Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FX's new version of "A Christmas Carol" Oh. My. God.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hedrap
    Permanent Member
    • Feb 10, 2009

I think this was made for me. I love anything Victorian that has shades of life in Whitechapel.

Outside Magoo, I can't recall another version I liked. Maybe Stewart's.

If I was shown George C Scott's version one more time, I'd beat someone with Scrooge's cane.

Originally posted by ODBJBG
    I would argue that Scrooge is miserable, precisely because he doesn't care for his fellow man.

He's reminded of a time when he did care for others and how that brought him true joy. Whereas now he THINKS he's happy with his wealth and greed, but it's not true fulfillment.
    That was Dickens exact point.
    Last edited by hedrap; Dec 20, '19, 12:22 PM.

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Werewolf

I think we all tend to have this romanticized view of Victorian England when in reality it was an veritable hell scape for the poor and working class. As gross as it sounds I can see someone of that era relieving themselves on a cruel man's grave as well as the language and other horrors. Life for most was absolutely miserable and the greedy and cruel rarely if ever reformed or were punished.
      There is a really great UK series called "Year of the Rabbit" which is about a detective in Victorian London, it's a comedy but it especially revels in how gross it really was.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
        Inhuman
        • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
        it's a comedy but it especially revels in how gross it really was.
        Yeah, on average, I really don't think people realize how horrific it really was. Aside from the relative opulence of the upper class, the majority lived in poverty with little food. Cities were a crowded, crime ridden, unsanitary nightmare of illness, pollution, stench and despair. At times the smoke billowing out from the factories would have looked like it was blocking out the sun. It would have seemed like an actual hell on earth.
        You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• powersthatbe
          Persistent Member
          • Sep 27, 2010

My favorite Scrooge take was Albert Finney's. This version sounds horrid and repulsive but I agree that is was most likely a ugly time to live in.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

My fav versions of A Christmas Carol is THANK YOU VERY MUCH and Mr Magoo

All other versions are BORING

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
              Verbose Member
              • Mar 7, 2004

I had a coworker send me the trailer, and I instantly thought this was just blasphemous and ill-intended. Dickens almost single-handedly revived Christmas through his works, (not just Scrooge's story), and was definitely trying to show that the better aspects of mankind could and should be on display during the season. I haven't watched this, but whoever made it is literally ****ing all over Dickens' original intent as well.

Solid pass for me. I've already watched the Muppets version and Magoo, I'm going to watch Sim's (my favorite) and Finney's (my #2) this weekend.

Chris
              sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

When I heard about this, I had high hopes. I've just finished it, and it really was a slog to get through. They seemed to want a Gothic look, but even then it was dimly lit and lacked a real punch other than getting away with some F-bombs and being deliberately outre.
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• JediJaida
                  Talkative Member
                  • Jun 14, 2008

I took one look at the trailer and it was an instant pass for me.

I much prefer Alistair Sim, Albert Finney, Mr. Magoo and yes, even George C. Scott over this dreck.
                  JediJaida

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Mickey's Christmas Carol is my favorite. I mean come on, it's got Scrooge McDuck as Scrooge. It's brilliant.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

Sometimes I think these newer productions are just trying too hard to be "new", thinking that edgier is somehow better.

I'm reminded of the execrable 2006 British tv version of Dracula. Starring David Suchet whom I usually enjoy, it focused on family drama and STDs over textual fidelity and vampirism. Awful.

I won't be wasting my time with this Christmas Carol.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                        Citizen of Gotham
                        • Nov 17, 2012

Patrick Stewart's version is often overlooked. It's a bit... 90s TNT, but still very good.

The most overlooked is Richard Williams' and Chuck Jones' animated version, which is just brilliant.

I have no need for what is described here. Thanks for the avoidance warning.

Comment

• powersthatbe
                          Persistent Member
                          • Sep 27, 2010

any fans of Bill Murray's Scrooged? (which I've never seen; just thought of.)

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Andy, as always thanks for the referral--I was only famliar with the 1969 animated adaptation, which I saw many times as a child. It was my first exposure to Dicken's story.
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                              Muddling through
                              • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by powersthatbe
                              any fans of Bill Murray's Scrooged? (which I've never seen; just thought of.)
                              love Scrooged. classic film.

Comment

• Spawn67
                                Career Member
                                • Aug 14, 2009

I saw it randomly and thought it was dreadful. I see it as a modern take on a classic but doesn’t do it for me.
                                I then put on the George C Scott version which I like a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎