X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedji
    Citizen of Gotham
    • Nov 17, 2012

FANTASTIC Article on THE BLACK HOLE

Take your time and read this WONDERFUL article on the making of The Black Hole. I wish these kind of interviews were on the home video. Some absolutely delightful anecdotes that paint a picture of a very happy production, despite the lack of focus for the ending.

This will be the best thing you'll read on the internet today, guaranteed:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...r-wars-1262526
  • drquest
    ~~/\~~\o/~~/\~~Shark!
    • Apr 17, 2012

I just read that last night. It was a good read!

Timely too as I just got this in the mail on Thursday.

Last edited by drquest; Dec 14, '19, 11:32 AM.
    Danny(Drquest)
    Captain Action HQ
    Retro shirts and stuff
    More retro shirts
    Stuff For Sale

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

Hahah! I have that same garbage can! Love it!

Comment

• enyawd72
        Maker of Monsters!
        • Oct 1, 2009

^When you throw trash in it does it disappear? LOL

Comment

• Hedji
          Citizen of Gotham
          • Nov 17, 2012

Nothing can escape the trash can, not even light.

Comment

• enyawd72
            Maker of Monsters!
            • Oct 1, 2009

^LOL...just finished the article. That was a great read.

Having just watched the Blu-ray recently, I have to say, it made me realize just how special Star Wars really is.

The Black Hole feels very dated to me. Don't get me wrong...I absolutely love it, it's one of my favorite films of all time. But seeing the first five minutes of Star Wars you're in a completely different world...it's so real.
            It's almost inconceivable to me that George Lucas and his team were able to pull off something that looks and sounds as good as Star Wars in 1977, when Disney, who had far more resources could not.

And then for Lucas and company to do it AGAIN in 1980, and even MORE impressive the second time is just crazy.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

Disney wasn't this ginormous cash rich company back then. During their experimental Black Hole/Tron/Black Cauldron era they weren't really doing all that well.

Black Hole is a very different beast than SW. It's not Sci-fi fantasy, like SW. It's sci-fi horror and kind of dark. But also it still feels very old school Disney to me in away. It's basically a haunted house movie in space. I really like it.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                Master of Fowl Play
                • Jun 5, 2008

I truly enjoyed the candid, fond reminiscences in this article.

I haven't seen The Black Hole in a few years, but I think I enjoy it much more now than as a 13-year-old. I can gloss over the creakiness and appreciate its positive qualities. The sinister, obsessive aspects of Reinhardt are engaging, the creepiness of the film unusual for Disney and seen also in The Black Cauldron.
                Last edited by PNGwynne; Dec 14, '19, 6:36 PM.
                WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

I love that "Old Disney" feel of the whole film, with the sets, the matte paintings, and the animated laser explosions. It is really a time capsule of as Werewolf put it, when Disney wasn't the powerhouse it is now.

I get that it doesn't work for everyone, but I loved it as a kid, and I love it now. So, for me, it never disappointed in any way. I wasn't expecting Star Wars. I just wanted more robots and lasers in space. I do like the creepiness too. Werewolf's analogy to a Space Haunted House is a very accurate and appealing one. I like that!

Comment

• sprytel
                    Talkative Member
                    • Jun 26, 2009

Wow, crazy... I never saw the Black Hole as a kid, but I just watched it for the first time on Disney+ earlier this week. And then I listened to the Black Hole episode of Pod Stallions just two days ago (actually I started it months ago, but they say "don't listen any further if you haven't seen the movie"... so I was pretty chuffed I could now go back and finish the podcast). And now this great article. Must be kismet.

Comment

• Werewolf
                      Inhuman
                      • Jul 14, 2003

The Cygnus isn't the typical sci-fi spaceship. It's like Gothic architecture and the lighting of the model is absolutely gorgeous. It really is like a giant haunted house flying through space. The entire movie is just so wonderfully spooky and atmospheric.
                      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• knight errant00
                        8 Inch Action Figure
                        • Nov 15, 2005

I was talking with a friend of mine after the last time I watched it (about a year ago), and I noted then that the movie would have been cutting edge about 15 years before -- had that exact movie (minus the computer FX) come out around 1965, it would be considered a masterful classic instead of the fondly-remembered footnote it's become.

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by Werewolf
                          Disney wasn't this ginormous cash rich company back then. During their experimental Black Hole/Tron/Black Cauldron era they weren't really doing all that well.
                          They still had more resources than George Lucas....the budget for the Black Hole was almost twice that of Star Wars and looking at the two films you'd think it was the other way around.

Comment

• Werewolf
                            Inhuman
                            • Jul 14, 2003

SW definitely had cutting edge special effects. It was amazing. I think both films still look really good.

Comment

• YoungOnce
                              Career Member
                              • Aug 29, 2007

I’ve always loved The Black Hole and the unique vibe it puts out. It’s got the most bodacious space ship ever. All the Ellenshaw backgrounds are gorgeous. Robot Maximilian is a great design. Great cast. It’s just it’s own thing.

I wish they had a more defined ending. That was really the only thing that sunk it for the buying public. If they could have just come through and had a “Planet of the Apes”-like moment like the Statue of Liberty thing... maybe they discover earth’s moon is shattered and alien warships are threatening the earth... anything... I think it would be thought of more favorably.

They could totally come back with a sequel and knock it out of the park. Maybe the Palimino and it’s deceased passengers arrive back at earth all these years later and the black hole has followed them back, a sentient force, and now earth is in danger. A good sequel which resolves what happened could then make the original more beloved.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎