• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Big Bird Has Died

Well, the person who played Big Bird anyway. A great career on a great show

Caroll Spinney, the puppeteer who brought beloved "Sesame Street" characters Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch to life, died on Sunday, according to Sesame Workshop.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • Nostalgiabuff
    Muddling through
    • Oct 4, 2008

sad news. brought joy to millions, and generations, of children. RIP!

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

And Oscar the Grouch, don't forget.

I saw him last year at a Convention. He was very sweet and happy to talk one on one, but age was definitely creeping in. Yet the entire time, he was sketching a doodle of Big Bird on his table that was delightful.

Here's an interesting story he revealed to me before it broke on the news... Before Christa McAuliffe, he was under consideration to be on the Challenger Space Shuttle to talk to students from Space, chosen for his innocent and childlike manner of asking and answering questions that children would have about space. Ultimately, the costume was deemed impractical for microgravity, and the idea was scrapped. But we would have lost him in 1986, had the idea gone forward.

I did all the voices of Sesame Street characters for my girl when I read the books to her... Big Bird was always the most difficult. Just listen to his replacement voice actor now, and you'll see he's already missed.

An incredible talent.

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

How sad. A wonderful career, though. I was pleased to see him in PBS' Sesame Street 50th Anniversary Special a few weeks ago. RIP.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎