X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Popy TV Heroes

Toy-Ventures this week is all about the Mego Inspired line by Popy of Japan where they took the concept of the "World's Greatest Superheros" but used their own homegrown TV Superheroes at the time. It resulted in 8" Mego like figures of Ultraman, Kamen Rider, Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets to us) and Battle Fever J. Hosted and edited by Brian Heiler (@plaidstallions)
    PlaidStallions Facebook Page
    Plaidstallions facebook group
    Twitter: @plaidstallionsFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • B-Lister
    Eccentric Weirdo
    • Mar 19, 2010

My favorite line. I hope you do one on the 3.75" World Heroes line too!

I'll be looking for Kamen Rider, and maybe Ultraman in Japan in Feb.
    Last edited by B-Lister; Dec 17, '19, 11:10 AM.
    Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by B-Lister
      My favorite line. I hope you do one on the 3.75" World Heroes line too!
      Yeah I plan too but it's going to be a bit more involved, so probably in the new year some time.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• B-Lister
        Eccentric Weirdo
        • Mar 19, 2010

That's fine by me! Gives me time to track a few down before the video sends people clamoring for them!
        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I have always wondered what their bodies looked like, so thanks for the in-depth peek. I will admit I don't have much nostalgia for these characters, due to most of them never playing in my area as a kid, but they are very nice and very Mego-like, so of course I dig them nonetheless. I would have loved that BOTP/Gatchaman figure, though!!!

Great video, and congrats on the anniversary. As I said on FB, your videos never fail to get me excited, and often perk up what has been a pretty crummy day, in some aspects.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

I have little to no knowledge or nostalgia for these characters but I still love seeing stuff like this. I enjoying seeing toys out of my normal range of interest and knowledge and experience people's love for them. I may not want to collect them but a cool toy is a cool toy. Thank you for sharing.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• tay666
              Career Member
              • Dec 27, 2008

Just for nostalgia, I would like to have Ultraman or Gatchaman, but not interested enough to pay the going rates for them.

Cool to see them though.

Comment

• ODBJBG
                Permanent Member
                • May 15, 2009

Always wanted the Ultraman & Ultra 7 and I wouldn't mind a couple of those Kamen Riders either. Must have beeb exceptionally cool to have them back then.

Comment

• Confessional
                  Maker & Whatnot
                  • Aug 8, 2012

I have zero childhood connection to these in any way and they've always been crazy compelling to me… Mego + Japanese Toy Culture = F!Awesomeness!

Comment

• palitoy
                    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                    • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Confessional
                    I have zero childhood connection to these in any way and they've always been crazy compelling to me… Mego + Japanese Toy Culture = F!Awesomeness!
                    There is a tremendous amount of FOMO when I watch vintage Japanese toy commercials.
                    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Confessional
                      Maker & Whatnot
                      • Aug 8, 2012

^^ Oh, I get it! I posted before about the vintage Japanese toy advert thread at skullbrain… it's absolutely mind blowing (with each viewing!) for a so many reasons.

The cultural divide in toy history [sic] is one of the most fascinating things to me, which lead to collecting/searching for Apes globally. I often think about how POTA would have played out in far east differently with slightly different timing. What did emerge on the tale-end of Apemania is supercool, but <Ahhhh!> what could have been.

Last edited by Confessional; Dec 21, '19, 10:52 AM. Reason: … bang, bang!

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I love these though I have no personal frame of reference. I wouldn't mind one in my collection as a placeholder, but I'm not sure which one. The buggy look of Kamen Rider appeals to me.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• B-Lister
                          Eccentric Weirdo
                          • Mar 19, 2010

I deffo want the riders.

Owashii Ken is also cool, but the most expensive.

Comment

• cooperdraw
                            • Nov 26, 2019

I'd love to take a trip to Japan and go toy hunting in Tokyo. Although the amount of money I fantasize about spending is a little scary. Definitely will be adding these to the list. :D

Looking forward to your World Heroes episode!

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

I'm taking that very trip, and spending that obscene money in just five weeks. Nakano Broadway here I come!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎