X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Myoldtoys
    Veteran Member
    • May 15, 2012

'Tis the season...for classic toys

I don't have my vintage toys on display. The model cars I build are always displayed (about 40 of them) and my daughter and I have a fair amount of Lego around the house. The vintage action figures live in a closet. They come out periodically, get played with, and then back into the boxes. I decided that Christmas was a good time to get these guys out on display. Friends and family will be coming over. I think it will be fun to play with them an reminisce. This is just the start. We'll call it the early 1970's section. I will post more as I unpack.

• PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Great display. I'm a big fan of the Gabriel Lone Ranger line.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
      Veteran Member
      • May 15, 2012

I made some progress on my display this evening. I am into the late 1970's now. Star Wars, Buck Rogers, and my original Legoland sets. Didn't really mention it in the first post. Almost all of this is from my childhood collection. You can also see most of my model car collection as well. Seven of those I have had since the mid 1980's, and restored them.

Last edited by Myoldtoys; Dec 19, '19, 9:04 PM. Reason: wrong link

Comment

• VintageJoe70
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 12, 2016

I remember having some of those legoland space sets...They were awesome along with the crater base plates....

Went through a big model building stage, but mine were mainly the 70s kooky show rod kits...I remember building that magnum pi Ferrari....

I have often thought of getting into the gabriel lone ranger line but I collect so much now I dont know where I'd put it...

Great collection you have there...
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• Myoldtoys
          Veteran Member
          • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by VintageJoe70
          I remember having some of those legoland space sets...They were awesome along with the crater base plates....

Went through a big model building stage, but mine were mainly the 70s kooky show rod kits...I remember building that magnum pi Ferrari....

I have often thought of getting into the gabriel lone ranger line but I collect so much now I dont know where I'd put it...

Great collection you have there...
          You noticed the Magnum PI Ferrari. I've had that one since maybe 1982. It's hanging out there with the car from Knight Rider and the General Lee. One of the nice things about collecting the Lone Ranger line is that it isn't a big line. I have what you see there plus the Lost Cavalry playset, doubles of the LR, Tonto, Silver, and Scout. The only other item I would like to get is Butch's horse Smoke. It's harder to find and normally sells for more that I would like to pay.

The Lego space sets were awesome. Those 3 Lego space sets were all I had as a child. About 3 years ago, I bought a large amount of Lego in a bin. Turns out that in the bin were about 80% of the parts for a bunch of the space sets. I filled in the rest with small parts lots on eBay and Bricklink. Now I have all the sets from 1979, 1980, and most from 1981. Here is a pic from before I completed some of the smaller sets.

Last edited by Myoldtoys; Dec 20, '19, 8:15 AM. Reason: bad link

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Very cool collection !!!

Comment

• Myoldtoys
              Veteran Member
              • May 15, 2012

Thanks for the compliments everyone. None of my friends or co-workers are interested in this kind of stuff. This forum is one of my only outlets.

Putting this display together has made me think about how I would rank my collection in terms of favorites. Here goes...

1. Kenner Star Wars Figures
              2. Tamiya/Fujimi/MPC/IMC/Aurora/Revell/Monogram Model Automobiles
              3. LEGO
              4. Hasbro ARAH GI Joe
              5. Gabriel Lone Ranger
              6. Ideal Evel Knievel Stunt Cycle
              7. Hasbro Original GI Joe and Adventure Team
              8. Mego figures
              9. Playmobil Figures (cowboys and indians mostly)
              10. Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars

Comment

• Mikey
                Verbose Member
                • Aug 9, 2001

Those cars are models ???

I thought they were pre made/painted miniatures

Dang fine job !!!

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Wonderful collection! I love those old Lego space sets. Those were great toys.
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by Mikey
                    Those cars are models ???

I thought they were pre made/painted miniatures

Dang fine job !!!

Thanks! What you see there is about 25 years worth of model building. My wife and I used to travel to vintage racing events before my daughter was born. The models were a way to enjoy that hobby since I didn't have millions to spend on the real thing. Some have been built and rebuilt as my skills improved. I scratch build a lot of parts and do a lot of detailing under the hood that you can't see there. The R2-D2 in the case is also the old MPC model kit. I just bought another one of those to build as a gift for a friend.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by Werewolf
                      Wonderful collection! I love those old Lego space sets. Those were great toys.
                      They are addictive too. Once I had a few, I wanted to assemble more sets. I loved sorting out all the LEGO and using the inventory lists on Bricklink to make sure they were complete.
                      Last edited by Myoldtoys; Dec 20, '19, 7:53 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

• TrekStar
                        Trek or Treat
                        • Jan 20, 2011

The Gabriel Lone Ranger set is just awesome, and they all look in mint condition. I wish I had these and I'm very
                        jealous, beautiful set.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by TrekStar
                          The Gabriel Lone Ranger set is just awesome, and they all look in mint condition. I wish I had these and I'm very
                          jealous, beautiful set.
                          Thank you. Believe it or not, they were played with quite a bit. Guess I was lucky. The ranger's suit didn't fade much. I left the guns in the holsters for years and they never melted like 90% of them did. The clothes washed well and I ironed them. I did replace or upgrade a couple parts. I managed to find an auction for Tonto' headdress. The pictures were terrible and it came with his suit. It turned out to be that mint looking suit and the headdress even had the feather. $14 for all of it. The boxes for the figures were another bad eBay listing. They were a set and listed as the Long Ranger. $25 for the set. If you are willing to piece them together and be patient, you can have a nice set without spending much.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 15, 2012

I am still adding more to the display. We've reached the point where my wife has stopped commenting about what I am doing. So I might as well add more! hahaha.

This shelf is dedicated to the Empire Strikes Back. I never got any ships from Empire. The Cloud City playset was the only larger item I got, and I only wanted that because you got the four figures before they were released individually. Mid way through the Empire line I stopped buying Star Wars figures and switched to GI Joe's. I completed the Empire figures a couple years ago. They all have original (non-repro) accessories.

I have almost all the GI Joe line from 1982 and 1983 (couple 1984 figures). I have decided to not put them out. There are too many big items, and every time I mess with the figures something seems to break. They all have thumbs and I'm going to keep it that way.

Last edited by Myoldtoys; Dec 21, '19, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• tay666
                              Career Member
                              • Dec 27, 2008

What a really cool collection, and a wonderful display.
                              I really like the Star Wars because, of course, I collected and played with those too.

I really like your model collection. I don't do cars myself, but I do build lots of other models, so I can appreciate the amount of work you put into them.

Sadly, I never had any legos growing up. My parents just never got me any.
                              My only exposure was at my best friend's house. He had those space sets, but we never built what you were supposed to with them.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎