Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Know What These Spidey Comics Are?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Anyone Know What These Spidey Comics Are?

My mother-in-law found these going through her mother's house. They are re-prints of the first Spidey comics. I'm not sure why she would have a complete set of these as she had no interest whatsoever in comics. I'm wondering if they came as an insert in the newspaper. They have a 2006 copyright. Anyone know anything about these?

Spidey.jpg
    SpideyII.jpg
    SpideyIII.jpg
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Yes, they came as an insert in the newspaper like you thought. I think they came in the New York Post. There were 24 books in the set. I've seen them on ebay before.

just search ebay for: spiderman reprints comic books newspaper
    Last edited by RonnyG; Jan 4, '20, 7:22 PM.

Comment

• enyawd72
      Maker of Monsters!
      • Oct 1, 2009

We had them in the Cleveland Plain Dealer also. I think all the major U.S. newspapers had them.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by enyawd72
        We had them in the Cleveland Plain Dealer also. I think all the major U.S. newspapers had them.
        That would make sense as my wife’s gran lives in a small town in Northern Idaho.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I still wonder why this 96-yr-old saved them from the paper.
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Wee67
          That would make sense as my wife’s gran lives in a small town in Northern Idaho.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. I still wonder why this 96-yr-old saved them from the paper.
          maybe for you? Or sometimes old folks think stuff will be "worth something" if you save it.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• RonnyG
            Career Member
            • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by Wee67

Who knows? Could be any number of things. It was an extra freebie so it didn't cost her anything. Maybe she liked the cover artwork? They are pretty colorful to look at! Maybe she recognized something special or maybe she wanted to save it for her grandchildren.
            And they are worth something now because people are still buying them on ebay, even though those stories have been reprinted many times in numerous book form.
            I did a search of completed auctions on ebay and the highest somebody paid for a set was $50 bucks!

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎