Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barnabas Collins
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 15, 2010

The packaging for Robby the Robot says it comes with a disintegrator pistol, but I don't see one and neither did the you tube reviewer. Wonder if the PC toy gun madness got to them and it was eliminated?

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

No, there are hundreds of toys with guns and it's at a store that sells real guns two aisles over. So NO.

It's a cheap Chinese company making these, they probably stole the verbiage from a previous package or something.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

I picked up the Iron Giant as a surprise present for my son. He loves the film. It actually says the "I'm Superman" line!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

I bought Robby today, hope to get the Iron Giant next weekend. It's a nice toy at a great price.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Treadwell
            Museum Super Collector
            • Dec 31, 2018

I didn't notice the Trendmasters mention; interesting.
            It's much bigger than the Trendmasters, so no reused tooling. I normally would wonder if they had to pay them for toy rights they might have still owned, but Trendmasters was absorbed by Jakks Pacific, and if any such transaction had been needed, it would have been with them.

Maybe they scanned or pantagraphed the Trendmasters for upscaling some parts??

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 15, 2010

Could be, on the scanning or toy rights. I didn't have the Trendmasters Robby and never saw it. I wonder if Walmart will be selling the Lost in Space robot? One can hope.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• hedrap
                Permanent Member
                • Feb 10, 2009

Originally posted by Barnabas Collins
                The packaging gives a credit to TrendMasters--is it their toy mold from their 1999 remote control version?

Barnabas Collins
                That would indicate Trendmasters still held some licensing control for Robby

Comment

• phil
                  Persistent Member
                  • May 11, 2007

Does Robby come with the pistol or not? Sorry, I'm confused.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                    Persistent Member
                    • Sep 27, 2010

No it does not.

Comment

• phil
                      Persistent Member
                      • May 11, 2007

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                      No it does not.
                      Thank you.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                        Permanent Member
                        • May 15, 2009

Trendmasters doesn't exist anymore. Tons of Robby figures have come out since then with no mention of Trendmasters. This is not a case of "rights".

The package art, box, etc are all bootlegged from the Trendmasters figure. It literally has the EXACT same verbiage as the Trendmasters figure, except it has the part about the "remote control" removed and a Walmart logo slapped on it. It's also the exact same sculpt as the Trendmasters figure, same lights and sounds, just upscaled. This is probably why the pistol is mentioned but not included.

This company may or may not have the rights to release this figure, I can't say, I'll assume they do. But they for all intents and purposes bootlegged the Trendmasters stuff, which is why the package is exactly the same and mentions a defunct toy company.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                          Veteran Member
                          • Feb 15, 2010

Hi. Thanks for the info. Do you by chance know if anyone sells a disintegrator pistol (or similar futuristic pistol) that would reasonably fit the size of the Walmart Robby figure?

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• Goblin19
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 2, 2002

Got my Robby today. I really love him.

Comment

• Barnabas Collins
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 15, 2010

Robby is listed in the Walmart 2020 Christmas toy catalog as on sale for $14.92. Same price in-store. I see these at multiple Walmarts, including extra stock on the top shelf. Too bad these didn't sell better. I was hoping the toy company would make a Lost in Space robot for Walmart.

Barnabas Collins

Comment

• rykerw1701
                                Persistent Member
                                • Aug 27, 2007

Originally posted by Barnabas Collins
                                Robby is listed in the Walmart 2020 Christmas toy catalog as on sale for $14.92. Same price in-store. I see these at multiple Walmarts, including extra stock on the top shelf. Too bad these didn't sell better. I was hoping the toy company would make a Lost in Space robot for Walmart.

Barnabas Collins
                                When they first hit, they were tough to get even at $20. I think there was a lot of speculators grabbing them up, and when there wasn't a market for it, back they came. They are remarkably well done for the price. Other than it being a robot, kids won't connect with the property at all. Walmart might have been better off putting them in the collector area by Mego and Pop items

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎