X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

RIP John Karlen of Dark Shadows and Cagney and Lacey

John Karlen, the actor who played Willie Loomis on Dark Shadows, has died, a co-star says. The cause of death was heart failure, reports say.

Character actor John Karlen has passed. Karlen played Willie Loomis, the shifty drifter who unwittingly releases Barnabas Collins from his prison tomb, and thus changes the course of the Dark Shadows series, and honestly the portrayal of vampires forever more.

I always thought Karlen was one of the best actors on the series. His performance was more nuanced and grounded than just about anyone else on the show, and he elevated the material during his sporadic periods of involvement in the various plot lines. He was also great in the film adaptation of the initial Barnabas storyline, House of Dark Shadows.

He won a best supporting actor Emmy for his role of Harvey, the husband to Tyne Daly's Lacey on Cagney and Lacey. He was also great in the underrated vampire flick, Daughters of Darkness.

I know he's been ill for some time, so this really isn't a surprise, but still sad to hear. RIP.

Chris
    sigpic
  • danadoll
    Micronaut Nut!
    • Apr 11, 2005

Very sad...I enjoyed his performances on Dark Shadows.

Dana
    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• The Nawd
      Nawd your head for yes.
      • Feb 15, 2011

RIP

I've been watching Dark Shadows via my local library lately. I've enjoyed his portrayal of Willie Loomis very much.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      🥰
      🤢
      😎
      😡
      👍
      👎