• Aug 9, 2001

Foods you like a little too much ....

For me it's eggs

I could easily eat 2 dozen poached eggs in one sitting

Pizza too, if I was hungry I probably could eat 4 large NY style pies
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

Cheese. Oh, how I love it. All sorts. By itself, or with antipasti or charcuterie. With eggs, in casseroles, on vegetables. And Ohio has some fantastic cheesemakers.

Quite fond of eggs, too--my latest fad is shirred eggs and toast.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• J.B.
      Guild Navigator
      • Jun 23, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey
      For me it's eggs
      Ah, eggy weggs! When it comes to hard boiled, Cool Hand Luke's got nothin' on me.
      You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Comment

• JediJaida
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 14, 2008

Roast pork shoulder joint with crispy skin. I love it and it loves my hips.
        JediJaida

Comment

• Brazoo
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 14, 2009

I have no defence against chocolate. I just can't have it in my house.

Bagels - REAL bagels. NOT grocery store ones. Not bread in a donut shape. REAL NY style bagels. I could live off cream cheese and bagels 3 meals a day. I love them so much I've been trying to teach myself to bake them with mixed results.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Originally posted by Brazoo
            Bagels - REAL bagels..
            Speaking of real bagels, I had a crazy idea for Thanksgiving and it actually turned out GREAT

I got 3 out of date EVERYTHING bagels from my bagel shop.

I used them as the foundation of my homemade turkey stuffing.

Also added caramelized fried onions and some shredded Brown and Serve sausages

Finished it off with a box of Great Value stuffing and some spices

It was CRAZY GOOD !!!

Comment

• Brazoo
              Permanent Member
              • Feb 14, 2009

Speaking of real bagels, I had a crazy idea for Thanksgiving and it actually turned out GREAT

I got 3 out of date EVERYTHING bagels from my bagel shop.

I used them as the foundation of my homemade turkey stuffing.

Also added caramelized fried onions and some shredded Brown and Serve sausages

Finished it off with a box of Great Value stuffing and some spices

It was CRAZY GOOD !!!
              Oh man! That sounds fantastic!

Recently I was in London and there's these two super old iconic bagel shops where the thing is to get a salt beef sandwich (salt beef sounded kinda weird to me, but I'm pretty sure it's just corned beef). Initially I couldn't fathom doing that to a bagel, and in my head corned beef goes with rye bread, but it was delicious. So now I'm much more open to non-traditional bagel use. I really feel that travel has helped me grow as a person.

Using bagels as stuffing foundation is inspired, man. I have to try that!

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

This thread now has me wondering if I've ever had a real bagel.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• B-Lister
                  Eccentric Weirdo
                  • Mar 19, 2010

My dad's cooking. Chicken and dumplings, mexican, Chinese, chili, any baked good, pasta...whatever he sets his kitchen magic to, I can eat to excess.
                  Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Mikey
                    Verbose Member
                    • Aug 9, 2001

Real bagels are super chewy on the inside with a hard crust on the out

Kinda like a mall pretzel on steroids

Comment

• Brazoo
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by palitoy
                      This thread now has me wondering if I've ever had a real bagel.
                      Oh man! Next lunch — Kiva's!!

Comment

• Brazoo
                        Permanent Member
                        • Feb 14, 2009

Real bagels are super chewy on the inside with a hard crust on the out

Kinda like a mall pretzel on steroids
                        Absolutely! That's a great description!

When you bite it the crispness has to bite you back a bit. That's what I can't get quite right on my homemade bagels. There's a crust, but it either isn't crispy enough or it goes too far in and the bagel is just kinda hard and chewy. They don't taste bad, but I can't unlock the secret.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Aren't traditional bagels boiled in salted water first, then baked? That sounds challenging at home. Then again, I don't like to bake, just cook.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Bacon and fried chicken are my kryptonite
                            You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Brazoo
                              Permanent Member
                              • Feb 14, 2009

Originally posted by PNGwynne
                              Aren't traditional bagels boiled in salted water first, then baked? That sounds challenging at home. Then again, I don't like to bake, just cook.
                              You're right, you boil them before you bake. That part isn't too big of a deal though. When I make a batch it's only 8 bagels.

I love cooking, but I only started baking a little over a year ago. Before that I had no interest. It seemed like you had to be too precise and seemed too fussy or something. It just never appealed to me.

I think the whole baking thing started after we moved. I didn't like the local pizza options so I started making my own pizza dough, and there isn't a bakery I like nearby so I experimented with a really simple white bread and it turned out okay, so I moved onto rye and bagels. I've also been making pretzel and potato buns for homemade burgers, and those are surprisingly easy to make and turn out amazing.

Now that I've gotten a basic handle on it hardest part is the kneading. I have really weak/bad wrists so the kneading has been doing some damage — but I've gotten hints that Hanukkah Harry might be getting me a mixer this year, so if that happens it will be a game changer!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎