X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Werewolf
    Inhuman
    • Jul 14, 2003

Jet wheels, Speedburners and Credit Card Racers

We don't seem to talk much about Mego's attempt at the Hot Wheels market.

Jet Wheels, I think were formerly AMT Pups, looks like the typical Hot Wheels/Matchbox off brand. Nice enough looking cars but nothing really stands out about them. Now, Speed Burners looked like a really cool concept. The chrome really pops and the pull back gimmick looked fun. The stretching Credit Card Racers do strike me as a little odd, though. I wonder how popular any of these were. They do seem kind of forgotten today.

You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...
  • Wee67
    Museum Correspondent
    • Apr 2, 2002

I was always a sucker for any translucent or chromed toy. I don't think I knew about Speed Burners when I was a kid, but I always relied on other kids' matchbox cars and tracks for my auto fun.

I am curious about how well the line did. The fact that it sold for a couple years implies it was a solid seller. Not a great seller, but consistent enough to continue it for a bit. They're pretty easy to get on the secondary market for a good price. That's the main reason I have several in my collection.
    WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Originally posted by Wee67
      That's the main reason I have several in my collection.
      Oh, cool! Please post some pictures if you get a chance. It would be neat to see a collection of them.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• monitor_ep
        Talkative Member
        • May 11, 2013

Wow I never hear of these...
        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log

Comment

• Werewolf
          Inhuman
          • Jul 14, 2003

The track sets looked pretty rad.

Comment

• Wee67
            Museum Correspondent
            • Apr 2, 2002

Originally posted by Werewolf
            Oh, cool! Please post some pictures if you get a chance. It would be neat to see a collection of them.
            Most of my Speed Burner stuff is not displayed. Its tucked away in the back corner of my toyroom with "other" Mego. Mostly games. I don't think you can see it back there with Mice Hockey and Fantastic Fred.

WANTED - Solid-Boxed WGSH's, C.8 or better.

Comment

• Palifan
              Museum Patron
              • Jan 18, 2016

Now that's one sweet looking collector room

Ian

Comment

• Werewolf
                Inhuman
                • Jul 14, 2003

That is a fantastic toy room.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

That's beautiful! I'm envious, I have a tiny apartment with almost no display space.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Did hot Wheels Scorchers come first or did Speed Burners? Very similar gimmick.

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                      Verbose Member
                      • Mar 7, 2004

I didn't even know of the Mego car lines, so thanks Werewolf for the info. And thanks Wee67 for sharing that wonderful toyroom photo!!!
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎