• Jun 16, 2001

Fantasy Island Trailer

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • RonnyG
    Career Member
    • Apr 23, 2014

Didn't see that coming. Looks good! Darker than the TV series, but the show could get pretty dark at times. I don't mind them remaking or re-imagining this show because the concept of people going to an island to fulfill their fantasies is a good premise. I also don't mind them recasting the Mr. Roake or Tattoo characters because it was always more about the guest stars in my opinion.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

I'm personally tired of the "edgy" My Favorite Things covers. I think it's over done. Other than that I'm sure it's fine. Happy for people who like it.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• sprytel
        Talkative Member
        • Jun 26, 2009

Originally posted by RonnyG
        Darker than the TV series, but the show could get pretty dark at times.
        Yes, the original seems to have a "Love Boat" sort of halo, but it definitely could go dark. But the show could also be funny or soapy or absurd (sometimes all at the same time). I wonder if this movie will mix in a lighter storyline or two. The Asian kid from "Silicon Valley" really wasn't featured much in the trailer, but he seems the best chance for that.

Also, as much as I like Michael Pena, I wish they had gotten somebody with a little more presence for Roarke.

Comment

• RonnyG
          Career Member
          • Apr 23, 2014

Originally posted by sprytel
          Yes, the original seems to have a "Love Boat" sort of halo, but it definitely could go dark. But the show could also be funny or soapy or absurd (sometimes all at the same time). I wonder if this movie will mix in a lighter storyline or two. The Asian kid from "Silicon Valley" really wasn't featured much in the trailer, but he seems the best chance for that.

Also, as much as I like Michael Pena, I wish they had gotten somebody with a little more presence for Roarke.
          Yes, the TV series would usually have at least one comedic story and one dramatic story going on in the same episode. It was kind of unique how they would switch tones and go back and forth between dark and light. The movie should take advantage of that aspect. Imagine having funny comedic actors in one story and dramatic actors in the other story. It would help to have some bigger names involved, but I don't recognize any of the actors in the trailer.

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

I don't mind re-imaginings or re-boots at all. In fact, if your just going to do the exact same thing, why bother. That already exists. However... I do prefer re-imaginings/re-boots to maintain the spirit of the original project. This seems to have very little to do with the original. If it can tap into all the aspects that Sprytel mentions, then it could pull it off. Somehow it just doesn't feel like it will.
            WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• palitoy
              live. laugh. lisa needs braces
              • Jun 16, 2001

As somebody who recently watched the entire series, there is some of this darkness in the original. Roarke's morality lessons often got a little dark, I can think of episodes where fantasy guests are sold in prostitution or even worse made slaves to powerful men in a "Monkey's Paw" sort of structure. It would all work out in the end but you'd often wonder if those people wouldn't have wanted a refund.

It's interesting that the movie features Julie in lieu of Tattoo, the character meant to give Herve some downtime on the original series.

While I'm still letting this slosh around my head, one thing is for certain, I think Pena is an odd choice.

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

I liked both the original show and the 1998 reboot (particularly as it played to the connections to The Tempest). This makes me think of The Banana Splits Movie, and I guess this is a trend we now have of horror-based reboots, but I do like the original enough to give it a chance.
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• MEMEGO
                  Career Member
                  • Sep 6, 2007

Cute Blonde; This looks terrible, another great series reimagined horribly. Just like that new Charlie's Angels mess.
                  Just leave the classics alone. Think of New Things, Be Original...

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

I'm a big fan of the original series, but I haven't watched it for a long time, there's been mention of the darkness in the series, like when Mr. Roarke meets the Devil (Roddy McDowell) but if I recall correctly, didn't one of the guest actually die and did not return to the launch boat at the end of the episode?

I have no idea the name of that particular episode or how the person died.

Comment

• palitoy
                      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                      • Jun 16, 2001

It was Darren McGavin in the second season, he's hunting a tiger and dies on his mission.

Comment

• Brown Bear
                        Still Old School
                        • Feb 14, 2008

Remember the live action Scooby Doo movie where the main villan ended up being Scrappy Doo?! That's how I'm imagining Tatoo in this movie......as the mastermind who pops up at the end of the movie. That would be awesome!

De Plane! De Plane!
                        Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• RobTMego
                          Career Member
                          • Mar 15, 2013

Next up Gilligan's island, Kevin James is the Skipper, a deranged serial killer that happen to steal a tour boat!!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎