Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I ran into this problem while using Acetone to Shrink A Head....

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Plastic Vulcan
    • Apr 25, 2019

So I ran into this problem while using Acetone to Shrink A Head....

As the title says, I was shrinking a head and it went fine overall except for this one minor thing. The only problem was that the head had brown paint for hair. It came off during the shrinking process. That's fine, I knew that it would and I want to paint the hair another color anyway.

THE PROBLEM IS that the brown paint mixed with the Acetone, creating a type of skin dye on the head, giving the skin a bronze, suntanned look. I can live with it if I have to even if it means the head no longer matches the new body any more but I was wondering if anyone knew a method to restore the head to the original paler tone? Would applying benzoyl peroxide or bleach restore it to the original coloring? Is there something else?
  • CrimsonGhost
    Often invisible
    • Jul 18, 2002

I once tried shrinking a zombie Mego head and had reused acetone that I had shrunk something red in and the acetone had a watered down kool-aid look to it. I didn't care since I intended to mold and cast the zombie Mego head, but I was surprised to find that the residual red dye had stained the vinyl and cured the zombie problem. The head is now a nice flesh color and has yet to fade and I did this over 10 years ago.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions, just another cautionary tale.
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
      Moderation Engineer
      • Aug 14, 2003

You could try redipping it in a clean jar of fresh acetone in the hopes that the color from the paint leaches back out, but I'm not optimistic

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by EMCE Hammer
        You could try redipping it in a clean jar of fresh acetone in the hopes that the color from the paint leaches back out, but I'm not optimistic
        This was my thought too.

Comment

• Plastic Vulcan
          • Apr 25, 2019

I've already tried dipping it in fresh acetone. It didn't seem to have any effect on it. Thank you anyways guys.

Comment

• rche
            channeling Bob Wills
            • Mar 26, 2008

I would be interested to know if a peroxide cream treatment would help out. It might do something to draw the dye out if the color is just in the top layer of the material.

Comment

• Plastic Vulcan
              • Apr 25, 2019

rche, I was thinking the same thing. I think I'll buy some Benzoyl Peroxide and give it a shot. Do you think bleach would damage the vinyl?

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

I would stick with the peroxide. I have used that on many stains with great results and no damage.

Comment

• Plastic Vulcan
                  • Apr 25, 2019

It worked. Thank you.

Comment

• rche
                    channeling Bob Wills
                    • Mar 26, 2008

awesome! Did you happen to take any before - after pics?

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
                      Moderation Engineer
                      • Aug 14, 2003

Great to know!

Comment

• Plastic Vulcan
                        • Apr 25, 2019

Originally posted by rche
                        awesome! Did you happen to take any before - after pics?
                        No, sorry. I'm still kind of new to this. My wife and daughter think I'm crazy trying to build my own action figures. So I never think about taking pics in case anyone would want to see.

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

Peroxide on vinyl is amazing.

It doesn't seem to have the harsh effect it takes on ABS. I pulled an ink stain out of a vintage Kenner Stay Puft Marshmllow man, and you'd never even know it was there.

Amazing trick, known to doll collectors for decades.
                          Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• RobbieWilkes
                            • Feb 7, 2018

Hello all! Thought I'd piggyback off of this discussion, rather than starting another.

Currently working on a Bionic Woman / Jaime Sommers custom, and my talented daughter handled the painting of the head, as she's done on several other of my customs and even touch-ups on zombified heads. Unfortunately, this time it came out just a tad too dark... hair, skin, etc. I want to just lighten it up a little bit, but I'm not sure what would work best.

I saw mention of benzoyl peroxide for removing paint, but I'm wondering if it could also be used to lighten up paint as well? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎