X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thesharkman
    Museum Patron
    • Nov 1, 2019

six million dollar man question

i'm not sure if this is the right place, but i'll post the question here. regarding the difference between version 1 and 2 of the six million dollar man, is there a way to visually tell if a figure is version 1 or 2? i have a nos condition (hang tag in back) steve austin and really don't want to remove the top and test if the arm pops off to see what version it is...lol. TIA

thesharkman
  • VintageJoe70
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 12, 2016

I thought version 2 was the one with the bionic grip that came with the orange steel girder...
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/148083...57673799016342

Comment

• thesharkman
      Museum Patron
      • Nov 1, 2019

Originally posted by VintageJoe70
      I thought version 2 was the one with the bionic grip that came with the orange steel girder...
      there are three versions:

1) version one w/ the push switch on the back - arm does not come off

2) version two w/ the push switch on the back - arm comes off so that you could switch out the stock arm with one of the three critical assignment arms

3) verson three - no switch on the back and has the "grip" to hold the orange girder. this one has a different stock uniform than versions one and two.

thesharkman

Comment

• Myoldtoys
        Veteran Member
        • May 15, 2012

Hi the sharkman,
        The easiest way to tell the version 1 is by the shirt. The end of the sleeves on the version 1 have elastic at the wrists. The version two did not have the elastic.
        Last edited by Myoldtoys; Nov 27, '19, 7:55 PM. Reason: Add stuff

Comment

• Doombuggy64
          • Sep 4, 2018

Originally posted by Myoldtoys
          Hi the sharkman,
          The easiest way to tell the version 1 is by the shirt. The end of the sleeves on the version 1 have elastic at the wrists. The version two did not have the elastic.
          Unfortunately the elastic test is not always the best way to determine if you have version 1 or 2. What's happened over the years is either the elastic has completely come off, or collectors have switched out the shirts for version 1 and 2. Also I heard that some parents were frustrated that their kids couldn't roll the sleeve up after the Bionic transport came out, so they used to cut the elastic off the sleeves so it would make it more loose to roll up.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
            Veteran Member
            • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by Doombuggy64
            Unfortunately the elastic test is not always the best way to determine if you have version 1 or 2. What's happened over the years is either the elastic has completely come off, or collectors have switched out the shirts for version 1 and 2. Also I heard that some parents were frustrated that their kids couldn't roll the sleeve up after the Bionic transport came out, so they used to cut the elastic off the sleeves so it would make it more loose to roll up.
            If the elastic came off, it would be very obvious. If a parent cut and sewed the sleeve, they would be noticeably shorter. If you have one with a swapped out shirt, then you can't advertise it as a version 1 anyway. You would have a six million dollar man-mutt and the price would reflect that.

Comment

• thesharkman
              Museum Patron
              • Nov 1, 2019

Hi the sharkman,
              ahhhh, thanks. i never even thought of that one.

thesharkman

Comment

• thesharkman
                Museum Patron
                • Nov 1, 2019

Hi the sharkman,
                m o t's,

i was looking on the 'bay and came across this description of a MIB 1ST Edition SMDM:

"The True 1st/ed Figures with elastic are worth 2-3 times the value of a non elastic regular 1st/ed with lifting motor.Kenner discontinued this figure early 1975 due to complaints from kids and parents that the elastic in the sleeves would damage the skin when trying to push the sleeve up damaging the latex skin. There left arm was also non removable thus the kids would break it off thinking it would pop off like the right bionic arm.Kenner made quite a few changes to the 1st/ed figure which included removing the elastic from the sleeves,removable left arm,so it would pop of like the right bionic arm,looser outfit for easy removal including a change to the directions to just name a few.They are very rare and sought after by Bionic collectors as they are the very true 1st production Six Million Dollar Man produced early 1975 before being discontinued."

Item # 193235251553

I think the second edition is as vintage joe stated. It has the fold in the hand for gripping and comes with the orange girder, BUT it has the switch on the back. version 3 has the fold in the hand, but no switch on the back as it came with the different top that also had no hole in the back (for a switch). You can see this in item # 323999154202. Oddly enough, I think the seller has the 1st edition top with the elastic in it...LOL.

thesharkman
                Last edited by thesharkman; Dec 3, '19, 3:15 AM.

Comment

• Myoldtoys
                  Veteran Member
                  • May 15, 2012

Originally posted by thesharkman
                  m o t's,

i was looking on the 'bay and came across this description of a MIB 1ST Edition SMDM:

"The True 1st/ed Figures with elastic are worth 2-3 times the value of a non elastic regular 1st/ed with lifting motor.Kenner discontinued this figure early 1975 due to complaints from kids and parents that the elastic in the sleeves would damage the skin when trying to push the sleeve up damaging the latex skin. There left arm was also non removable thus the kids would break it off thinking it would pop off like the right bionic arm.Kenner made quite a few changes to the 1st/ed figure which included removing the elastic from the sleeves,removable left arm,so it would pop of like the right bionic arm,looser outfit for easy removal including a change to the directions to just name a few.They are very rare and sought after by Bionic collectors as they are the very true 1st production Six Million Dollar Man produced early 1975 before being discontinued."

Item # 193235251553

I think the second edition is as vintage joe stated. It has the fold in the hand for gripping and comes with the orange girder, BUT it has the switch on the back. version 3 has the fold in the hand, but no switch on the back as it came with the different top that also had no hole in the back (for a switch). You can see this in item # 323999154202. Oddly enough, I think the seller has the 1st edition top with the elastic in it...LOL.

thesharkman

Those auctions do some it up pretty well. It is not easy to find very nice SMDM figures. The first thing to tear or rot was the rubber skin. The material used for the jogging suit is very thin and most have holes. The logo was glued on and easily damaged. The socks are often missing or stretched out. 9 out of 10 that you see on eBay are incomplete or worn out. There don't seem to be as many collectors interested in this toy line. I sold my small collection a couple years ago. Demand was low and so were the prices (compared to later and more popular toy lines).

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎