X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myoldtoys
    Veteran Member
    • May 15, 2012

Project photos - Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle restoration

I have had my brother's Evel Knievel stunt cycle for years. The cycle body had many parts broken off and the chrome engines were long gone. The good news was that the handlebars were not broken and it still ran well. I have been looking for a donor stunt cycle for about 20 years. I have bought and sold a few, but never found just what I was looking for until December. Everything was intact but the bars were broken and the bike didn't run. It was the perfect donor! I got a set of replacement rivets on eBay. The decals are handmade from red and blue Oracal 651 vinyl. They are very close in color to the originals (closer than the ones sold on eBay). I used an original set of decals as a template. If anyone is interested in stickers, let me know. Does not take much time to make a set. It turned out awesome! The bad news is I am literally running out of toy projects. Here are the restoration pictures...

• Confessional
    Maker & Whatnot
    • Aug 8, 2012

Fun project / nice work!… is that some kind of rivet jig you made?

Comment

• EmergencyIan
      Museum Paramedic
      • Aug 31, 2005

Looks great! You really did some nice work.

- Ian
      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Myoldtoys
        Veteran Member
        • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by Confessional
        Fun project / nice work!… is that some kind of rivet jig you made?
        Thanks. It is a jig of sorts for drilling out the old rivets. It supported the cycle and the rivets rested on the screws. The idea was that I wouldn't be putting pressure down on any 47 year old plastic. I could not use it for installing the new rivets. It wasn't strong enough.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
          Veteran Member
          • May 15, 2012

The other part of the project was the figure. He came with the broken bike, and his suit was very dirty. I removed the "V" by cutting all the clear thread. Washed the suit. Then hand stitched the V back on. Actually did that on 2 figures in 1 week. That was not much fun but worth it!

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

You did a fantastic job on this, great work and thanks for sharing.

Comment

• ScottA
              Original Member
              • Jun 25, 2001

That's pretty slick.
              sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• rykerw1701
                Persistent Member
                • Aug 27, 2007

I have parts of two sets of EK from my childhood, even with the box and I never seem to make restoring one of them a priority. But this provides a little inspiration.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by rykerw1701
                  I have parts of two sets of EK from my childhood, even with the box and I never seem to make restoring one of them a priority. But this provides a little inspiration.
                  Well if you are thinking of doing it at some point, I recommend buying a set of rivets on eBay for it now. The only seller I've seen there changed his ad to say he is selling the last of his inventory. And I have not found any other sources online for these. They are around $10 for the three rivets you would need.

I could also send you a set of my stickers for free. I hope that is some added inspiration.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

This is fantastic, thank you very much for sharing. It's a great toy and I like project/restoration threads like this.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Wee67
                      Museum Correspondent
                      • Apr 2, 2002

Great job bringing back one of the greatest toys of all time.
                      WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

That's awesome!
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• RonnyG
                          Career Member
                          • Apr 23, 2014

Great job! You can now put it proudly on display and no one would know the difference! I restored a broken GI Joe once and it's a good feeling restoring something to it's former glory!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

That's so true, Ronny. I look at my restored, hybrid Bulletman and it makes me smile.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Confessional
                              Maker & Whatnot
                              • Aug 8, 2012

We see much broke down Evel action; it's really great to see these restored. Your jig is brilliant too.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎