X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scott metzger
    Persistent Member
    • Jul 9, 2007

Horror Icons

The Hammer thread brought to mind the possibility of doing some horror stars. The monster line seems to be one of the, if not THE, strongest seller, and Bela flew off pegs when he was out. They could likely do an actual Lon Chaney, Jr (there's your Larry Talbot figure). Icons like Vincent Price (how many folks would add him as Vincent Van Ghoul to their 8" Scooby figures?), Cushing and Lee from Hammer, even Karloff and Lugosi as themselves would have an appeal among classic horror fans. Even modern icons like Robert Englund might be worth looking into.
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I'd get them to star on Batman 66 in Tbolt Land
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• B-Lister
      Eccentric Weirdo
      • Mar 19, 2010

As a workaround this sounds like a good idea. However it is often easier to license characters than it is to license actors. Often, characters can be bundled. But individual actors require individual agreements, all of which will require different conditions.
      Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by B-Lister
        As a workaround this sounds like a good idea. However it is often easier to license characters than it is to license actors. Often, characters can be bundled. But individual actors require individual agreements, all of which will require different conditions.
        they already have Lugosi and the Chaneys. Vincent Price is probably available too given his likeness used in the Batman 66 line.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

I would buy all of these. Great idea!

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• Brown Bear
            Still Old School
            • Feb 14, 2008

I’ve been lobbying for a Lon Chaney Jr figure for a while. Would love these figures!
            Check out my website: Megozine Covers - Home

Comment

• Count_Popula
              Museum Super Collector
              • Aug 28, 2018

On the subject of Horror actors sans makeup, I've always been surprised by the lack of Colin Clive as Dr. Frankenstein figures. There must be some issue w/ the Clive estate. But that's one I'd add to my monster collection.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                Verbose Member
                • Mar 7, 2004

^I have read that Universal is always afraid Clive has some unknown heir that will come forward. I would think at this point there has to be some kind of statute of limitations in play there, but I could be wrong.

Chris
                sigpic

Comment

• MysteryWho
                  Persistent Member
                  • Dec 16, 2008

For Lon Chaney Jr. I would love to see him in the simple dark clothing he always has on before/after he transforms into the Wolfman. Kind of a Bruce Banner in his purple pants thing. Karloff could be in a suit, perhaps the way he looked presenting Thriller. Lots of customs could come from these, plus they would sell just as they are. It's a darn good idea. The Lugosi Dracula likeness was so well done.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

I mentioned this to someone at a Meet and it was brushed off as guys in suits.

It was brought up on FB once in context of the Jack Pierce figure made a few years back. The answer was "that was a few hundred pieces, not a few thousand"

My case has always been to offer them as online exclsuves made to be about half the normal production size, but as a cross between the DST Marvel sets and what MaxxFx was going for. Picture Chaney with his makeuo kit and London After Midnight gear.
                    Last edited by hedrap; Nov 7, '19, 11:18 PM.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                      Hi Ernie!!!
                      • Feb 15, 2004

Chaney and Lugosi did a lot of stuff that is PD now and were basically just them. Bride of the Monster and Indestructible Man come to mind. Tied to a horror movie might work past the guy in suit attitude. Really want Bela and a zombie or two from White Zombie

Comment

• MegoMonk
                        Career Member
                        • Jan 22, 2007

How about Ed Wood, in an angora sweater

Comment

• Count_Popula
                          Museum Super Collector
                          • Aug 28, 2018

@thunderbolt - Lon Chaney as The Indestructible Man. Or his other similar character, the Man-Made Monster. I would buy the hell out of either of those, especially if they glowed! Great suggestion!
                          Last edited by Count_Popula; Nov 8, '19, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎