Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jazwares acquires Hasbro Joe License

Blog Entries
    i think it's a testment to the brand itself that GI Joe means different things to people depending on age. I'm sure there are people who swear by Super Joe or (gasp) Sgt. Savage as their favourite brand. Nobody is wrong for their preference.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    well there were Japanese and German soldiers, then sharks octopi, tigers gators etc.
    Which isn't really feasible anymore in a mass market line aimed at children. Having Germans and Japanese as villains and hunting endangered species just isn't going to fly today. In the last AT attempt, 20 years ago, GI Joe went to trying to save the tigers and pygmy gorillas instead of hunting them. So you'd still need villains.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Blog Entries
    I disagree on the villain thing, my TRU has a robust section of figures that interact with sharks and dinosaurs, etc. You could ostensively create a new iteration of Joe for kids today that has a non-villain theme but focusing on adventure and technology.

RAH itself wasn't a rehash of previous ideas but something that felt timely and it was highly successful, starting from scratch could be a really interesting thing.

Images
    There's a RAH Snake Eyes movie coming out this fall. I'm not against a line of AT Joes Hunting Sharks and Dinosaurs, but I really don't see it happening.

I like RAH the best but there really isn't a version of GI Joe I dislike (except for extreme). Sadly, I don't see 12 inch clothed GI Joe dolls coming back as a retail line aimed at kids. Culture has changed too much. Boys don't dress dolls anymore. I think it would be a really hard sell today. Kind of why Captain Action doesn't work anymore. Why buy a doll and then an outfit to dress him like Batman when you can just buy a Batman.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    Which isn't really feasible anymore in a mass market line aimed at children. Having Germans and Japanese as villains and hunting endangered species just isn't going to fly today. In the last AT attempt, 20 years ago, GI Joe went to trying to save the tigers and pygmy gorillas instead of hunting them. So you'd still need villains.
    all they did was catch the gorilla or Tiger ,sure the diver had a spear gun for the shark. RAH is just not what I grew up on, I was already nearing High School at that point, still read comics and had my old Joes but the new tiny guys didn't do it for me. Too Star Wars looking of a line with all the characters and vehicles. I am sure that is exactly what they were aiming for too.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Oh I hated the venom vs valor figures. They were horrible.but the vehicles were still good.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt View Post
    RAH is just not what I grew up on,
    I totally get that. The original 12 inch Gi Joes and AT Joes were fantastic toys and I've said many times I think the Super Joes are wicked cool.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Werewolf View Post
    I totally get that. The original 12 inch Gi Joes and AT Joes were fantastic toys and I've said many times I think the Super Joes are wicked cool.
    I liked the SuperJoe stuff but never went for it. The shrinking of the Joe figures put me off.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Images
    Blog Entries
    Toy Story covered it pretty well with Combat Carl

Images
    It amazes me we never got movie accurate Combat Carl Toy Story toys.