Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was your favorite Radio Station growing up?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.B.
    Guild Navigator
    • Jun 23, 2010

What was your favorite Radio Station growing up?

Now with Satellite Radio, I rarely listen to FM Radio anymore. But back in the 80's, if you were into New Wave/Alternative bands, there was no better Station than 106.7 KROQ. DJ's like PoorMan, Richard Blade, Jed the Fish, Rodney Bingenheimer, Swedish Egil and Freddy Snakeskin were spinning records from The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Echo and the Bunnymen, The Clash, Eurythmics, The Ramones, Bow Wow Wow, Depeche Mode, The Smiths, Duran Duran, INXS, Bowie, New Order, Bananarama, Spandau Ballet, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, UB40 and every other cool band in that genre. They had a late night call in talkshow called Loveline, which covered all things sex and relationships. Dr. Drew Pinsky later joined the show to add some "credibility".

I always had a difficult time getting through to put in a request, but one night I lucked out, got through and put in this request, which they immediately played:

You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

Growing up in Virginia it was 97 Star, when we moved to this area it was Eagle 107. But now it's Spotify.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

In the early to mid 70's WNBC New York City (when they played music)

In the late 70's to 80's WZZO "Z-95" Allentown PA

Also in the 80's, WCBS-FM with Cousin Brucie Morrow

Also also in the 70's, WPLJ New York City

m

Comment

• boss
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 18, 2003

94.7 K-SHE 95. Real Rock Radio. St. Louis
        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• EMCE Hammer
          Moderation Engineer
          • Aug 14, 2003

WLVQ FM96 Columbus AOR They're still around and still in my rotation

Comment

• Confessional
            Maker & Whatnot
            • Aug 8, 2012

Awesome topic! Back in the day if you wanted to seek out cool music on the radio, you had to be adventurous and sometimes drive around in the car for best reception. Here's a few rare jems from airwaves of 86–89' in northeastern Ohio that were formative for me:

• The Maxwell Spike Show 90.7 AM WKTL – All the late night Punk you could want straight outta Struthers High School!

• Grover's Vital Vinyl 1440 am WRRO – Alt, New Wave, Indie, Garage and Psychedelia from a tiny store front in downtown Warren.

• 91.1 FM WRUW – Deep Blues mix and the legendary Joe Frank [WIP] in the midnight hour from Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland.

… Pato Banton, faster rasta-rapper in the world too!

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Growing up, I used to live near an all girls college that had a great radio station.

They used to play full albums … and many weird songs you'd NEVER hear on the radio

It's what got me into Pink Floyd long before the Wall came out.

Comment

• Wee67
                Museum Correspondent
                • Apr 2, 2002

I'd have to answer that in waves. Music was a huge part of my childhood (and remains so, today) and evolved (devolved?) over time.

In Philly as a small kid I listened to 93.3 WMMR, a rock/classic rock station in the 70's.

By the 80's my tastes were spreading out and I tried to pick up 97.5 WPST out of Trenton, NJ. They would play all the classic rock of the 70's I loved but they were never restricted by the larger station's playlists. They would regularly drop in stuff that lived outside the top 40.

High School saw my tastes go deep underground into the post-punk scene and I started heavily listening to 91.7 WKDU (Drexel Univ), 88.5 WXPN (Univ pf Penn) and 91.3 WTSR (then Trenton State now called the College of NJ). I even joined WKDU as a DJ at University.

These days I live on Spotify, but they don't have much of the less well-known stuff I like.
                WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

WDVE is another good one, but can only get it on a clear day.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

WLS out of Chicago. It was pretty big rock station for a while for northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. Not sure if the channel even exists any more.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• sprytel
                      Talkative Member
                      • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by B-Lister
                      WDVE is another good one, but can only get it on a clear day.
                      Oh wow... WDVE was a great station! I started listening when I got to Richmond... and was bummed when they changed formats.

Before that, in Tampa, my station of choice was WMNF.

Comment

• PeterBruce
                        • Jan 4, 2020

Originally posted by sprytel
                        Oh wow... WDVE was a great station! I started listening when I got to Richmond... and was bummed when they changed formats.

Before that, in Tampa, my station of choice was WMNF.
                        My all time favorite is KOST 103.5 FM. Still watch the studio tour of KOST from way back. How radio has changed.

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
                          Career Member
                          • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          WLS out of Chicago. It was pretty big rock station for a while for northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. Not sure if the channel even exists any more.
                          it does, but it is NOW AM and not FM and its not rock, but pop-muzak

the days of Larry Lujack are long gone...

the LOOP back in the 80's rawked and now I only listen to Metv-FM 87.7

and the classical station 98.7 WFMT

and I do WXRT only for "BREAKFAST WITH THE BEATLES" when I am awake on SUnday mornings, which is RARE!!!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

98.1 WKQQ (or Double Q) out of Lexington, KY. A classic rock station that would play new music that was in that vein, but avoided "hair metal". They played Guns n' Roses, but not Warrant, for instance.

They had DJs that were constantly getting suspended for being too "suggestive", although some of that was probably just a gimmicky way to give them vacations and create an air of "danger" about it.

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎