Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New US Toys R Us stores are kind of creepy.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
    Really? You think WalMart is squeaky clean?
    Hardly, I just give them a tiny bit of credit for clearly posting cameras are in use.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
      Permanent Member
      • May 15, 2009

Honestly this whole "TRU Revival" is ridiculous. It's akin to someone killing Toys R Us and then skinning them and parading around in the skin suit and hoping that no one notices the difference.

"It's really me, your old pal TRU... Pay no attention to the stitches..."

It's a shame there was more money is closing TRU than actually selling it to real investors who wanted to keep the stores open and the brand alive. They had a couple of legit offers.

Comment

• Makernaut
        Persistent Member
        • Jul 22, 2015

Originally posted by ODBJBG

"It's really me, your old pal TRU... Pay no attention to the stitches..."
        The idea of this made gave me a good laugh!

Comment

• thunderbolt
          Hi Ernie!!!
          • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by Werewolf
          Hardly, I just give them a tiny bit of credit for clearly posting cameras are in use.
          Not sure who posts it or not, for me I just assume they are monitoring wherever I am, Target, Publix, the bank whatever.
          You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

More news article on the privacy concerns of the new TRU.

"Toys “R” Us Pivots From Teddy Bears to Surveillance"

The once loved toy giant could have simply died a quiet death. Instead it has been co-opted and transformed into a private equity surveillance project.

"Toys “R” Us Is Back—Now With More Surveillance!"

Reports about the toy store using cameras to track shoppers caused an uproar, but the companies behind the tech insist their systems are trained to ignore kids.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MRP
              Persistent Member
              • Jul 19, 2016

I am not sure there is a public space left anywhere in the US where cameras are not in use and where yo are not being recorded, whether they notify you or not. And if there is not a camera per se, it's likely some private citizen with a phone is filming somewhere in the vicinity so you are being filmed anyways. Not saying it's a good thing, just where things are at at this point in the 21st century. Heck, things like google maps and google earth means large swaths of non-public space is also being filmed, so the fact that someone is now trying to monetize it (or that people have been trying to monetize it in various ways for a while now) is not shocking, or even news really.

-M
              "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Hector
                el Hombre de Acero
                • May 19, 2003

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                Really? You think WalMart is squeaky clean?
                I don’t know about anywhere else in the country...but here in Northern California...all the Targets are in nice areas...while the Walmarts are located in seedy areas next to freeways.
                sigpic

Comment

• megomania
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jan 2, 2010

Originally posted by Hector
                  I don’t know about anywhere else in the country...but here in Northern California...all the Targets are in nice areas...while the Walmarts are located in seedy areas next to freeways.
                  Two totally different target demographics...Wal-Mart's business model is to open up stores in lower-income neighborhoods. Not always though - we have a huge Wal-Mart in a very nice mini-mall in Bellevue...there's also a Target in the same mall. Both are anchor stores. But otherwise, what you said above. Although I'm not sure what the significance of freeways has to do with it, other than it's probably really easy access for people rather than getting off the freeway and driving through arterials.

-Chris

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎