X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

Mattel Clash of the Titans Zeus figure

My friend Jason (not the one I do podcasts with, I know two guys named Jason, perhaps more) surprised me with this extremely rare find. A prototype head sculpt from Mattel's very short-lived Clash of the Titans toy line, more after the jump:

I remember when this was being auctioned as I was interested in other lots from a former Mattel employee selling all sorts of wax castings and test pulls. This was very cool but not "Space:1999" cool if you know what i mean.

Jason believes that this sculpt may have been reused for the Masters of the Universe character "Fisto" and they certainly look related.

Despite being somewhat small, it's really trying to capture Lawrence Olivier as Zeus, I wonder what other figure concepts were scrapped from the line?

The best part of this is, it's for sale. Jason would like to part with it and asked if I know any buyers. If you are interested in this piece please contact me at kid70s(at)gmail.com and I'll hook you up.

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

That's an amazing find. I always liked Mattel's Clash line. I've always wondered if were are any other characters planned or made it to prototype stage like Medusa or Andromeda.

Definitely not Fisto, though. Totally different sculpt.
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• hedrap
      Permanent Member
      • Feb 10, 2009

Now find me the playset....

Wasn't a second wave Olivier, Burgess, Medusa, Stygian Witch?

Comment

• Mikey
        Verbose Member
        • Aug 9, 2001

I think Thallo and Charon should have waited for a later series release.

The entire movie is about protecting Andromeda … She should be the number 2 figure after Perseus

Zeus would be cool but I would make that a later release too.

Comment

• hedrap
          Permanent Member
          • Feb 10, 2009

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

Pretty sure those are customs by a guy I know.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Mikey
              Verbose Member
              • Aug 9, 2001

Am I sick in thinking that Medusa is kinda hot ?

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

Yeah, those are customs. The playset is a repainted Well of Souls from Kenner's Indiana Jones line.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
                  Citizen of Gotham
                  • Nov 17, 2012

Amazing find on a line that I think all of us regrets not delving into at the time.

Those customs are so well done in every way. Perfect paint, smooth assembly and character choices. I love those.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Cool! Was always a fan of this line and wished Mattel had produced more figures.
                    That Zeus sculpt is fascinating.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• danadoll
                      Micronaut Nut!
                      • Apr 11, 2005

Those customs are fantastic!

Dana
                      "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• PNGwynne
                        Master of Fowl Play
                        • Jun 5, 2008

I love this toy line and am thrilled to see a Zeus prototype. I have a complete set but desperately wanted another wave and playset. Dang Mattel lol.
                        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                          I think Thallo and Charon should have waited for a later series release....
                          Charon is a real head-scratcher compared to Medusa.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                            Muddling through
                            • Oct 4, 2008

I loved this line. as a kid I only had Perseus, Charon and Kalibos

Comment

• danadoll
                              Micronaut Nut!
                              • Apr 11, 2005

I only got Perseus, Pegasus, Thallo and Calibos back then.

Dana
                              "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎