• Jun 16, 2001

DefunctTV: The History of the Original Ghost Busters

Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

I love the Defunct TV and Defunctland series. The Jim Henson series was fantastic. This one was a lot of fun too. There's also an article on the series in the latest Retro Fan.

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• palitoy
      live. laugh. lisa needs braces
      • Jun 16, 2001

Big fan of this channel as well. I can't for the life of me figure out why i never saw this show when it aired and then i noticed it was airing at 11:30 and that was like "get outside!" time I guess. Caught it in syndication in 1983.
      Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
      http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

I was a big fan of this show. I don't think I ever saw the ensuing cartoon years later--I had just started college. I recall Mr. Hyde--dressed in hides--confused me lol.
        Last edited by PNGwynne; Nov 6, '19, 6:49 PM.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Nostalgiabuff
          Muddling through
          • Oct 4, 2008

I don't remember the show, but the cartoon they made in the 80s I remember and I think I became aware of the show it was based on at that time. but I do not think I have ever seen an episode and quite frankly, at this point in my life, it would probably bore me

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
            Verbose Member
            • Mar 7, 2004

I remembered the show, even though I couldn't have remembered it from first run (I was 1). But when they mention it re-ran a few years later, that made total sense. I saw Ghostbusters first, then recognized Tucker and Storch when a local channel reran F-Troop a few years later.

I recall watching the Filmation cartoon some, but I was so enamored with the "Real" Ghostbusters, I snubbed my nose at it a bit, even if I thought the toyline was cool.

Chris
            sigpic

Comment

• Falstaff13
              Persistent Member
              • May 28, 2008

The cartoon version is supposed to be the origin of the Bravestarr cartoon. Supposedly one of Prime Evil's henchmen was designed as a villainous cowboy, and they decided they like the idea and created a space western around the idea that became Tex Hex. Does anyone know if they actually included the Tex Hex inspiration in an episode of Ghost Busters, or did they move the character completely to the new project?
              Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
              Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

I really liked the Filmation Ghostbusters cartoon. It was great fun and so different from the Real Ghostbusters. It had a more traditional haunted house spooky Halloween vibe. I wish someone would make new toys from it. The character designs were fantastic. I actually had most of the figures. Just missing Prime Evil and Jake. Got rid of them ages ago because I got so frustrated I could never finish the set. Still kinda kicking myself for that.
                You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• msenger76
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 3, 2009

Absolutely loved the filmation ghostbusters cartoon when it came on. i was one of the few kids in school who didn't like the GB movie or the "real" GB cartoon.

Comment

• tay666
                    Career Member
                    • Dec 27, 2008

Never saw the cartoon, but I watched the Saturday morning show when it first ran, and loved it.
                    I used to sing along to the theme song.

I had almost forgotten about it until Wonderfest 2005.
                    Saturday nights they would show old movies and stuff with live host Dr Gangrene and special guest Bob Burns.
                    In 2005 they showed episodes of Ghostbusters and during breaks Bob would talk about behind the scenes stuff.
                    Towards the end of the evening, he even donned his Tracy the Gorilla suit and ran around 'terrorizing' the audience while the end credits rolled.

After that I checked around and discovered the series was out on DVD, but sadly, out of print.
                    Which meant that most seller were asking highway robbery prices. I was not spending $80 for a set of 15 episodes. Luckily, my fairly regular searches finally led me to find the series for a reasonable $28 in early 2017.
                    I still pop it in occasionally on Saturday mornings (either that, or the 70's Godzilla cartoon series)

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎