X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

After a year...still on shelf

After I year of Mego being reintroduced back on store shelves there are STILL Target picked figures on the shelf at full price, WHY??

I used to be able to walk into any Target and pick up new Megos but after wave 3 nothing. What was bad is I would clear off the shelf just to come back and they would restock them with wave 1!! I have had to order most of my figures from online. Yes I ordered them from Target.com but I have yet to actually see wave wave 7 at the store or on Target's site. Columbo

Here recently I went to a local Target and bought all there wave 1-3 figures for $6.50 just to clear them out in hopes to get new figures in. Then I went to a store that is a little further away but on the way to the VS Hospital I have to go to once a month and they had the same figures at (wave 1-3) at full price and most of them could not hang on the shelf. WHY! Happy that they had a few Star Trek figures but I bought them awhile back and at less than Target prices.

20191226_111915.jpg

Even at $6.50 clearing out the wave 1-3 still cost when there are over 10 figures sitting on the shelf!
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

The answer is pretty obvious. Since those figures were Target's idea, marking them down and admitting they were a bad idea that won't sell probably isn't going to happen.

Target may have actually lost money (or made very little profit) on their Mego experiment, and may not be willing to risk future releases as a result.

Comment

• powersthatbe
      Persistent Member
      • Sep 27, 2010

at my target a month ago they had lee, trek, Jim I, monsters etc on the pegs pretty full now two days after Christmas just too ties and and kris Monroe. So they sold well at mine.

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

The monsters and Trek sold well at mine. Everything else is still there and just keeps getting moved around.

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

My Target shelves have been empty of 8" Mego for months, only 14" Batgirl and Poison Ivy linger.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

Heavy sitcom focus plus generic likenesses was probably not the best idea.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
              Trek or Treat
              • Jan 20, 2011

Sorry if this was already discussed, but why didn't new Mego make 8" DC heroes? they would have done very well, better sales than 12" versions. I agree with Werewolf about poor sales because of sitcom focus and generic likenesses, plus the fact they never finished sitcom sets or Charlie's Angels for that matter, never saw a Sabrina character or Bosely, same
              issue for Happy Days. Brady Bunch and Facts of Life. The focus should have been on Monsters and Star Trek putting out 2 figures per wave, were on wave 8 now, which would have been 16 Trek (TOS) characters, so most likely Scotty and McCoy would have already been released and in our hands.

Trek, Monsters and 8" heroes would have sold out like hot cakes, I doubt very much we would have seen them still hanging on the racks almost a year after coming out and being sold on clearance sales.

Comment

• Timothy2251
                Jerks beef with Ten Bears
                • Mar 15, 2008

8" DC Superheroes are still on the table, per Doc and Marty. Probably will pop up after Toy Fair or something.

As for the sitcom figures, those were Target's idea. Target had the licensing for those and Mego needed the distribution target could provide, hence Waves 1 and 2 for Mego Corp's first year. Now that their exclusive deal with target is done, we're getting more Monsters, Lord of the Rings, DC superheroes, etc.
                Last edited by Timothy2251; Dec 27, '19, 8:35 PM.
                "It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues. There is iron in your words of death for all Comanche to see, and so there is iron in your words of life. No signed paper can hold the iron. It must come from men. The words of Ten Bears carries the same iron of life and death. It is good that warriors such as we meet in the struggle of life... or death. It shall be life."

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                  Often invisible
                  • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by TrekStar
                  Sorry if this was already discussed, but why didn't new Mego make 8" DC heroes?
                  Ask Warner Brothers.
                  Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• RonnyG
                    Career Member
                    • Apr 23, 2014

I remember reading somewhere that Mego couldn't make 8" DC heroes at the time because Figures Toy Company was already making them and had the rights for 8" figures.
                    However, it was announced (at Toy Fair?) that Mego will be making them next year, so I guess FTC's exclusive deal is over.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                      Talkative Member
                      • May 11, 2013

After looking back at the image they released way to many female characters in wave 1-3. I mean who was the target on these?

Charlie's Angels 3 female figures
                      Charmed 3 female figures
                      Brady Bunch 2 female figures
                      Married with Children 2 female figures
                      WOZ 2 female figures
                      Bewitched 3 female figures
                      Facts of Life 3 female figures

The only male figures I see on shelves of Norm. It was unusual to see Fonz and Hendrix on the shelf. The image was taken after I straight them up so yeah there were mostly female figures.
                      Last edited by monitor_ep; Dec 28, '19, 3:33 AM.
                      Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• LonnieFisher
                        Eloquent Member
                        • Jan 19, 2008

They should have been in the girl's isle.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
                          Often invisible
                          • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by monitor_ep
                          After looking back at the image they released way to many female characters in wave 1-3. I mean who was the target on these?
                          Shopping moms and the people who bought DVDs of old TV shows were the target.
                          Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

Just got back from dropping my nephew back at his parents house so I thought why not go and see if I can find Megos: When to a Walmart this is on the list of getting in Megos
                            Pearland TX Walmart.jpg
                            and NOPE nothing

So I went across the street to check on Target and WOW I found the elusive Mego wave 1 at full price, color me shocked because they were not there last week.
                            Pearland TX Target (1).jpgPearland TX Target (2).jpg

Also the had NECA Golden Girls in the Jurassic Park section...go figure..
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• ODBJBG
                              Permanent Member
                              • May 15, 2009

None of my Targets ever really saw anything past Wave 1. Which outside of the heavy hitters, like Dracula, Spock, ever sold. Which is exactly what I predicted when the line launched. I'd say Wave 2 or 3 managed to get shipped, maybe once in one or two of the stores. I have nearly a dozen Targets in a major metropolis area. We ended up with stacks of Wave 1 on the pegs. They were clearanced out over the summer. None of them carry Mego now.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎