Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So much for Netflix being dead

So much for Netflix being dead

Quote Originally Posted by Hector View Post
    Unfortunately, awards do not make for good business. Profits do. They spent $15 billion and aren't seeing a return on that investment. That business model isn't sustainable. Marketwatch reports that physical media is making a strong comeback, as consumers are already tiring of having to pay for several different streaming services in addition to regular cable and/or satellite just to watch TV. Costs can run into the thousands annually. If I paid to watch all the shows I want to, I'd have to have Netflix, Disney+, CBS All Access, DC Universe, Amazon Prime, and Criterion. No way in hell.

I'll stick to my Blu-rays, thank you very much.

I fully expect the entire streaming thing to collapse within a few years.

Images
    I'm pretty sure the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences doesn't have many members that can't afford a streaming service -- which a good chunk of America can't.

Steaming doesn't seem viable for expansion beyond what it is now.

You can't squeeze blood out of a stone
    .................................................. .......................

So much for pirating being dead!
    Expectation is the death of discovery.

Images
    Nope. It's dead. Hulu just added pretty much all of the Star Trek series. Now Disney has both the Star Trek and Star Wars fan base.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by enyawd72 View Post

I fully expect the entire streaming thing to collapse within a few years.
    It's here to stay but it will likely be a much different landscape in the next five years, mergers, acquisitions and closures. There is a lot of money on the table but eventually, consumers will become overwhelmed. I guess we may be down to a half dozan options by then. Until then it's a golden age for people in film and TV production!

Physical Media ain't going nowhere either. It'll never be as big but i know a guy who runs a major DVD distribution company here in Canada. From what he tells me, business is booming.

Images
    Tubi has it right

Free streaming with limited commercials

Tubi seems to be growing with a lot more big name movies plus plenty of obscure oddities the big pay streamers would never touch
    .................................................. .......................

Itís doesnít matter to me either way...as I have everything...Xfinity Premium package with OnDemand, Disney Plus/Hulu/ESPN+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV Plus...and Iím going to sign up for CBS Access to watch Picard (could care less about Discovery though)...

The only physical Blu-ray sets that I care for are my Alien Quadrilogy and Alien Anthology sets. The rest of my DVD and Blu-Ray stuff are collecting dust down in my basement in some boxes.

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    Physical Media ain't going nowhere either. It'll never be as big but i know a guy who runs a major DVD distribution company here in Canada. From what he tells me, business is booming.
    That is comforting to hear. I am already overwhelmed by the streaming choices.