X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Halloween specials of the past

Feeling a little nostalgic I started going through youtube looking for older Halloween episodes. So why not invite you to the videos of yesteryear, of past Halloween specials.

First up is one that is based on a book from 1971: The Trouble of Miss Switch produced by Ruby-Spears Productions.

When Rupert and his friend Amelia find the new substitute teacher doing odd things, they discover that she is actually a witch with a magical talking cat who sought them out in order to stop an evil coven of witches from destroying her.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

To view my custom works of both JLU and Megos go to:

Monitor_EP Deviantart page

Action Jackson Road Trip log
  • monitor_ep
    Talkative Member
    • May 11, 2013

Halloween specials of the past: Miss Switch

Since my mother was a school librarian we had a VHS copy of this (could still have it packed away) and we watched this at school during this week.

For those who may not know there was a sequel that was produced in 1982 produced by Ruby-Spears Productions titled Miss Switch to the Rescue

A dark and stormy night sees Rupert and Amelia studying about energy when a mysterious stranger gives Rupert a package. He unknowingly frees the pirate wizard, Mordo, who kidnaps Amelia. Rupert calls on Miss Switch for help in this new adventure.
    Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Werewolf
      Inhuman
      • Jul 14, 2003

Nice! I loved the Miss Switch cartoons.
      You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
        Verbose Member
        • Mar 7, 2004

Were these part of the ABC Weekend Special? I had forgotten all about Miss Switch, so thanks for jogging some memories loose.

We watched the original Bunnicula (also produced by Ruby-Spears) a few weeks ago. Nice flashback!

Chris
        sigpic

Comment

• monitor_ep
          Talkative Member
          • May 11, 2013

Halloween specials of the past: Bunnicula, the Vampire Rabbit 1982

Before the Cartoon Networks version in 1982 an animated TV special (from Ruby-Spears) Bunnicula was created based on the first book and aired on the ABC Weekend Special. The animated special deviated heavily from the novels and actively depicted Bunnicula using vampiric powers, which did not occur in the novels.

When strange accidents happen at the factory where Mr. Monroe works, and vegetables are drained of their juices, the neighbors as well as Harold the dog and Chester the cat suspect that the new-found family bunny is really a vampire.

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
            Talkative Member
            • May 11, 2013

Halloween specials of the past: Festival Of Family Classics: Jack O'Lantern

Another weird Halloween special: Festival Of Family Classics: Jack O'Lantern is a Rankin/Bass Halloween special that is part of the Festival Of Family Classics in 1972. Billie Mae Richards played the voice of Michael in this special.

Festival Of Family Classics Jack O'Lantern ad 2.jpgFestival Of Family Classics Jack O'Lantern ad.jpgFestival Of Family Classics Jack O'Lantern VHS.jpg

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
              Talkative Member
              • May 11, 2013

Mego Halloween special: The Paul Lynde Halloween Special

The Paul Lynde Halloween Special is a Halloween-themed television special starring Paul Lynde broadcast October 29, 1976 on ABC. It featured guest stars Margaret Hamilton in a reprisal of her role as the Wicked Witch of the West from The Wizard of Oz. Also guest starring are Billie Hayes as Witchiepoo from H.R. Pufnstuf, Tim Conway, Roz Kelly, Florence Henderson, rock band Kiss, Billy Barty as Gallows the Butler, Betty White and, in an unbilled surprise appearance, Donny and Marie Osmond. The special aired only once.

Just think about all the stars in this show who have Megos & ReMego figures now. Its a silly show but fun to watch early appearances of KISS.
              Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• Falstaff13
                Persistent Member
                • May 28, 2008

Thanks for this thread. I vaguely remember Miss Switch but will re-view these tonight. I remember watching the Rankin-Bass special, and Paul Lynde...well, as a person interested in crossovers, any special that has Witchie Poo and the Wicked Witch is fabulous. Through a couple of scenes, this special links The Wizard of Oz, and thus Sesame Street, and all of the Muppet world, with HR Pufnstuf and several other Krofft Shows. Plus, Billie Hayes played a "storybook witch" on an episode of Bewitched, so I think it can tie in as well.
                Hugh H. Davis

Wanted: Legends of the West (Empire & Excel) and other western historically-based figures. Send me an offer.
                Also interested in figures based on literary characters.

Comment

• PNGwynne
                  Master of Fowl Play
                  • Jun 5, 2008

I recall watching The Paul Lynde special first-run. I think Criss sang "Beth" in it.
                  WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• Werewolf
                    Inhuman
                    • Jul 14, 2003

Anyone else remember Witch's Night Out from 78? That was a strange one. I really liked it. I don't think that gets aired much anymore.
                    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Comment

• PNGwynne
                      Master of Fowl Play
                      • Jun 5, 2008

One I really liked was "The Halloween That Almost Wasn't."

I don't recall the Rankin-Bass Jack-o-Lantern special at all, and I love R-B.
                      WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• monitor_ep
                        Talkative Member
                        • May 11, 2013

I love how you guys get my retro watching and jump ahead:

Witch's Night Out is a Canadian animated television Halloween special that premiered on NBC October 27, 1978. Produced in a Toronto studio, it was the sequel to the 1974 special The Gift of Winter with the vocal talents from Dan Aykroyd and Valri Bromfield. It featured the voices of Fiona Reid as Nicely and Catherine O'Hara as Malicious, with Gilda Radner as the titular witch.
                        Witches Night Out.jpgWitch's Night Out ad.jpg

A witch, disgruntled by the fact that no one takes Halloween seriously anymore, decides to stir things up and disrupt the social gathering in her old house as well as turn a couple of kids who love monsters into actual monsters.

I bought this on DVD a few years back and again loved the that old school feel of the cartoons.
                        Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
                          Talkative Member
                          • May 11, 2013

Halloween specials of the past: The Halloween That Almost Wasn't

Another great(?) movie I love to watch during Halloweek: The Halloween That Almost Wasn't

The Halloween That Almost Wasn't is a 1979 American television special that revolves around Dracula (Judd Hirsch) trying to save Halloween from the Witch (Mariette Hartley) who threatens it. It won an Emmy Award for "Outstanding Individual Achievement – Children's Program" and was nominated for three others. On VHS releases, it was retitled The Night Dracula Saved the World. The special, which premiered on ABC on October 28, 1979, was shot at Lyndhurst in Tarrytown, New York. It also aired regularly on the Disney Channel during its Halloween season from 1983 to 1996.
                          The Halloween That Almost Wasn't 2.jpgThe Halloween That Almost Wasn't 1.jpg

Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• monitor_ep
                            Talkative Member
                            • May 11, 2013

Halloween specials of the past: Monster Cereals

Now its time for those commercials of Mego Museums favorite cereal, the General Mills Monster Cereal:
                            Frankenberry, Count Chocula, Booberry, Fruitbrute, Yummy Mummy

This collection does include the crossover with the Universal Monsters!!!
                            Last edited by monitor_ep; Oct 29, '19, 6:17 PM.
                            Visit my wiki site:

Comic Books in the Media

Comment

• B-Lister
                              Eccentric Weirdo
                              • Mar 19, 2010

Nobody posted The Worst Witch? For shame!
                              Looking for Green Arrow accessories, Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver, and Japanese Popy Megos (Battle Cossack and France, Battle of the Planets, Kamen Rider, Ultraman) and World Heroes figures

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎