X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Pod Stallions 73: Guilty Pleasures?

Our last podcast of the year began with the premise of Guilt Pleasures but evolved live into a discussion of whether or not the concepts should exist anymore at all.

This episode covers a ton of ground and includes a variety of topics including Jim Wynorski, Life Force (again), Hallmark channel movies, comfort food, there is a whole point where we just fanboy about the Watchman and we crescendo into Jason's new friendship with Rian Johnson. It's one of the most fun experiences we've had in taping this show and honestly, that's saying a lot.

Also, I'm super sorry about the sound quality, i've already made some purchases to fix that in the new year.

Please give us spirited debate in our new Facebook group.

PODSTALLIONS ON ITUNES
    PODSTALLIONS RSS FEED

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Falstaff13
    Persistent Member
    • May 28, 2008

What a great way to start Christmas Eve. I was thinking during it that really cult classics and guilty pleasures are often very different, with one being underappreciated when it first comes out and then growing in esteem with a small, fervent group, and the other being perhaps popular but definitely panned, yet fans still find something to enjoy about it (only to keep it quiet overall). I think the Hook example ("I was a kid when it came out") is a sort of human nature to hold onto and defend things we like and to try to make them higher quality than they really are. (I don't mean to bash Hook here, but I think it fits that pattern of people nostalgically holding onto what they were first drawn to.)

I totally get the discussion about Roadhouse. I've had friends argue its merits, but I get just liking it for what it is. To me, those are the fun guilty pleasure movies, and I have a few--I don't pretend the Wild Wild West movie is good, but I will stop flipping channels when it is on and watch it, because there are moments in it that I find fun, and I like the Kline/Smith chemistry.

I totally agree with the point about the internet having made all of this more open to connect fans, and I think it'll be interesting to see in the next few years what does rise up to the level of cult classic, and how much of that is driven by internet buzz, or if we just have pockets on the web supporting a variety of things.
    Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
    Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Late to the party, catching up on some older episodes. Great discussion. The only property I can think of that I BELIEVE is universally reviled, and I don't think is even appreciated ironically is the syndicated sitcom, "Small Wonder".

Am I wrong?

Other than that, yeah, I think its all fair game now, which is good to me.

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
        Late to the party, catching up on some older episodes. Great discussion. The only property I can think of that I BELIEVE is universally reviled, and I don't think is even appreciated ironically is the syndicated sitcom, "Small Wonder".

Am I wrong?

Other than that, yeah, I think its all fair game now, which is good to me.
        You won't believe it but a flippant remark about "Small Wonder" once gained me the ire of its Superfan. There is that person who thinks it's amazing.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

^Actually, I do believe it. Everything is someone's sacred cow, not to be offensive to any religious beliefs.

Wow, though, Small Wonder? I like a lot of schlocky stuff, but, as a kid, that was the only TV show that made me uncomfortable because I felt bad for the cast and the people who made it. It was like watching a bad talent show act at an elementary school.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I don't know if I have anything that really qualifies as a guilty pleasure. I mean I like movies like Hawk the Slayer and Krull. But I unironically like them. Does that still qualify? Maybe Yor? I know it's terrible but it's still kinda fun. But I don't enjoy it as much or watch it as often as something like Dragonslayer or Krull.
            Last edited by Werewolf; Feb 25, '20, 2:08 PM.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• palitoy
              • Jun 16, 2001

Wow, though, Small Wonder? I like a lot of schlocky stuff, but, as a kid, that was the only TV show that made me uncomfortable because I felt bad for the cast and the people who made it. It was like watching a bad talent show act at an elementary school.

i can't remember the circumstance but an errant "Scrappy Doo" reference was like the last straw for his biggest fan and they freaked out at me on platform, I kind of felt bad. Like that guy was sitting there going "if one more person craps on Scrappy Doo" and along came Brian....

I don't know if I have anything that really qualifies as a guilty pleasure. I mean I like movies like Hawk the Slayer and Krull. But I unironically like them. Does that still qualify? Maybe Yor? I know it's terrible but it's still kinda fun. But I don't enjoy it as much or watch it as often as something like Dragonslayer or Krull.
              I personally prefer Yor to Krull for sure, it's not as well made by any means but none the less.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^Speaking of Yor, I actually like the Reb Brown Captain America movies. They are like Long Johns Silvers. I loved eating there as a kid, but it tears my stomach up now. But every two years or so, I eat it, and I enjoy it. I may suffer a bit, but it's worth it.

I love the theme completely unironically.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                  • Jun 16, 2001

^Speaking of Yor, I actually like the Reb Brown Captain America movies. They are like Long Johns Silvers. I loved eating there as a kid, but it tears my stomach up now. But every two years or so, I eat it, and I enjoy it. I may suffer a bit, but it's worth it.

I love the theme completely unironically.
                  It's a Mike Post theme, it's weird that a TV Movie got one of those.

And yes, I like them too, it's childhood. The second one is way better than the first one IMO.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Oh yes, the second has Christopher Lee. That alone makes it better. Plus Connie Selleca.

I know some folks really revile those films, and they aren't great cinema or anything, and they very loosely adapted the character, but I still wish that had went to series.

They are just fun. I think overall they are better made than the Spider-Man TV movies/series, but I will defer to Nicholas Hammond at the better lead actor for an ongoing show.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Can you imagine a Spider-Man, Cap and Hulk crossover from that period?

Comment

• Werewolf
                        Inhuman
                        • Jul 14, 2003

I think the costume in the second Cap movie was actually pretty good. It's a shame it never got an official toy.
                        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                          Verbose Member
                          • Mar 7, 2004

^Oh jeez, yes. I know Nicholas Hammond has posited he was asked about reprising the Spidey role in the mid 80s before those Hulk TV movies got going. He even said they talked about putting him in the then "new" black costume. Now Lou Ferrigno says he has no memory at all of this, so I don't know if there's anything to it...but if only!

And we have to throw in Peter Hooten's Doctor Strange!

I think the costume in the second Cap movie was actually pretty good. It's a shame it never got an official toy.
                          Yeah, I liked it too. He has a mask under his helmet in that one, and I kept hoping he had a full regular cowl beneath that huge helmet. I think that's the one misstep with the costume.

Chris
                          sigpic

Comment

• sprytel
                            Talkative Member
                            • Jun 26, 2009

Sorry, not really related, but I was just thinking about this... was there a Retro Awards episode of Pod Stallions this year? I always look forward to that one for all the good suggestions of things I missed and need to check out.

I didn't see one in the back episodes on iTunes, but there are other episodes that are missing from there.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎