X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EmergencyIan
    Museum Paramedic
    • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by MRP
    I usually just click on new posts when I come to the site rather than going forum by forum, so I really have no sense of which posts are in which forum for the most part, so never noticed a proliferation of RIP threads being in the general buzz per se. The few I posted didn't seem to belong in any other particular forum, so went to the General Buzz which seems to be a catch all for stuff that doesn't fit anywhere else. Since a lot of the toy, movie, comics, events, and other fun stuff discussed around here all have dedicated forums for them, that kind of stuff never seems to make its way to the General Buzz, leaving only that odd assortment of stuff to populate it, of which the RIP type threads seem to be the most common sort that don't have a dedicated forum for them.

-M
    Good idea! Or, as mentioned earlier (apologies, I forgot who brought it up) a dedicated thread would do.

On top that, we typically don’t recognize birthdays in this section anymore.

- Ian
    Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• ScottA
      Original Member
      • Jun 25, 2001

Yeah, besides the celebraties I've had the fathers of 2 close friends and an old co-worker pass just in the last 2 weeks. Gonna be honest, kinda sucks.
      sigpic WANTED: Boxed, Carded and Kresge Carded WGSH

Comment

• hedrap
        Permanent Member
        • Feb 10, 2009

For 3 years, we had someone pass away every 3 months. From my father to father in-law (6 mos apart), to my childhood best friend. In fact, me and my wife both came very close at different points. And change my car accident by 10 feet, and I don't know what would've happen to my kids.

I post RIP threads because as pointed out before, we lost a lot of people in the 90's/2k's and nobody really noticed because fans didn't have easy communication. When it hit me, was when Roy Schieder died. I knew the wave was coming, and that's really what happened. We've gotten older and our stars are at the end. Plus the other big factor is media no longer produces real stars. More people saw Burt Reynolds at his peak then Vin Diesel. More people saw Connery than The Rock. It's a weird dynamic at play: we've lost more true stars than are being created, so there's no succession.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
          Permanent Member
          • Sep 15, 2014

6 RIP threads on the front page (7 if you include the Type3's family dog)

That is a bit morbid. Kobe and Neil Peart I would expect a thread about since they were legends of their respective industries.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 15, 2010

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
            I posted an RIP thread for John Karlen of Dark Shadows in the Movie Monster section, and it's RIP as well, with no responses.

Chris
            Hi. Thank you for sharing that news, because otherwise I don't know I would have ever heard. Also, I told some other DS fans.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

Perhaps it might be better to have one dedicated RIP thread where people can post news and tributes to those who have passed instead of creating a new thread every time someone passes. That's the way it's done on a comic book forum I have been part of for years.

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎