Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So much for Netflix being dead

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Tubi has it right

Free streaming with limited commercials

Tubi seems to be growing with a lot more big name movies plus plenty of obscure oddities the big pay streamers would never touch
    I've been saying that for months now.
    Also check out the NBC app their archives have Six Mil, Bionic woman, Battlestar Galactica, and Buck Rogers.

They haven't put up Columbo or the other mystery movies yet.

Images

Agreed.

Having worked in the Streaming industry for the past decade, it is permanent and here to stay. As Brian stated, mergers and acquisitions are in the making and the younger generation is ingesting this technology and soon you can stream everything to your vehicle which will become the new home or office.

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    It's here to stay but it will likely be a much different landscape in the next five years, mergers, acquisitions and closures. There is a lot of money on the table but eventually, consumers will become overwhelmed. I guess we may be down to a half dozan options by then. Until then it's a golden age for people in film and TV production!

Physical Media ain't going nowhere either. It'll never be as big but i know a guy who runs a major DVD distribution company here in Canada. From what he tells me, business is booming.

Images
    Speaking from experience, streaming isn't going anywhere. The investment from cable and cell companies for faster pipelines is all about video service.

I used to believe mergers were on the horizon, but we're seeing a real holdout and lack of buying interest. Hulu was the litmus test. Comcast could've bought it out or Disney could've closed it. Neither happened. It has no real purpose other than nudging Netflix from another angle.

Images
    Streaming services are here to stay. That's a given no argument there. The prevailing prediction that physical media was going the way of the dinosaurs is what was dead wrong.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hedrap View Post
    Speaking from experience, streaming isn't going anywhere. The investment from cable and cell companies for faster pipelines is all about video service.

I used to believe mergers were on the horizon, but we're seeing a real holdout and lack of buying interest. Hulu was the litmus test. Comcast could've bought it out or Disney could've closed it. Neither happened. It has no real purpose other than nudging Netflix from another angle.
    Yeah, I really thought Disney would fold Hulu content into Disney+ and end Hulu. Maybe they want some sort of comparison of an ad-supported and non-ad supported service. (I realize you can opt for a no-ad version of Hulu, but I think many still use the ad-laiden version).

It will be interesting to see how streaming services adjust to their own proliferation. And even more to see what draws consumers. Especially as content producers continue to try and figure out the balance between licensing your stuff to competing services (big money now) or hoarding it to build your own service (big money later as more subscribe to your service). It was interesting to see this play out as Warner decided to extend use of Friends on Netflix before ending it in favor of their own service.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    ^ The original Hulu plan was to make Netflix pay insane licensing fees until the couldn't afford it, then drop everything on Hulu, but Hastings keeps pushing back. It was just reported they're going to spend 17 billion on content this year.

The studios are in trouble. The price tag is too high for little returns on production/promotional costs and Netflix has no need to own cable channels. Buy Sony, and you lose Spider-Man. CBS/Viacom is valued at 30billion, so that's a merger. If I was Hastings, I'd buy Danjaq/EON and go big on Bond. You could run an MI6 and Felix Lighter series while producing a theatrical Bond every two years.

Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Streaming services are here to stay. That's a given no argument there. The prevailing prediction that physical media was going the way of the dinosaurs is what was dead wrong.
    That's right, thank goodness for MY VIDEO TAPE collection!!

Images
    From what I've read,Disney+ is for kids and families,Hulu is for everyone else.

Universal and Warner just merged their physical media distribution, presumably for efficiency and cost effectiveness. An interesting development.