• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hector
    el Hombre de Acero
    • May 19, 2003

So much for Netflix being dead

Yowza...

The streaming service scored 24 Academy Award nominations for its various movies, surpassing Hollywood’s traditional studios for the first time.
    sigpic
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hector
    Unfortunately, awards do not make for good business. Profits do. They spent $15 billion and aren't seeing a return on that investment. That business model isn't sustainable. Marketwatch reports that physical media is making a strong comeback, as consumers are already tiring of having to pay for several different streaming services in addition to regular cable and/or satellite just to watch TV. Costs can run into the thousands annually. If I paid to watch all the shows I want to, I'd have to have Netflix, Disney+, CBS All Access, DC Universe, Amazon Prime, and Criterion. No way in hell.

I'll stick to my Blu-rays, thank you very much.

I fully expect the entire streaming thing to collapse within a few years.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I'm pretty sure the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences doesn't have many members that can't afford a streaming service -- which a good chunk of America can't.

Steaming doesn't seem viable for expansion beyond what it is now.

You can't squeeze blood out of a stone

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
        Often invisible
        • Jul 18, 2002

So much for pirating being dead!
        Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

Nope. It's dead. Hulu just added pretty much all of the Star Trek series. Now Disney has both the Star Trek and Star Wars fan base.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72

I fully expect the entire streaming thing to collapse within a few years.
            It's here to stay but it will likely be a much different landscape in the next five years, mergers, acquisitions and closures. There is a lot of money on the table but eventually, consumers will become overwhelmed. I guess we may be down to a half dozan options by then. Until then it's a golden age for people in film and TV production!

Physical Media ain't going nowhere either. It'll never be as big but i know a guy who runs a major DVD distribution company here in Canada. From what he tells me, business is booming.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Tubi has it right

Free streaming with limited commercials

Tubi seems to be growing with a lot more big name movies plus plenty of obscure oddities the big pay streamers would never touch

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

It’s doesn’t matter to me either way...as I have everything...Xfinity Premium package with OnDemand, Disney Plus/Hulu/ESPN+, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Apple TV Plus...and I’m going to sign up for CBS Access to watch Picard (could care less about Discovery though)...

sigpic

Comment

• Hector
                  el Hombre de Acero
                  • May 19, 2003

The only physical Blu-ray sets that I care for are my Alien Quadrilogy and Alien Anthology sets. The rest of my DVD and Blu-Ray stuff are collecting dust down in my basement in some boxes.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
                    Citizen of Gotham
                    • Nov 17, 2012

Originally posted by palitoy
                    Physical Media ain't going nowhere either. It'll never be as big but i know a guy who runs a major DVD distribution company here in Canada. From what he tells me, business is booming.
                    That is comforting to hear. I am already overwhelmed by the streaming choices.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                      Permanent Member
                      • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by Mikey
                      Tubi has it right

Free streaming with limited commercials

Tubi seems to be growing with a lot more big name movies plus plenty of obscure oddities the big pay streamers would never touch
                      I've been saying that for months now.
                      Also check out the NBC app their archives have Six Mil, Bionic woman, Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rogers.

They haven't put up Columbo or the other mystery movies yet.

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                        Permanent Member
                        • Sep 15, 2014

Comment

• SeattleEd
                          SynthoRes Transmigrator
                          • Oct 24, 2007

Agreed.

Having worked in the Streaming industry for the past decade, it is permanent and here to stay. As Brian stated, mergers and acquisitions are in the making and the younger generation is ingesting this technology and soon you can stream everything to your vehicle which will become the new home or office.

Originally posted by palitoy
                          It's here to stay but it will likely be a much different landscape in the next five years, mergers, acquisitions and closures. There is a lot of money on the table but eventually, consumers will become overwhelmed. I guess we may be down to a half dozan options by then. Until then it's a golden age for people in film and TV production!

Comment

• hedrap
                            Permanent Member
                            • Feb 10, 2009

Speaking from experience, streaming isn't going anywhere. The investment from cable and cell companies for faster pipelines is all about video service.

I used to believe mergers were on the horizon, but we're seeing a real holdout and lack of buying interest. Hulu was the litmus test. Comcast could've bought it out or Disney could've closed it. Neither happened. It has no real purpose other than nudging Netflix from another angle.

Comment

• Werewolf
                              Inhuman
                              • Jul 14, 2003

Streaming services are here to stay. That's a given no argument there. The prevailing prediction that physical media was going the way of the dinosaurs is what was dead wrong.
                              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎