X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Invisible Man trailer

Okay, this looks very interesting. Maybe Universal will actually make, you know, a HORROR movie with one of their HORROR icons.

Claude Rains' Invisible Man was actually the most demented and murderous of all the Universal Monsters!

sigpic
  • PNGwynne
    Master of Fowl Play
    • Jun 5, 2008

The ultimate gaslighting.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

The modern setting is a deal breaker for me. I miss the gothic horror of the classic Universal Monster movies. They were sort of set in their own fictionalized time period and universe with a kind of gothic Victorian look.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

^I see your point, but if they want these brands to remain vital, they have to appeal to a new audience. Based on the failure of every other attempt they've made, I can understand why they are going completely modern with this one. Plus Universal itself set The Invisible Man in 1933 when it was released, moving it up from the 1897 when it was published.

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
          Master of Fowl Play
          • Jun 5, 2008

Werewolf--not really. They all had contemporary ('30s/'40s) settings that feel dated today. The antiquated feel comes form the German Expressionist touches and the backwater (English & Mitteleuropean villages, rural New England) settings. IIRC, only The Phantoms of the Opera were period films.

It's the Poe and most of the Hammer films that have a gothic Victorian look.

The premise/spin of this new IM is interesting, but I'm not sure I want "modern" yet "classic" monsters. A character like the Invisible Man or Phantom of the Opera, basically a terrorist, resonates differently today.
          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• PNGwynne
            Master of Fowl Play
            • Jun 5, 2008

Chris types faster than I do...lol.

Comment

• Werewolf
              Inhuman
              • Jul 14, 2003

I personally interpret the classic Universal monster movies, like the Batman 1989 movie, as kind of set in their own fictionalized time period and universe. That's just kinda me, I guess. BTW: I have nothing against the update and if people like it I'm genuinely happy for them. It's just not for me.
              You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• TrekStar
                Trek or Treat
                • Jan 20, 2011

[QUOTE=PNGwynne;1426852]Werewolf--not really. They all had contemporary ('30s/'40s) settings that feel dated today. The antiquated feel comes form the German Expressionist touches and the backwater (English & Mitteleuropean villages, rural New England) settings. IIRC, only The Phantoms of the Opera were period films.

It's the Poe and most of the Hammer films that have a gothic Victorian look.

What about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, movies, weren't they period films?

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by TrekStar

What about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, movies, weren't they period films?
                  The Hunchback of Notre Dame definitely was.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

Oop, you're right about Jekyll & Hyde & Quasimodo. Also the Man Who Laughs. All are "outside" the standard UM "universe" I guess.

And I do think that universe has a fictionalized quality, WW.
                    Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 7, '19, 9:55 PM.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

Nothing better than giving the entire movie away in one trailer.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

This version of the Invisible Man reminds me The Hollow Man instead of the Universal Studios version. Out of the Universal Monsters, the IM was not one of my favs. Since this movie seems to be coping Hollow Man I may wait till it gets its DVD release.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• enyawd72
                          Maker of Monsters!
                          • Oct 1, 2009

I'll make this very simple.

If it's not H.G. Wells' Jack Griffin, it's not the Invisible Man.

ZERO interest in this.

Comment

• B-Lister
                            Eccentric Weirdo
                            • Mar 19, 2010

HG Wells never wrote a character by that name.

"Jack" was created for the film. In League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, his name was Hawley.
                            Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• enyawd72
                              Maker of Monsters!
                              • Oct 1, 2009

^Oh, OK nitpicker...GRIFFIN then.

Excuse me it's been about 30 years since I read the book.

It doesn't change anything. This isn't the Invisible Man.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎