X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Superman & Lois Gets Straight to Series Order

Sorry if this order has already been noted here.

The CW has handed out straight-to-series orders for 'Arrow'-verse spinoff 'Superman & Lois' as well as Jared Padalecki's 'Walker, Texas Ranger' reimagining. Both script-to-series pickups will be for the network's 2020-21 broadcast season, a rare move for The CW, which traditionally produces a pilot before handing out series orders.

Superman & Lois,' Jared Padalecki's 'Walker' Ordered Straight to Series at The CW

In a rare move, Mark Pedowitz's younger-skewing network has bypassed the traditional pilot stage.

The CW is getting a very early jump on its 2020-21 season.

Mark Pedowitz's younger-skewing network has handed out straight-to-series orders for Arrow-verse spinoff Superman & Lois as well as Jared Padalecki's Walker, Texas Ranger reimagining. Both script-to-series pickups will be for the network's 2020-21 broadcast season, a rare move for The CW, which traditionally produces a pilot before handing out series orders in May. The early orders will likely help the network get a jump on hiring writers, casting, directors and producing scripts and episodes before a potential writers strike. The first episodes will be filmed in the spring in advance of The CW's upfront presentation to Madison Avenue ad buyers in May. Additional pilot orders are expected to come from the network in the next few weeks.

Superman & Lois will star Tyler Hoechlin and Elizabeth Tulloch as they reprise their Arrow-verse roles, Superman/Clark Kent and Lois Lane. Both feature prominently in the Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover event, which wraps Tuesday on The CW. The series, which follows the iconic characters as they deal with stress, pressures and complexities that come with being working parents in today’s society, is being written by former The Flash showrunner Todd Helbing, who stepped down last season in order to focus on development via his overall deal with Superman & Lois producers Warner Bros. TV. The project, like all Arrow-verse programming, is being produced by studio-based Greg Berlanti Productions and his company topper Sarah Schechter. Geoff Johns will also exec produce. A premiere date has not been determined.

Greg Berlanti (left), Sharon Horgan, Alex Kurtzman and Dwayne Johnson are behind some of the biggest pilots in the works for the 2020-21 broadcast season.
    READ MORE
    TV Pilots 2020: The Complete Guide
    Walker, meanwhile, is described as a reimagining of the former Chuck Norris show Walker, Texas Ranger. It keeps fan favorite Padalecki on The CW following his 15-year run on Supernatural. That series, like Arrow, wraps its run this season. The new take follows Cordell Walker, a widower and father of two with his own moral code, who returns to Austin after being undercover for two years, only to discover there’s harder work to be done at home. He will attempt to reconnect with his children, navigate clashes with his family and find unexpected common ground with his new partner (one of the first women in Texas Rangers’ history), while growing increasingly suspicious about the circumstances surrounding his wife’s death. The project is being written and produced by Anna Fricke (Being Human, Valor) and executive produced by Dan Lin and Lindsay Liberatore, as well as Padalecki. Walker hails from CBS TV Studios.

"I am a big believer in Jared and Jensen Ackles, and if I could keep them both in some fashion, I would. We'll see what happens," Pedowitz told The Hollywood Reporter last week.
    Superman & Lois and Walker were among The CW's buzziest development scripts and come with a built-in fan base that will help both cut through the cluttered landscape in a climate with more than 530 scripted originals.

The two projects will help fill the void created on the network's schedule from the natural conclusions of Arrow, Supernatural and The 100. What's more, they join a 2020-21 CW lineup that will again feature nearly all of its scripted originals after Pedowitz renewed 13 series earlier this month. (Still on the bubble is the midseason Riverdale spinoff Katy Keene, which earned an early vote of confidence with an order for 13 additional scripts ahead of its debut.)

The orders arrive after Pedowitz last week inked a new, multiyear deal to remain at the top of The CW and was promoted to chairman and CEO of the network.

The early pickups are again evenly split between The CW co-owners Warner Bros. TV and CBS TV Studios. As for The CW's pilot slate, the network also has an untitled 100 prequel series and a second Arrow-verse spinoff — a female-fronted entry starring Katherine McNamara, Katie Cassidy and Juliana Harkavy — already in the works. Both will air as planted episodes in their respective flagships' final seasons. (Keep track of all the pilot and series orders for next season with THR's handy guide.)

"As Arrow was aging and now ending this month, we put Batwoman on. We understand that there's age limitations to these shows. As they change, we go to the next cycle. As long as you have good tentpole product to go with, you're in good shape," Pedowitz told THR last week about how many more shows in the DC Comics universe the network would add this season. The CW's DC lineup next season will now consist of Black Lightning, The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, Batwoman and Superman & Lois.
    The CW is not alone in handing out early straight-to-series orders this pilot season. NBC this week handed out an 11-episode order for the Dwayne Johnson comedy Young Rock, which joins Ted Danson's as-yet untitled L.A. mayoral comedy that was also picked up straight to series months ago. Fox, too, went to series on the animated comedy Housebroken.

For Berlanti, meanwhile, the Superman & Lois order will give him nine scripted series — and potentially 10, should Katy Keene get picked up for season two — on The CW alone. It also grows his TV-record number of scripted series currently in the works to an eye-popping 22 via his $400 million overall deal with Warner Bros. TV.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

No offense to those involved, but I now feel like they backed the wrong Superman.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• LonnieFisher
      Eloquent Member
      • Jan 19, 2008

Supercuck and Lois...

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

So, they're remaking "Lois & Clark"?
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hector
          el Hombre de Acero
          • May 19, 2003

Tyler Hoechlin is the worst Superman of all times. In fact, he’s the reason why, after years of hating Tom Welling...now fully apologize and embrace Mr Welling as a proper Superman.

I will not be watching this...
          sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

What they did not mention is Superman & Lois have two kids after the COIE. I know one is Jonathan Kent but the other sounds like Damian Wayne. Now it is possible with Batman M.I.A. that Clark & Lois are watching over Damian.
            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
              Muddling through
              • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Hector
              Tyler Hoechlin is the worst Superman of all times. In fact, he’s the reason why, after years of hating Tom Welling...now fully apologize and embrace Mr Welling as a proper Superman.

in fairness, it is not the actor, it is the terrible writing they give him. DC just keeps spitting on Superman. if they treated the character as they should, I would not mind him in the role. But I probably won't watch it either. I am really tired of how preachy and PC the Arrowverse shows are

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

^Yes. Hoechlin was good in Teen Wolf.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                  Persistent Member
                  • Sep 27, 2010

well now that he has his own show and not take a backpage to supergirl maybe he'll show a trait of what superman is and that is of being a leader? And the Lois actress to me is very unattractive.

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                    Eloquent Member
                    • Jan 19, 2008

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                    The Lois actress to me is very unattractive.
                    I agree. Why would Superman be with an unattractive woman who is constantly acting attracted to other men, and being very vocal about it in front of everyone? He should find someone that likes him...

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                      Muddling through
                      • Oct 4, 2008

well, that all fits with the way the shows write him as such a wimpy character. why wouldn't Lois be attracted to stronger manly men than her super powered wuss of a husband who gets beat up by just about every other character on the show

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

She must be mind-controlling him. She's a villain, for sure!

Comment

• The Bat
                          Batman Fanatic
                          • Jul 14, 2002

Originally posted by Hector

Wow, never thought I see the day Hec! But seriously though, Tyler Hoechlinis THE WORST Superman EVER! But the real crime is we got to see both Welling & Brandon Routh playing SUPERMAN again. What a miss opportunity! Imagine a NEW SUPERMAN TV series starring Routh as SUPERMAN? What a shame.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎