X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by hedrap
    Speaking from experience, streaming isn't going anywhere. The investment from cable and cell companies for faster pipelines is all about video service.

I used to believe mergers were on the horizon, but we're seeing a real holdout and lack of buying interest. Hulu was the litmus test. Comcast could've bought it out or Disney could've closed it. Neither happened. It has no real purpose other than nudging Netflix from another angle.
    Yeah, I really thought Disney would fold Hulu content into Disney+ and end Hulu. Maybe they want some sort of comparison of an ad-supported and non-ad supported service. (I realize you can opt for a no-ad version of Hulu, but I think many still use the ad-laiden version).

It will be interesting to see how streaming services adjust to their own proliferation. And even more to see what draws consumers. Especially as content producers continue to try and figure out the balance between licensing your stuff to competing services (big money now) or hoarding it to build your own service (big money later as more subscribe to your service). It was interesting to see this play out as Warner decided to extend use of Friends on Netflix before ending it in favor of their own service.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

^ The original Hulu plan was to make Netflix pay insane licensing fees until the couldn't afford it, then drop everything on Hulu, but Hastings keeps pushing back. It was just reported they're going to spend 17 billion on content this year.

The studios are in trouble. The price tag is too high for little returns on production/promotional costs and Netflix has no need to own cable channels. Buy Sony, and you lose Spider-Man. CBS/Viacom is valued at 30billion, so that's a merger. If I was Hastings, I'd buy Danjaq/EON and go big on Bond. You could run an MI6 and Felix Lighter series while producing a theatrical Bond every two years.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
        Career Member
        • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by Werewolf
        Streaming services are here to stay. That's a given no argument there. The prevailing prediction that physical media was going the way of the dinosaurs is what was dead wrong.
        That's right, thank goodness for MY VIDEO TAPE collection!!

Comment

• jwyblejr
          galactic yo-yo
          • Apr 6, 2006

From what I've read,Disney+ is for kids and families,Hulu is for everyone else.

Comment

• Hedji
            Citizen of Gotham
            • Nov 17, 2012

Universal and Warner just merged their physical media distribution, presumably for efficiency and cost effectiveness. An interesting development.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
              Museum Paramedic
              • Aug 31, 2005

My wife was just absorbed by Warner Brothers from HBO. Since the Warner Media merger with AT&T, HBO has largely been left with the ability to only produce content. Prior to the merger HBO was a stand alone company; a head to toe company. Now their NYC offices look like a ghost town. Unfortunately, many, many people have lost their jobs.

Anyhow, the media business is changing rapidly. I think that streaming services are the major reason. You either jump on the streaming train or get off the train for good.

- Ian
              Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Mr.Marion
                Permanent Member
                • Sep 15, 2014

Originally posted by EmergencyIan
                My wife was just absorbed by Warner Brothers from HBO. Since the Warner Media merger with AT&T, HBO has largely been left with the ability to only produce content. Prior to the merger HBO was a stand alone company; a head to toe company. Now their NYC offices look like a ghost town. Unfortunately, many, many people have lost their jobs.

Anyhow, the media business is changing rapidly. I think that streaming services are the major reason. You either jump on the streaming train or get off the train for good.

- Ian
                The entertainment industry right now is like the Russia's wild west was after the fall of the USSR. It's good positioning if you are well connected and have the capital to buy catalogs and IP's but as a whole isn't any better or more stable for the people who work in those industries.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                  Museum Paramedic
                  • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
                  The entertainment industry right now is like the Russia's wild west was after the fall of the USSR. It's good positioning if you are well connected and have the capital to buy catalogs and IP's but as a whole isn't any better or more stable for the people who work in those industries.
                  It’s considerably worse for the majority of the folks who work in the industry as they’re losing their jobs. My wife has been lucky, so far. As of now, she seems to like the Warner job more, but it’s new. However, it’s a good job and she only has a few more years to work. So, fingers crossed that it lasts.

- Ian
                  Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎