• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noelani72
    27inaleon
    • Jun 25, 2002

Something new cooking - Puddles Pity Party

Hello all.
    My manufacturing/creation has taken another step forward.
    As a pioneer of 3d printing on the boards, you've seen plenty of my marrying 3d art with traditional styles.

However, my trusty printer has been retired after a fantastic haul of 2700 hours.

I have added something new to my toolkit - a DLP resin printer.

Printing in resin is not for everybody - stinky, messy, tad bit expensive...but the results are phenomenal. I had fantastic prints on my old printer at 100microns, but in resin, I can achieve 50microns.

This jump forward was spurred by a deadline I am trying to meet. For those who know me, you are aware I have a Plan A, Plan B, Plan C...and if I get into trouble I am resourceful enough to figure it out (ala Mego Shark anyone? lol)

I am seeing Puddles Pity Party again in a couple weeks.

If you've not heard of him, I encourage you to head over to Google, YouTube and enjoy his voice.

I am doing a VIP session with him and my wife - and in doing so, I want to present him with a gift - his own custom Mego.

I have contracted a sculptor to get his head done.
    My awesome friend who has made some outfits for me is tackling his suit.
    I have to work out some props...but it is coming together.

Alas, checkout this incredible resin print.
    This is right out of the printer after a quick rinse in alcohol.
    No sanding - no post prep.
    It is UV activated resin, so I do have to put the part in direct sunlight for a few minutes - but I have a UV lightbox to use, so win win.
    The UV radiation fully cures the resin - hard enough it can be drilled, sanded, etc...

Enjoy

IMG_4801.jpg
    Attached Files
  • sprytel
    Talkative Member
    • Jun 26, 2009

The results are phenomenal. Look forward to seeing the finished results, and hearing how the event went!

Comment

• PNGwynne
      Master of Fowl Play
      • Jun 5, 2008

So jealous, I'm a big fan. Was just listening to him sing "Royals" on the drive home. Looking forward to this, it looks excellent.
      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• boss
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 18, 2003

Looks good Chad!
        Fresh, not from concentrate.

Comment

• rche
          channeling Bob Wills
          • Mar 26, 2008

man - that's smooth. I look forward to seeing this completed. Great run with your 3d feed printer. That is a bunch of hours on one of those, and you produced some remarkable items with it.

Comment

• The Bat
            Batman Fanatic
            • Jul 14, 2002

Wow! That came out GREAT! Exciting stuff Chad, looking forward to see what you do in the future!
            sigpic

Comment

• darklord1967
              Persistent Member
              • Mar 27, 2008

Brilliant Chad!

Absolutely Brilliant!! 3D Printing sure has come a long way!
              I... am an action figure customizer

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

I have always wanted to see the dude live.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• noelani72
                  27inaleon
                  • Jun 25, 2002

Thanks everyone.
                  Yes, my Makerbot had a good run. It still might be fixable, but right now it is sitting on the floor out of the way. I've messed with it and messed with it...something is wrong with how it heats. I have replaced the part and a new issue developed with heat...soooo I dunno.

If I don't replace it, I certainly will miss some of the "tricks" I could do with it. For example, I could print my Clash of the Titan shields as a "flat" piece...and use heat to shape it into a functional shield.

This Puddles guy...I have watched him for years and admired from afar.

Then, he hit mainstream and got on America's Got Talent....and a tour ensued.

We have already seen him live, and loved every bit of it. He has a way of bringing your heart right into your throat. His voice is amazing, and you get a very good feeling just being in his presence.

So, I want to make him a present as a small token of fan appreciation. Dunno if he gets inundated with fan gifts, maybe he doesn't get anything at all. In either case, he's getting one of my pieces of art to hopefully appreciate as much as I appreciate what he's given me.

Comment

• noelani72
                    27inaleon
                    • Jun 25, 2002

new printer is chugging away. Pulled out my stock hands and pennywise shoes, re-ripped em for the new software.
                    The Boy designed me a suitcase prop.
                    This resin printing...omg....awesome.
                    Course, it is slooooooooow....but worth it. 5 1/2 hours to do the suitcase alone.

77338820_10221771171897016_8997432670908579840_o.jpg

Comment

• noelani72
                      27inaleon
                      • Jun 25, 2002

made good progress on Puddles.

recycled my custom Pennywise clown shoes. They are 3d resin prints. I dremiled out the open area where the foot goes in....but I took the Type-S foot - cut the vast majority off, trimmed, beveled, shaved with exacto-knife, and glued it into the shoe.

Painting this head was far more challenging than expected to achieve a white look, that isn't really "white".
                      It needed to have that clown-white-makeup appeal, and his design needed to look soft, as he just powdered his face to seal the makeup.

The head is several dry brush coats of white, bone white, bone/white 50-50 mix, then a final dry brush of pure white.
                      thinned out black/white mix was used for his details and built up over a couple layers.

The head is a 3d resin print directly out of the printer. No sanding, just primed to get it ready for paints.

The suitcase was designed by The Boy and also a resin 3d print.
                      The suitcase lettering is custom cut vinyl letters.

puddles_wip_001.jpg
                      puddles_wip002.jpg

puddles_wip003.jpg

puddles_wip004.jpg
                      Last edited by noelani72; Nov 29, '19, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• noelani72
                        27inaleon
                        • Jun 25, 2002

packaging is also key on this project.
                        I want it to be something that can survive shipping (or a plane) and it has to be something presentable on Friday night when we meet with him.

And since he loves his animals, this was fitting...

HipstamaticPhoto-596934365.958051.jpg

HipstamaticPhoto-596934401.080684.jpg

HipstamaticPhoto-596934424.479255.jpg

Comment

• cockyhoskins
                          Career Member
                          • Jan 13, 2009

Looking great! Can't wait to see it finished.

Comment

• noelani72
                            27inaleon
                            • Jun 25, 2002

Finished.
                            See reveal thread:

Built a custom Puddles figure and display to present to Puddles in person. Original head sculpt Custom tailored suit 3d resin printed guitar, suitcase, hands, shoes (3d designs by The Boy) Type-S body assorted dollhouse items from Hobby Lobby My wife helped with the custom shipping box. Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎