HULK SMASH!
    • Apr 3, 2010

Doctor Who 2020

Trailer for the 2020 season:

PUNY HUMANS!
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

After a rocky start, I thought things started to come together by the end of last season. I like the companions. Hopefully the Whitaker era continues to gel.

But then again, I consider Matt Smith the worst Doctor of the modern era... so clearly its subjective.

Comment

• Mikey
      Verbose Member
      • Aug 9, 2001

I can't watch the show … I just can't watch her as Doctor Who

As far as i'm concerned Capaldi was the last Doctor Who and this is just a spin-off like K-9 and Company

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
        Muddling through
        • Oct 4, 2008

i don't watch anymore either. I gave it a shot last season and just didn't like it. I didn't really like Capaldi either. I will tune back in for the next Doctor

Comment

• Jorge Galvan
          Career Member
          • Jun 8, 2015

Originally posted by sprytel
          After a rocky start, I thought things started to come together by the end of last season. I like the companions. Hopefully the Whitaker era continues to gel.

But then again, I consider Matt Smith the worst Doctor of the modern era... so clearly its subjective.

He was pretty bad, but I have to say "Turkish" aka Chris Eccleston. Was the worst, UGH! Sadly out of ALL the Modern doktors, ONLY ; the WAR Doctor was my fave! :(

BUT! I did enjoy the last series with Jody and she did do a good job, and they had some good stories.

Sean should appear as his dad as the 3rd doctor and Baker should return as the Curator
          Last edited by Jorge Galvan; Nov 26, '19, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Mikey
            Verbose Member
            • Aug 9, 2001

Was reading for season 12 they hired all British soap opera writers -- none in the Sci Fi genre

Also said the BBC is doubling down on their PC stance from last season even though it was a turnoff for many fans

It will also be revealed The Doctor was originally a woman -- making Hartnell the first regeneration

Is the BBC trying to sabotage Doctor Who or are they just crazy inept ?

Comment

• Bruce Banner
              HULK SMASH!
              • Apr 3, 2010

Originally posted by Mikey

The general consensus is that it's a little of both.
              PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
                Muddling through
                • Oct 4, 2008

Originally posted by Mikey
                Was reading for season 12 they hired all British soap opera writers -- none in the Sci Fi genre

Also said the BBC is doubling down on their PC stance from last season even though it was a turnoff for many fans

It will also be revealed The Doctor was originally a woman -- making Hartnell the first regeneration

it's the PC stuff that really turns me away from shows like this. Supergirl was another one. too damn preachy for it's own good. Unfortunately I think it is a product of the times we currently live in and is not gong away anytime soon

Comment

• palitoy
                  live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                  • Jun 16, 2001

I don't necessarily see any of this as the dreaded "PC Monster" everyone is fearing, it's obvious to me that the BBC was looking for a new audience and a total refresh. The show was getting a little stale, I'm not sure another male doctor would make much of an impact with younger viewers.

Personally, I was on board for a female Doctor as long as it was good and they had a plan for it. However, last season was largely meh. Boring stories, weird plodding music and the worst of all, a criminally underwritten and inconsistent Doctor. I enjoyed some of the concepts and attempts to stand out but most of it felt undercooked.

I feel as bad for Whittaker as I did Colin Baker back in the day, she is a capable actor but she's bearing the brunt of other's lackluster labours. Usually, when I get bored, I review old seasons of Who, this time I didn't bother, not one second viewing of any show from that season.

The only standout for me was Graham, the best character on this so-called "PC" show is an old white guy.

This new season trailer feels like they're trying to regroup and go back to RTD, I have no expectations, hopefully, I like the new direction.

That rumor about the special is hopefully false because if it isn't, I may tap out too. There is no reason to tamper with show canon like that, it does nothing to improve the quality and it almost feels passive-aggressive.
                  Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                  http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• ODBJBG
                    Permanent Member
                    • May 15, 2009

I still haven't finished all of Whitaker's season, I think I had an episode or two left and the NYE special. That said, I thought the season was fine. Not quite as good as 10 or some of the better 12s stuff, but certainly better than Matt Smith. He was insufferable and the seasons were all pretty awful. His last season was partially bearable, but pretty much all of the Amy Pond stuff is best forgotten.

That said, Graham was the best part. He brought a great heart and soul to the show and I was happy to see a different kind of companion.

It's kind of the same thing with Wonder Woman... That was supposed to be a movie all about female empowerment or whatever, but Steve Trevor was basically the best part of the whole thing. Whoops!

Anyway, I'm down for more Who, even if it's not quite what it once was, it's been that way for a while. My only real issue with a lady Doctor was that they did it so soon after doing a lady Master. Kinda weak writing in that regard. I still want them to do something with McCoy while he could still feasibly do a crossover.

Comment

• Mikey
                      Verbose Member
                      • Aug 9, 2001

I've said this before but i'll repeat myself just to hear myself talk

I've always considered Doctor Who to be similar to Columbo

They're both zany but crazy smart

Both are very mysterious (after a 30+ year run we've still never seen Columbo's always talked about wife) --- Does she REALLY even exist ?

The producers didn't center the stories around Columbo … It was all about the crime story and how Columbo solved it.

Once in a while the producers would throw in a tidbit of info about Columbo himself for his diehard fans (see Rest in Peace, Mrs Columbo) but again, the crime story was to focus.

For the most part this formula was followed by Doctor Who too in the classic series.

It all began to change during the David Tennant years though

By the time Tennant left people only tuned in to see if the Doctor was in love, who's his mother ? is the Master really his jilted lover etc.

Today, it's all that plus more to no end.

It's not even the same show

Comment

• danadoll
                        Micronaut Nut!
                        • Apr 11, 2005

I like Jodie and I think she's trying very hard with writing that's just been terrible. I agree that the character of Graham has been wonderful, but why has one companion (mostly, I like his grandson too) been given all the good writing? The BBC really needs to step up their game.

Dana
                        "Do you want a doll?" Kurt

Comment

• MEMEGO
                          Career Member
                          • Sep 6, 2007

They are desperate for rating as well as attracting the female fans. What they lost sight of is that these will come with a Good Doctor as well as good stories. Changing history will not do this, it will turn the few fans off to the series and will in the long be the down fall of the series.
                          I hate to say this, but I think its time to give the show a rest for 5 yrs or so, than let some other people take a stab at it, just as was done in the past.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                            HULK SMASH!
                            • Apr 3, 2010

Well, the New Year's Day episode wasn't bad... I thought it was better than the majority of the last season.
                            With any luck, this season might be pretty good.
                            PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• clemso
                              Talkative Member
                              • Aug 8, 2001

Well worth a watch just for Sacha Dhawan's performance. A terrific actor and well cast. Loved him as Davos in Iron Fist as well.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎