Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Foods you like a little too much ....

Quote Originally Posted by palitoy View Post
    This thread now has me wondering if I've ever had a real bagel.
    Oh man! Next lunch Kiva's!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey View Post
    Real bagels are super chewy on the inside with a hard crust on the out

Kinda like a mall pretzel on steroids
    Absolutely! That's a great description!

When you bite it the crispness has to bite you back a bit. That's what I can't get quite right on my homemade bagels. There's a crust, but it either isn't crispy enough or it goes too far in and the bagel is just kinda hard and chewy. They don't taste bad, but I can't unlock the secret.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Aren't traditional bagels boiled in salted water first, then baked? That sounds challenging at home. Then again, I don't like to bake, just cook.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Bacon and fried chicken are my kryptonite
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    Aren't traditional bagels boiled in salted water first, then baked? That sounds challenging at home. Then again, I don't like to bake, just cook.
    You're right, you boil them before you bake. That part isn't too big of a deal though. When I make a batch it's only 8 bagels.

I love cooking, but I only started baking a little over a year ago. Before that I had no interest. It seemed like you had to be too precise and seemed too fussy or something. It just never appealed to me.

I think the whole baking thing started after we moved. I didn't like the local pizza options so I started making my own pizza dough, and there isn't a bakery I like nearby so I experimented with a really simple white bread and it turned out okay, so I moved onto rye and bagels. I've also been making pretzel and potato buns for homemade burgers, and those are surprisingly easy to make and turn out amazing.

Now that I've gotten a basic handle on it hardest part is the kneading. I have really weak/bad wrists so the kneading has been doing some damage — but I've gotten hints that Hanukkah Harry might be getting me a mixer this year, so if that happens it will be a game changer!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazoo View Post
    Oh man! That sounds fantastic!

Recently I was in London and there's these two super old iconic bagel shops where the thing is to get a salt beef sandwich (salt beef sounded kinda weird to me, but I'm pretty sure it's just corned beef).
    It is the same thing. The "corned" of corned beef comes from the beef being cured with a large-grained salt rock, also called a "corn" of salt. I'm available for parties where I can bore you and your guests with all kinds of useless trivia.

As for my food kryptonite- soft pretzels. I love 'em. It may be the thing I miss most from my hometown of Philly. Yeah, yeah, friends and family, but I loves me some pretzels. BTW, did you know 80% of all pretzels produced in America are produced in Pennsylvania. I'm still available for those parties.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Images
    Blog Entries
    Are we discussing corned beef now? Because I can update my post on page 1. Yum.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.