X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

Do You Know These "Lost" Horror Films?

I fell for some click bait about these 10 "lost" horror films and know my curiosity is piqued. So I figured I'd turn to you guys for some help.

FIRST- Are you familiar with these films? If so, are they worth hunting down? Are they good or so bad they're good?

SECOND- If they are worth hunting down, do you know if they are on a streaming service? I did find 'Killers' on Tubi.

The List -
    1- Blood Beach (1980)- I actually remember this movie, well, at least the title anyway. Its about a creature that sucks people into the sand and, presumably, eats them.

2- Killers (1996)- I found this one on Tubi and it looks like it has potential. A family seems to be expecting and are even happy when a pair of killers' seek refuge in their home.

3- Mr Frost (1990)- This one had me with Jeff Goldblum as the Devil. Authorities cannot identify Goldblum after he s institutionalized when a bunch of buried bodies are found at his home.

4- The Keep (1983)- Michael Mann movie that has a bunch of WWII Nazi's come across an evil monster. This one really doesn't seem that interesting.

5- Blue Monkey (1987)- Despite the fact there are no monkeys in the film, a mash-up of 'Aliens' and 'The Thing' is enough to draw me in.

6- Massacre at Central High (1976)- Kind of a proto-Heathers without the humor.

7- Grim Prairie Tales (1990)- A horror-Western anthology film. That was a thing?

8- Dream Demon (1988)- The trailer (YouTube) shows dreams blurring into reality in this steeped-in-80's, direct-to-video tone.

9- Island of Blood (1982)- Agatha Christie story turned 80's horror film with upbeat, punk song.

10- Pieces (1982)- Psycho tries to re-create his love of jigsaws by chainsawing coeds.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

Blue Monkey was shot in Toronto and the only reason I ever saw it was because Joe Flaherty and Robin Duke from SCTV have parts in it. I don't think it's very good if i recall.

Blood Beach is something I've seen a bunch, it's John Saxon infused and not bad.

Pretty certain i rented "Grim Prairie Tales" in the early 90s but have no memory of it.

I don't graviate towards slasher movies much so i haven't seen many of these as a result.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• RonnyG
      Career Member
      • Apr 23, 2014

Pieces is one of those "so bad, it's good" movies! I've watched it several times. It has sort of a cult following. It's cheesy bad, and unintentionally funny--but in a good way. Stars Christopher George and Linda Day George. The music score is great, too! Just watch the first 5 minutes and you'll be hooked in. Warning--it's very graphic and bloody!!

It's on youtube. Quality is pretty good!

Last edited by RonnyG; Nov 6, '19, 4:09 PM.

Comment

• MysteryWho
        Persistent Member
        • Dec 16, 2008

The only one I've seen is Blood Beach. As Brian mentioned it is infused with the robust flavor of John Saxon, and it's an entertaining little movie besides.
        I've heard of some of the other titles, some sound worth checking out now by their descriptions.

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

The Keep was actually pretty good. It's very weird and surreal. It's scary and atmospheric but not gory from what I remember. Haven't seen it in ages.
          You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• MysteryWho
            Persistent Member
            • Dec 16, 2008

Originally posted by Werewolf
            The Keep was actually pretty good. It's very weird and surreal. It's scary and atmospheric but not gory from what I remember. Haven't seen it in ages.
            Yep, I should've mentioned in my previous post. The Keep is very much worth watching. I'm still hoping for somebody to get a good copy of it together.

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

I enjoyed Pieces. It's pretty funny, yet at the same time gruesome in spots. There are some shock moments that will just make you question what you just saw.

Comment

• Bruce Banner
                HULK SMASH!
                • Apr 3, 2010

Some pretty good movies on that list.

Yeah, The Keep is worth a look. Laden with Michael Mann's heavily stylized directorial flair.
                (The novel is decent, too.)
                PUNY HUMANS!

Comment

• Wee67
                  Museum Correspondent
                  • Apr 2, 2002

Thanks for the info. Now I have to try and hunt them down. I hadn't even checked youtube, where Pieces seems to reside. BTW, that open to Pieces was wild/hilarious. (but definitely slasher, so continue to stay away, Brian).

Rummaging around on Tubi, I found another low-budget gore movie, BUT who would've thought it would be an Ivan Reitman film where I get to see Andrea Martin gore-ily kill Eugene Levy?!? It's called 'Cannibal Girls' and is your average, low-budget gore movie with bad lighting and sound. It's really not that good. I had no idea Reitman made this about 6 years before 'Meatballs.'
                  WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• hedrap
                    Permanent Member
                    • Feb 10, 2009

Mr. Frost was a nickname because of this movie. I love it. Burned it to disc at one point. Goldblum as the devil and nobody will believe him.

He did a few Euro films in one shot. The trade implication was he couldn't get work stateside a the time. This would be post-Fly, Pre-Jurassic. So after Vibes had short-circuited his career. The movie that actually saved him was Deep Cover, but nobody remembers that one.

I asked him years ago in an online chat about Frost and he didn't want to explain how it happened. It's a fantastic performance by him, Kathy Baker and Alan Bates. The rights seems to mired into co-ownerships.

Comment

• Jacksonmob
                      • Nov 16, 2014

The Keep starred Jürgen Prochnow and Scott Glenn. It was pretty good, but the book was much better. Jürgen Prochnow is a german officer who takes over keep that is a prison for a supernatural being. Scott Glenn is a protector who is dispatched to destroy or place it back it captivity. I don't remember much else as it has been 30 years since I seen it or read the book.

Massacre at Central High I remember liking it well enough, but I have not seen it since the early days of HBO or Cinemax.

Comment

• enyawd72
                        Maker of Monsters!
                        • Oct 1, 2009

My favorite lost horror film is "Track of the Moon Beast"

Comment

• palitoy
                          live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                          • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Wee67

Rummaging around on Tubi, I found another low-budget gore movie, BUT who would've thought it would be an Ivan Reitman film where I get to see Andrea Martin gore-ily kill Eugene Levy?!? It's called 'Cannibal Girls' and is your average, low-budget gore movie with bad lighting and sound. It's really not that good. I had no idea Reitman made this about 6 years before 'Meatballs.'

Oh that's a City TV classic, the gimmick was a buzzer I believe.

That was shot not far from my house in Beaverton (yup) and the downtown really hasn't changed all that much. One of the more notable things about that movie for me is the actor playing the Butcher also played Igor on "the Hilarious House of Frightenstein" show. I don't think I'd ever seen him without makeup before.

However, it isn't very good.
                          Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                          http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• PNGwynne
                            Master of Fowl Play
                            • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by enyawd72
                            My favorite lost horror film is "Track of the Moon Beast"
                            I have a soft-spot for that one: He's hunky and a were-lizard!
                            WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎