Help support the Mego Museum
Help support the Mego Museum

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Meal 40th anniversary retro toys Nov 7-Nov 11.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Happy Meal 40th anniversary retro toys Nov 7-Nov 11.

Real cool idea. But mostly 90s toys, sadly. I'm guessing probably because of safety law changes. I would have loved to have seen some of their popular 80s promotions like Smurfs or Astrosniks.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Earth 2 Chris
    Verbose Member
    • Mar 7, 2004

Hmm...interesting mix. Maybe it's because my kids have outgrown them, but I don't feel like Happy Meal toys are nearly as well-made or elaborate as they were from the late 80s through a decade or so ago.

And I didn't see a Ronald there. Has McDonald's backed off of his use due to the pervasive "evil clown" stigma?

Chris
    sigpic

Comment

• Hedji
      Citizen of Gotham
      • Nov 17, 2012

I'm not on board because they snubbed the Star Trek the Motion Picture toys and boxes that started it all.

Comment

• palitoy
        live. laugh. lisa needs braces
        • Jun 16, 2001

Originally posted by Hedji
        I'm not on board because they snubbed the Star Trek the Motion Picture toys and boxes that started it all.
        that's exactly where my mind gravitated to as well, I know it isn't celebrated but it's one of my happiest memories of McDonalds as a kid.
        Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
        http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Goblin19
          Talkative Member
          • May 2, 2002

Agreed on Smurfs and Astrosniks, but it’s still a cool idea.

Comment

• Werewolf
            Inhuman
            • Jul 14, 2003

That does stink they couldn't have doing something with STTMP. That was their first big promotion, after all. The whole thing is really disappointing to be honest. So many popular and iconic promotions were over looked.
            You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Hedji
              Citizen of Gotham
              • Nov 17, 2012

Actually, the best fast food kids meal toy award goes to Burger King for their Universal Monsters figures of the late 90s. Sorry, Ronald.

Comment

• palitoy
                live. laugh. lisa needs braces
                • Jun 16, 2001

Actually, the best fast food kids meal toy award goes to Burger King for their Universal Monsters figures of the late 90s. Sorry, Ronald.
                Those are amazing although I loved the Batman TAS series by McDonalds.
                Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
                http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Werewolf
                  Inhuman
                  • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by palitoy
                  Those are amazing although I loved the Batman TAS series by McDonalds.
                  Those were both great. I'd also add Taco Bells Creature Crypts monster action figures from 2003. Really well done public domain versions of classic monsters.
                  Last edited by Werewolf; Nov 5, '19, 6:20 PM.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                    Master of Fowl Play
                    • Jun 5, 2008

One of my happiest memories is going to see ST TMP around the holidays at Great Oaks Twin Cinema with Dad, near the grocery where he was a dept. manager. And going to McDonald's before the show to get that Happy Meal. I got a sort of wrist communicator IIRC.
                    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• hedrap
                      Permanent Member
                      • Feb 10, 2009

I don't remember TMP, but I clearly recall having to go to Taco Bell for Search For Spock glasses.

Nothing will ever beat Burger King Star Wars. The artwork for those glasses are untouchable.

I'm with Hedji the BK Universal Monsters are the best. Jack In The Box has done Universal Monsters at least twice. One was a variant of the BK line, the other was from 02!

This is a great pic. I had never seen the display before.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• RonnyG
                        Career Member
                        • Apr 23, 2014

I thought the Inspector Gadget figure was a clever idea.
                        insp.jpg

Comment

• PNGwynne
                          Master of Fowl Play
                          • Jun 5, 2008

Thank you for posting the Jack in the Box sets, i did not know of the second one and now I need the Phantom in his gondola. The seated version is a kazoo IIRC, I have that one.
                          WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                            Verbose Member
                            • Mar 7, 2004

That BK Universal line is the apex of Kids Meal toys. I was in college, and stopped by a Burger King on my way home each week for a month to get the set. My son ran off with them years ago, and I have no idea where they are at!

Chris
                            sigpic

Comment

• Megotastrophe
                              Permanent Member
                              • Jun 29, 2018

i have a loose Drac missing his cape and a loose werewolf, no coffin and no...shed? Outhouse? Moving crate? And one bagged Creature left. Drac currently has a Kenner style black vinyl cape with armholes which is how I remember the Remco mini monster being made too. Top notch figures.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎