are using mainly FTC and Dr Mego parts so that's the type of plastic we have and it would be nice if they could end up looking as flat and Mego like as possible.

Any suggestions appreciated and thanks for looking.

Ian
  • phil
    Persistent Member
    • May 11, 2007

Acrylic Paints and Taklon Brushes. You may have to get the brushes at a craft store like Michaels or a hobby store but quality brushes do make a difference. I use Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic paints for the most part because there is a wide variety of colors/shades and they can be found at places like Michaels and JoAnn Fabrics and don't cost a lot. Some times I use Citadel Acrylic Paints from the local Hobby store. Citadel Acrylics are a bit expensive but are good quality and come in some unusual colors. I also use the Delta Matte Interior Varnish to seal whatever I paint when finished.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others here can be of more help.

Comment

• Palifan
      Museum Patron
      • Jan 18, 2016

Thanks phil, that's most helpful and although I'm based in the UK it should be easy enough to track down the paints you've mentioned or at least their equivalent. I had a feeling that Acrylics were probably going to be the best to go for but it's interesting that you mentioned Citadel paints as I'm pretty sure I can get them here and I'll pic up a quality brush as well. Matt varnish to seal the paint is a great suggestion as well as I can see that this should help to flatten out the paint more as well as protecting in.

When I finally get all of this sorted out with my son I'll post some pictures up.

Ian

Comment

• phil
        Persistent Member
        • May 11, 2007

Glad I could be of some help. Sorry I didn't realize you weren't in the US.

Comment

• Random Axe
          The Voice of Reason
          • Apr 16, 2008

If you're going to be painting accessories like boots, I highly recommend using a spray primer. Even the best acrylic paints need a surface to bond with, and the smooth plastic used on most parts will not allow for that and will eventually crack and flake off. The best one I've used is Army Builder primer, and it comes in many colors. It's a little on the pricy side but it's the highest quality. I use a combination of hobby store paint and Citadel as I generally mix and customize all of my colors. Citadel has the highest pigmentation so it requires less coats. And, Phil is 100 percent correct, brushes do matter. If you're going to invest your time and passion into a project don't cheap out, get some good high end sable brushes. I use cheap ones for base coats and then go back over with the good stuff.
          I almost had a psychic girlfriend but she dumped me before we met.

If anyone here believes in psychokinesis, please raise my hand.

Comment

• Palifan
            Museum Patron
            • Jan 18, 2016

All very sound advise which I'll take onboard when I get going. Thanks for all of the helpfully suggestions and can't wait until my DR Mego and FTC parts I've ordered arrive!

Ian

Comment

• Palifan
              Museum Patron
              • Jan 18, 2016

Originally posted by Random Axe
              If you're going to be painting accessories like boots, I highly recommend using a spray primer. Even the best acrylic paints need a surface to bond with, and the smooth plastic used on most parts will not allow for that and will eventually crack and flake off. The best one I've used is Army Builder primer, and it comes in many colors. It's a little on the pricy side but it's the highest quality. I use a combination of hobby store paint and Citadel as I generally mix and customize all of my colors. Citadel has the highest pigmentation so it requires less coats. And, Phil is 100 percent correct, brushes do matter. If you're going to invest your time and passion into a project don't cheap out, get some good high end sable brushes. I use cheap ones for base coats and then go back over with the good stuff.
              Just wondered if you have a link to the Army Builder primer paint you mentioned? As I'm based in the UK it might not be something that I can get my hands on over here but it would be good to know what that primer looks like to see if I can find it. Also if there are any other primers you've used that are good then please let me know as i will be painting up Mego style gloves ect. so want the paint to stay on as best it can.

Thanks again,

ian

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎