X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

My Bronze Age Horror Comic Collection

I don't think I've ever discussed my comic collection here at the Mego Museum.

I've begun scanning and archiving my extensive collection of Bronze Age horror books...I collect all titles from all companies.
    All are strict 9.4 to 9.6 grades...most of the Dell and Gold Key are uncirculated file copies.

I own the second highest graded copy of Ghosts #1 and the highest graded copy of Ripley's True Ghost Stories #41

Here's the first batch in no particular order...

• enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

And the second batch...

Comment

• Mr.Marion
      Permanent Member
      • Sep 15, 2014

I used to collect another comic niche romance. They are tough to find and it's a labor of love because their is no money in speculating/ holding on to books. I sold 90% of them off because I didn't want to pay $20 for $3 books to complete my run.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Mr.Marion
        I used to collect another comic niche romance. They are tough to find and it's a labor of love because their is no money in speculating/ holding on to books. I sold 90% of them off because I didn't want to pay $20 for $3 books to complete my run.
        Fortunately most of the horror stuff seems to hold it's value.

Comment

• warlock664
          Persistent Member
          • Feb 15, 2009

Those are sweet! Man, I always loved the covers on those Gold Key books, though I found the interiors somewhat lacking in comparison.
          I have most of the Bronze Age color Marvel horror books (Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, Monster of Frankenstein/Frankenstein Monster, Man-Thing, etc). My favorite BA horror books, though, are the Marvel B&W mags (Dracula Lives!, Monsters Unleashed, Tales of the Zombie, Vampire Tales, Haunt of Horror). Also have a run of Warren’s Vampirella from #8-112 (actually #113, the Harris issue).

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

I don't know much abou these except Tomb of Dracula, but what evocatice covers. I've always liked the painted ones from Dell. Thanks for sharing.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• enyawd72
              Maker of Monsters!
              • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
              I don't know much abou these except Tomb of Dracula, but what evocatice covers. I've always liked the painted ones from Dell. Thanks for sharing.
              Thanks Scott! I was surprised when I really started getting into them years ago just how many different titles there were.

Aside from Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, and Frankenstein Monster, Marvel had Dead of Night, Vault of Evil, Tomb of Darkness, Crypt of Shadows, Chamber of Chills, Weird Wonder Tales, Adventure Into Fear, and several others.
              DC had Ghosts, Secrets of Haunted House, Witching Hour, House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Ghost Castle, Weird War Tales, Unexpected, Weird Mystery, Black Magic, and others.
              Charlton also had a bunch, including Ghostly Tales, Scary Tales, From Beyond the Grave, Creepy Things, Baron Weirwulf's Haunted Library, Monster Hunters, Ghost Manor and more.

Comment

• MRP
                Persistent Member
                • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by enyawd72
                Thanks Scott! I was surprised when I really started getting into them years ago just how many different titles there were.

Aside from Tomb of Dracula, Werewolf by Night, and Frankenstein Monster, Marvel had Dead of Night, Vault of Evil, Tomb of Darkness, Crypt of Shadows, Chamber of Chills, Weird Wonder Tales, Adventure Into Fear, and several others.
                DC had Ghosts, Secrets of Haunted House, Witching Hour, House of Mystery, House of Secrets, Ghost Castle, Weird War Tales, Unexpected, Weird Mystery, Black Magic, and others.
                Charlton also had a bunch, including Ghostly Tales, Scary Tales, From Beyond the Grave, Creepy Things, Baron Weirwulf's Haunted Library, Monster Hunters, Ghost Manor and more.
                I am always on the lookout for reading copies of those books when I go to cons, and especially around Halloween you can find dealers blowing out low to mod-grade copies for a buck or two. I rarely buy high grade stuff myself, as I have a limited budget, but I snap up every one of these I see in dollar bins or in bulk boxes.

-M

PS those are some gorgeous books you posted.
                Last edited by MRP; Jan 8, '20, 11:47 PM.
                "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Those are beautiful. My favorite is the Dell Ghost Stories with the Haunted House. I wonder if today's kids still find that kind of imagery scary. I do!

Comment

• RonnyG
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 23, 2014

Nice collection! Those covers are great! I like the ones where they are talking to someone over their shoulder--unaware that they are talking to a skeleton. There are a couple like that. I'm sure if you look through your collection, you will find more like that.
                    I also like the Gold Key painted covers, too. I have a few of their Dark Shadows and Space Family Robinson comics with the painted covers.
                    Last edited by RonnyG; Jan 9, '20, 7:04 PM.

Comment

• enyawd72
                      Maker of Monsters!
                      • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Hedji
                      Those are beautiful. My favorite is the Dell Ghost Stories with the Haunted House. I wonder if today's kids still find that kind of imagery scary. I do!
                      Yeah, I love that one! Many more like it coming!

Comment

• palitoy
                        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                        • Jun 16, 2001

I was too afraid of these comix as a kid.
                        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• MRP
                          Persistent Member
                          • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by palitoy
                          I was too afraid of these comix as a kid.
                          I got this one in one of those polybagged 3 packs for my birthday in either '77 or '78 and it just creeped me out completely. I was afraid to open it up and read the story for a few years. It remains one of my favorite horror comic covers ever...

-M
                          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by MRP
                            I got this one in one of those polybagged 3 packs for my birthday in either '77 or '78 and it just creeped me out completely. I was afraid to open it up and read the story for a few years. It remains one of my favorite horror comic covers ever...

-M
                            WOW! That is fantastic! It reminds me of a local urban legend about the Melon Heads of Kirtland. I definitely need to track this one down.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                              Verbose Member
                              • Mar 7, 2004

^I didn't know Modern did reprints of Charlton horror mags, but I shouldn't be surprised, since i have their version of E-Man #1, in addition to 60s Captain Atom and Peacemaker comics.

Chris
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎