X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: The Incredible Doctor Steel

We return with an exhaustive look at one of the most iconic action figures of the 1970s, the enforcer with a ghastly gleaming hand, the incredible Dr. Steel. We explore the character's origins, many foreign iterations, knock offs and all the different variations. Special thanks to Pascal Pinteau for his amazing help with this one, To order his magical book "Big Jim: Un Monde D'Adventures" click here: https://amzn.to/37qi0dW Hosted and edited by Brian Heiler (@plaidstallions) PlaidStallions Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Plaidstallio... Plaidstallions facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/22262... Twitter: @plaidstallionsFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Brown Bear
    Still Old School
    • Feb 14, 2008

One of the all time coolest figures ever made from ANY line. Always loved Dr Steel. I remember as a kid making him box and his theme song was Black Betty. I still think of the figure every time I hear that song.
    Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Brown Bear
      Still Old School
      • Feb 14, 2008

And btw, a lot of work obviously went into this video and I personally really enjoyed every second of this. Thank you!
      Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

thank you, it was a three-day journey.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Falstaff13
          Persistent Member
          • May 28, 2008

I enjoyed this one greatly. I don't really know Big Jim as well as I should, and your videos are nice little intros to the elements.
          Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
          Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Excellent! I loves me some Big Jim. I've wanted this figure for a long time, but I've never seen it in a condtion and price that was right for me. Someday...

And yes, Pinteau's book is wonderful. It strained my decayed French to the utmost, but it's worth it.

This was very informative--Chief Tankua next?
            Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 31, '19, 4:12 PM.
            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

I"m still amazed that Mattel hasn't reissued Big Jim. But I'm sure these detailed figures are now costly to produce, and I wonder, too if the molds are lost.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Another Big Jim MOTU link. Tony Guerrero sculpted the original He-Man prototype.

It's fortunate Jim didn't suffer the fate of so many Joes from the era. There still seems to be a good supply of intact figures.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• sprytel
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 26, 2009

Great video. I never knew Dr. Steel's backstory, but he was such a striking figure that I loved playing with him. I hope we see more videos on the PACK figures.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Great video! I somehow missed out on Big Jim, but I remember those PACK ads by Kirby. Just wonderfully designed and executed toys.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• toyhunter1970
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 24, 2020

i thought i was the only guy who liked this figure

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢