X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Megotastrophe
    Permanent Member
    • Jun 29, 2018

Steve Austin Invented Cyberpunk?

Ok watching an episode of 6M$M and they have a new Guinea pig in the lab. They turn his brain into a hard drive. At one point they teach him martial arts through his neural interface. Pretty much just like in the Matrix. Just thought that was a cool thing.
  • Makernaut
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 22, 2015

Now that's interesting.

I'd make the argument that (and I am spitballing for the sake of argument....no expert) that, depending on when the episode hit (which episode was it?) that neither "cyber" nor "punk" were clearly defined, much less the term "Cyberpunk". However, it is very clear that all of the antecedents were floating around to be combined and defined from technology, fiction, and rock music since at least the mid-60s so who the hell can say? Interesting and damned relevant point along the way for that to have been in so popular a television show. I know the TV show was rooted in a sci-fi novel. Was that part of the novel, too?
    Last edited by Makernaut; Dec 29, '19, 9:51 PM.

Comment

• Megotastrophe
      Permanent Member
      • Jun 29, 2018

The concept of the neural interface was with the cybernetic eye. The main thing about the episode to me was that they downloaded raw data into his brain and he used to do kung fu. It was such an apples to apples moment it just struck me as odd.

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Thats interesting. Haven't seen the show since I was a kid and none of this would have been relevant to me then. Aside from Big Foot, the toys and "nananannana", what did I know about that show, then? Might be worth a revisit, for sure.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎