• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danadoll
    Micronaut Nut!
    • Apr 11, 2005

I'm thinking...

Spoilers...
    this previously unknown Doctor (Ruth) may be a call back to the untapped storyline during the Seventh Doctor's run. A writer/or co-producer with John Nathan Turner (whose name escapes me), plotted out a storyline, where the Doctor had many secret lives (reincarnations, if you will) before his first incarnation (the First Doctor). He supposedly lived all the way back to the time of Rassilon and Omega and was a Time Lord known as "The Other". The story was later novelized in the book titled "Lungbarrow".

It would definitely explain why he had other faces during the mental battle with Morbius in "The Brain of Morbius". The idea was canned by John Nathan Turner, because he thought it revealed too much about The Doctor, however...there are hints sprinkled throughout the Seventh Doctor's run, that he is more than he seems.

Another interesting thing, in addition to trying to explain those mysterious faces during "Brain of Morbius", the storyline, could also clear up why the Third Doctor claimed many times to be many thousands of years old, while earlier and later incarnations only claimed to be only 700 or 900 years old, respectively.

Dana
    Last edited by danadoll; Jan 29, '20, 11:27 AM.
    "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Godzilla
      Permanent Member
      • Nov 3, 2002

Really enjoyed the Judoon episode. For me, Doctor Who is about change and I don't mind them mixing it up. It keeps it interesting.
      Mortui Vivos Docent
      The Dead Teach the Living

Comment

• Bruce Banner
        HULK SMASH!
        • Apr 3, 2010

The production values of the show are admirably high for this season.
        It's just a pity the overall standard of the stories and the writing doesn't match them.

(Having said that, at least tonight's episode had a worthwhile ecological message at its core.)
        PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Godzilla
          Permanent Member
          • Nov 3, 2002

The last one had strong character connections to make up for some plot holes.

Haven't we already had hints at the Doctor's past lives in the Brain of Morbius? I guess I don't see it as retconning. Plus I'm still waiting for someone to do something interesting with the Valeyard.
          Mortui Vivos Docent

Comment

• Bruce Banner
            HULK SMASH!
            • Apr 3, 2010

Tonight's episode had an interesting premise, although it did tend to lose focus towards the end.
            At least it introduced two cool new and potentially recurring villain characters.
            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

The Mary Shelley episode tonight was my favourite of the season so far.
              (And it was another non Chibnall episode.)
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• danadoll
                Micronaut Nut!
                • Apr 11, 2005

I've been enjoying this series much better than Jodie's first series.

Dana
                "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• Godzilla
                  Permanent Member
                  • Nov 3, 2002

I really liked the Mary Shelly episode.

The one before that, Can you Hear Me, was rough. Underwritten, badly plotted, and the Doctor seemed way out of her character in the end.
                  Mortui Vivos Docent

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                    HULK SMASH!
                    • Apr 3, 2010

Ascension of the Cybermen was arguably the best Whittaker episode so far.
                    Looking forward to the finale.
                    PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                      OK maybe I'm going to finally tune in again, I'd like to see the best Whittaker episode.
                      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Wee67
                        Museum Correspondent
                        • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Bruce Banner
                        I haven't been motivated enough to watch the 5 eps sitting on my DVR. This just piqued my interest.
                        WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                          HULK SMASH!
                          • Apr 3, 2010

Ratings have been down for this season, but the BBC's drama chief insists there are no plans to rest the show again.

The BBC’s drama chief Piers Wenger has defended Doctor Who following a drop in ratings and a mixed reception from fans for Season 12 of the sci-fi drama.

At a BBC drama even in London on Monday, Wenger was asked if he would consider resting Doctor Who given some of the malaise around the show, which is produced by BBC Studios and airs in the U.S. on BBC America.

Wenger offered a strong rebuttal in which he argued that the Time Lord franchise, starring Jodie Whittaker and overseen by showrunner Chris Chibnall, is in fine fettle. Here are his remarks in full:

“I worked on Doctor Who myself and produced it for many years and I can honestly say I don’t think it’s been in better health editorially. The production values have never been better. It’s also not just funded by the BBC, it’s funded by lots of international partners.

“It’s an incredibly important show for young audiences, it’s still watched by families in a world where there are fewer shows that have the power to do that. It will always be an important show for us and we’re a very long way from wanting to rest it.”
                          PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Gorn Captain
                            Invincible Ironing Man
                            • Feb 28, 2008

I have liked these recent episodes. Finally some solid stories, and Whittaker is getting more interesting, with more personality to her. At this moment, I am back onboard to see what happens next.
                            "When things are at their darkest, it's a brave man that can kick back and party."

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                              HULK SMASH!
                              • Apr 3, 2010

Some interesting ideas in the final episode, but the overall execution was haphazard and unfocused.
                              (And the big retcon/revelation is still an ill-judged and unnecessary story choice.)

And that's it for the 2020 season. A very mixed bag overall.
                              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                                HULK SMASH!
                                • Apr 3, 2010

Chibnall says the Daleks will be back in the festive/holiday season special:

Showrunner Chris Chibnall said: "We can’t leave the Doctor there! On that cliffhanger! Well, we did.
                                "But rest assured, the Doctor and her friends will be back for a one-off extended Special around Christmas and New Year. (I don’t know when they’re going to put it on yet, otherwise we’d tell you!).

"There will be Daleks. There will be exterminations. Thrills, laughter, tears. You know. The usual. See you at the end of the year."

Director BBC Content Charlotte Moore added: "I can't wait for the Doctor to go into battle with the ultimate enemy in this year's Daleks festive special."

Titled 'Revolution of the Daleks', the episode will also feature the return of The Doctor's companions Ryan (Tosin Cole), Graham (Bradley Walsh) and Yaz (Mandip Gill).
                                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎