Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Star Wars Han Solo Greedo scene has been altered again, yes again, for Disney plus.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • enyawd72
    Maker of Monsters!
    • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
    I sometimes wonder if he just fell into a puddle filled with gold with Star Wars. It seems like he’s not even really sure what made the original movie popular in the first place.
    I don't think so...I think it's more like an artist who's never satisfied with their own work. I'm guilty of this as well. I'll look at a model I finished and think, I should have done this, or painted this differently, and sometimes I go back and change it, even if other people are telling me it looks perfect the way it is. Sometimes the changes I make are an improvement. Sometimes they're not, and once or twice I even ruined something, only to be filled with regret for not listening.

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
      Often invisible
      • Jul 18, 2002

Originally posted by enyawd72
      I don't think so...I think it's more like an artist who's never satisfied with their own work. I'm guilty of this as well. I'll look at a model I finished and think, I should have done this, or painted this differently, and sometimes I go back and change it, even if other people are telling me it looks perfect the way it is. Sometimes the changes I make are an improvement. Sometimes they're not, and once or twice I even ruined something, only to be filled with regret for not listening.
      I get the artist being unhappy with work over time. I’m the same way as well.

But what is the point of constantly changing the Han/Greedo scene? It’s not an improvement to make Han more of a good guy at the beginning because he’s supposed to become a hero in his story arc. It’s just weird to me that he goes out of his way to neuter his own story.

And frankly, that’s just the tip of the iceberg for my confusion with Lucas’ actions.
      Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• Hedji
        Citizen of Gotham
        • Nov 17, 2012

I love George. I'll never begin to try to understand his genius. Just about every genius artist does something whacky or misunderstood in their career. He is no different.

Would I like to see the originals preserved? Absolutely, I completely agree with Werewolf on that. But I've got means of watching them that look better than the Blu Rays, so I'm good if they don't.

I truly laughed, and felt no harm or foul.

According to EW:
        The word was apparently previously said in the series, this time with subtitles, in The Phantom Menace when Sebulba threatens young Anakin. The word may mean “This will be the end of you.”
        So... is Greedo saying "This is the end of you, Solo!". Or is Lucas cleverly saying, "This will be the end of my working on this scene". Pablo Hidalgo revealed it was done in 2012 just prior to the Disney sale of the franchise. So maybe it's a way of Lucas saying "Goodbye Star Wars. This is where we part company".

Or maybe Greedo just has enough time to spit out one last obscenity at Solo.

Make no mistake, I think they should never have been changed in 1997. But at this point... who has energy to be outraged by this? Frankly, I'm delighted, and sincerely so.

Comment

• Klosterheim
          Persistent Member
          • Mar 23, 2013

I would like to see a Star Wars Final Cut, with a bonus scene containing TIE Bombers soaring throughout the skies of several planets in the Galaxy, each ship playing an audio recording of Grand Moff Tarkin trying to get his surfboard returned to him.

Comment

• palitoy
            live. laugh. lisa needs braces
            • Jun 16, 2001

If the original was available to all in some format, I'd never care about anything Lucas did but he forces these revisions on people and while I'm not in any way angry about this, it does feel like a really passive-aggressive move.

I think less of a person who does this sort of thing although I don't begrudge the shelving of "the Holiday Special". I get why he's embarrassed by that.
            Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
            http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• CrimsonGhost
              Often invisible
              • Jul 18, 2002

Just for the record, I’m more baffled by his changes than anything. That why I wonder if he just kind of got lucky with the first film because his changes and additions seem to undermine his original instincts and what I assumed were his intentions.
              Expectation is the death of discovery.

Comment

• rche
                channeling Bob Wills
                • Mar 26, 2008

Originally posted by CrimsonGhost
                Just for the record, I’m more baffled by his changes than anything. That why I wonder if he just kind of got lucky with the first film because his changes and additions seem to undermine his original instincts and what I assumed were his intentions.
                Lucas was lucky that his wife Marcia was an awesome film editor with great instincts. If I recall, she got the Oscar for film editing that year.

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

I don't really agree with the idea that hard core fans can just hunt down the Despecialized Edition if they want the theatrical cuts. While I certainly appreciate the hard work put into them and that they exist for fans, people shouldn't have to hunt down bootlegs of something considered as culturally and historically significant as SW because the director wants to try to suppress and alter history. Remember that it was George Lucas' impassioned speech on film preservation that helped to create the National Film Registry of the library of congress. It exists to preserve movies deemed historically and culturally significant. To this day they do not have the theatrical cuts of the original SW trilogy.

The Despecialized Edition is also really not the true theatrical cuts. It's a close as possible digital recreation of them using tricks to try and undo the changes.

Originally posted by palitoy
                  it does feel like a really passive-aggressive move.
                  I agree with that. Many of the changes struck me as punishment for those that don't like the prequels. Don't like the prequels? Tough, here's Darth Vader's cringy NOOOOOOO scream from Revenge of the Sith pasted into the audio of the Jedi duel, Hayden Christensen digitally replacing Sebastian Shaw and Jar Jar yelling Weesa Fwee at the end. Those changes struck me as particularly pointless and petty.
                  Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 14, '19, 12:27 PM. Reason: typos
                  You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

I really don't think the Holiday special is that bad. It's not good by any stretch but certainly not worse than any other comedy variety show of the 70s. It fits the era.

And...considering Lucas approved this

He really has no room to be embarrassed by the holiday special.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• ODBJBG
                      Permanent Member
                      • May 15, 2009

Lucas is kind of a hack. I'm not saying he hasn't done some good things, but there's also an element of surrounding yourself with really good people. There are a lot of really untalented people who when surrounded by the right people can produce good things.

Or maybe he just lost whatever he had. His work with the prequels should show how little he had left in the tank. His behind the scenes stuff showed he was a Soap Opera level director.

Anyway, I don't really care one way or another. I think it's kinda cool to revisit and "update" movies. They've fixed some effects in Doctor Who, restored episodes with animation, etc. But the originals are always available.

With Star Wars they've hidden the originals and tried to claim this is "how it was meant to be" which in a lot of cases, obviously it wasn't. I'm kind of shocked Disney hasn't released the original films as they were originally. Seems like money left on the table.

Comment

• B-Lister
                        Eccentric Weirdo
                        • Mar 19, 2010

Lucas is no genius. It is clear by literally every movie he made since Star Wars, that the movie was a fluke. He was wise to hire others to execute the vision on the sequels. Writing and directing all three prequels was a bad decision.
                        Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• Mikey
                          Verbose Member
                          • Aug 9, 2001

Whether it was done on purpose or not (most likely not), tinkering with the classic Star Wars movies have kept them prominently in the publics eye when any other movie would have been forgotten... It's a case of bad news is still news.

Today the 90's seem to have been retconned into the decade the world's demand for the return of Star Wars.

Any semi-Star Wars fan that lived through the 90's knows this is untrue …

Of course if you were in a media bubble and only red The Star Wars Insider you might disagree with me.

Comment

• enyawd72
                            Maker of Monsters!
                            • Oct 1, 2009

Originally posted by B-Lister
                            Lucas is no genius. It is clear by literally every movie he made since Star Wars, that the movie was a fluke. He was wise to hire others to execute the vision on the sequels. Writing and directing all three prequels was a bad decision.
                            I don't think that's true at all. He's definitely a genius...he's just much better at ideas than execution. The biggest problem with the prequels, much like Peter Jackson's King Kong, is that one person had too much control. Both were surrounded by yes-men who indulged them rather than restrained them when necessary. Not one person on Lucas' team ever spoke up to say, NO, George...this or that is bad and here's why. If they had I think the prequels would have turned out even better than they were.

Comment

• palitoy
                              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                              • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by enyawd72
                              I don't think that's true at all. He's definitely a genius...he's just much better at ideas than execution. The biggest problem with the prequels, much like Peter Jackson's King Kong, is that one person had too much control. Both were surrounded by yes-men who indulged them rather than restrained them when necessary. Not one person on Lucas' team ever spoke up to say, NO, George...this or that is bad and here's why. If they had I think the prequels would have turned out even better than they were.
                              Yeah I would agree with this sentiment, he needed somebody to challenge him and make his stuff better. I don't think the prequels are bad ideas but they are filmed in a pedestrian manner with 2-dimensional characterizations. Had he hired a director, I think they would be much more universally admired.
                              Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                              http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                                Inhuman
                                • Jul 14, 2003

I don't think Lucas is untalented either. I believe he is a gifted idea person. I just think his ego can get the best of him when he doesn't have people around him to rein in bad ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎