X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Toy-Ventures: Sears Space Command Playset

Time for another Toy-Venture, this week we look at the Sears Space Command Playset, a generic action figure environment that's also a recording studio for fashion dolls. Did I mention the working AM radio and microphone?

Hosted and edited by Brian Heiler (@plaidstallions)

PlaidStallions Facebook Page

Plaidstallions facebook group

Twitter: @plaidstallionsFor more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

What a great video! I think I saw you feature this a long time ago on PS, but seeing it in "action" really sells this for me. Yes, it's totally oddball that it doubles as space station AND recording studio, but it's so well done for both, who cares?

That standing computer thing may be even better. I actually want one now! I think I could find room to display that.

I had the Hulk Hideaway playset from Tara, which of course was specifically targeted as a Hulk item, and unofficially aimed for the Mego figures. But the real "bait and switch" product I got was a "Super Powers" car from Sears in 1984. I thought it was actually part of the line, and when I got it, was disappointed that it was a generic toy for 3.75" to 5" figures. I still played with it, though!

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

Great video! I used to LOVE going to my local SEARS during Christmas time because they would open up a special area in their back warehouse for toys, and I would see things like that generic playset! My mom worked at Sears at the time, and one Christmas she got me the Star Wars Sears exclusive Cantina cardboard playset. The rest of the year, however, their toy section sucked.
      Last edited by RonnyG; Dec 4, '19, 1:28 PM.

Comment

• Wee67
        Museum Correspondent
        • Apr 2, 2002

Along with being super fun when I was a kid, these type of toys reinforced the love I had for Megos and my toys of the 70's. There is an implied homage to my toys when these are put out. Its a bit like they recognize how cool those toys are and admit it by trying to jump on the coattails of their greatness. Of course they're mainly trying to get in on the money coattails, but they are coattails nonetheless.

I wonder how that standing computer would look in my Wayne Foundation
        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• sprytel
          Talkative Member
          • Jun 26, 2009

Awesome! I had this toy as a kid... and while I long ago destroyed the backdrop and the chair, I still have the broken husk of my orange desk. It was a little too big for Mego, but it worked nicely for Super Joe.

I loved the microphone and played with it incessantly... which, as a parent now who knows how loud kids constantly are without amplification, makes me have all the more sympathy for my poor mother.

Comment

• tay666
            Career Member
            • Dec 27, 2008

That is totally cool!
            I never really noticed stuff like that. Then again, we really didn't get many Sears catalogs.
            My mom generally shopped JCPennys since we had one of those in town. The closest Sears was the next town over, which back in the 70's was an expedition.

My best friend always got all the cool Sears exclusives (like that Cantina set)

Another reason I probably never noticed, is I really didn't play with large sized figures. As a matter of fact, I think most 'figures' I did have came by way of Aurora model kits.

But yeah, I miss the days when stores would have their own toys, or exclusives.
            Real exclusives. Made just for them, or by them. Not just special colored, or special packaging.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎