X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by MRP
    I got this one in one of those polybagged 3 packs for my birthday in either '77 or '78 and it just creeped me out completely. I was afraid to open it up and read the story for a few years. It remains one of my favorite horror comic covers ever...

-M
    Yep, me too, I think it came with Peter Canyon Thunderbolt and a Hercules, I wanted those comics but the middle one was a horror title. Something about the art with the newsprinty look made it creepier. Just thinking about it takes me back to that queasy feeling.

Wasn't this one about Mutants and a guy hanging around with them and then he looks in the mirror and he is one? Blah!
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• YoungOnce
      Career Member
      • Aug 29, 2007

Thanks for sharing these... love ‘em!

I always felt like I was alone in my love for the horror titles back in the day. While my friends were all about the X-Men and the Batman books, here I was trying to complete a run of Weird War Tales...

I did get into a few heroes though... loved DC’s runs with The Shadow and Aparo’s run on The Spectre.

Those books of yours though are just flat-out amazing.

Comment

• Confessional
        Maker & Whatnot
        • Aug 8, 2012

Originally posted by enyawd72
        …reminds me of a local urban legend about the Melon Heads of Kirtland.
        I always loved these horror comics too, but were the Melon Heads of Kirtland like the Fat Heads of Vienna!?! Were they exposed to radiation resulting in deformity and glowing in the dark?

We used to take on night time adventures seeking the vampires, hookman's, and in-breds alike, mostly residing in the old river towns like Wellsville, Steubenville, and Wheeling. <Hahaha!> Ohio and western PA were so rich with such mysterious lore!

Comment

• enyawd72
          Maker of Monsters!
          • Oct 1, 2009

The Melonheads were children who were victims of a crazy doctor who ran an asylum or some such thing. Supposedly all these deformed experimented on children burned the place down and escaped into the nearby woods where they and their offspring have lived ever since. It's literally five minutes from where I work. Off State Rte. 6 down Wisner Rd. It's a VERY creepy area. I went there once and have no desire to go back.

The legend itself sounds pretty ridiculous, but there was a Dr. Crowe, and there was an asylum that burned down. Who knows? People swear they've seen them.

Comment

• bmattioli
            Connecticut Collector
            • Jul 8, 2004

Nice books! I collect Werewolf by Night and always looking for issue 32 ..Love to collect Tomb of Dracula as well..

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎