X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

I need some opinions please...

I need to make a major decision and would like to know what you guys think.

I'm trying to put together a mint set of Remco 9" Monsters, which as you know, is not an easy task.
    Here is what I have so far...mint in mint boxes Dracula and Wolfman, and a second mint loose Dracula and loose Mummy.

Now, knowing that finding all six mint in nice boxes will be damn near impossible, I'm considering selling my boxed Dracula and opening my boxed Wolfman to display loose with the loose Dracula and Mummy,
    then selling the empty Wolfman box to another collector who wants it.

What would you do?

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

I'd aim to collect a boxed set because I love the art. I have my childhood set of six in worn boxes, I could not afford to upgrade them now.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

No right or wrong with this.

I would gently open and remove the Wolfman from his box from the bottom. But keep the box in case you want to display him in it later. The only thing that really makes the Remcos MIB is some old twist ties and dried tape. It's not like the flaps are glued shut.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• J.B.
        Guild Navigator
        • Jun 23, 2010

I would personally display them boxed and loose. Sell the mint loose Dracula so you can get one of the loose 3 you need. When you're done, 2 boxed, 4 loose will make for a nice combo. You get to appreciate the beauty of the box artwork of the 2 plus you get to see all of the other 4 figures.
        You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• palitoy
          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
          • Jun 16, 2001

I have the set but my Phantom box is trashed and I'm ok with that.
          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Palifan
            Museum Patron
            • Jan 18, 2016

I'm still after a lose Wolfman but finding it hard to find one for some reason (not sure why this figure is proving so tricky?!). I do have a boxed Frankenstein and also another empty box of one for some reason (can't actually remember how I managed that).

Not quite sure what I'd do although trying to put together a full set of boxed ones in the UK is something that I probably wouldn't even attempt.

Best of luck with whatever way you go though,

Ian

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

I feel that your plan is a good one.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

It sounds like your more interested in keeping them loose and selling the Drac in the box and the empty Wolfman box
                after you take him out. You kind of answered your own question.

With having a loose Dracula-Wolfman and Mummy, and selling the mint box Dracula, you probably would have enough
                cash to pick up a minty loose Frankenstein, which would be the way I would do it, I've seen loose Frankenstein's on ebay
                in the past.

Now finding a loose Creature and Phantom would be hard but not impossible, I've seen a loose Creature not to long
                ago but it cost a pretty penny.

Comment

• Mikey
                  Verbose Member
                  • Aug 9, 2001

I would keep them in the box and of course keep all boxes

You seem to be a guy who appreciates nice art , makes it and wants to be surrounded by it …. Loose figures won't do for you

Maybe you'll never get a complete MIB collection but you will regret it if you settle for less

Good luck and remember the hunt is the fun - make it last

Comment

• enyawd72
                    Maker of Monsters!
                    • Oct 1, 2009

Oh boy....this isn't helping at all. I really am torn.

Do appreciate everyone's input though.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

I agree with Mikey, D.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

I've honestly never been in love with the 9 inch figures. The box art makes them infinitely more appealing.

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Wasn't there a warehouse find of these in England about 15-ish years ago ?

I kinda remember seeing them on ebay

Maybe i'm mixing them up with something else

Comment

• tay666
                            Career Member
                            • Dec 27, 2008

Originally posted by J.B.
                            I would personally display them boxed and loose. Sell the mint loose Dracula so you can get one of the loose 3 you need. When you're done, 2 boxed, 4 loose will make for a nice combo. You get to appreciate the beauty of the box artwork of the 2 plus you get to see all of the other 4 figures.
                            This is what I would do.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                              Permanent Member
                              • Sep 15, 2014

Keep what you got and try to find mint loose examples to complete your display . Imho of course.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎