X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RSS
    Museum Robot
    • May 9, 2007

General Mills Cereal (Killer) School Supplies

(Matt brings us another amazing gem from his collection- BrAin)

Check out this wonderful pencil case set from the General Mills cereal monsters made in 1981.

At first glance, it just looks like a cute school supply set based on Frankenberry, Count Chocula, and Boo Berry.

But then look more closely, and see exactly what haunted house they are escaping from--

"Mother, Blood! -- oh God, mother, blood!"

The image of the Bates Mansion not only on the header card, but on the pencil case as well, just puts this one over the top.

Now we know why the three monsters look so frightened – they didn't realize that they were at the house of a -- ahem-- "cereal" killer.

Now, at last, we know what happened to poor old Froot Brute-- these three cowards obviously left him behind to face certain doom

For more Fashion Mockery and 70's toy love visit us at Plaid Stallions.com

More...
  • Ranger 3
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 25, 2007

Cereal killer!!!

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy got "stuffed"...and not full of cereal!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• EmergencyIan
        Museum Paramedic
        • Aug 31, 2005

You know, from my childhood, I only recall Count Chocula, Franken Berry and Boo Berry. I wonder if the other flavors weren’t available everywhere. That said, I only recall the three named above in advertising.

- Ian
        Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
          Verbose Member
          • Mar 7, 2004

Not surprisingly since we apparently had the exact same childhood Ian, but it was the same for me. I never knew of Fruit Brute or Yummy Mummy as a kid.

Chris
          sigpic

Comment

• TrekStar
            Trek or Treat
            • Jan 20, 2011

I knew of Fruit Brute but never knew of Yummy Mummy until my local target was selling the monster cereals for Halloween
            a couple of years ago.

Comment

• PNGwynne
              Master of Fowl Play
              • Jun 5, 2008

Originally posted by TrekStar
              I knew of Fruit Brute but never knew of Yummy Mummy until my local target was selling the monster cereals for Halloween
              a couple of years ago.
              Pretty much my experience as well--according to the interwebs, Yummy Mummy came out when in I was in college, 1988.
              WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• tay666
                Career Member
                • Dec 27, 2008

I remember commercials with Fruit Brute.
                I also have a vague memory of trying that cereal, and not caring for it, so I didn't much care when it was discontinued.

Comment

• TrekStar
                  Trek or Treat
                  • Jan 20, 2011

Fruit Brute was cherry flavor which I didn't care much for, it probably should have instead been a fruity variety like Froot Loops.

Comment

• TrekStar
                    Trek or Treat
                    • Jan 20, 2011

Guess I have to correct myself, I just did a Wikipedia on monster cereals, when Fruit Brute first came out it was in fact a variety of fruit flavors like Froot Loops, it was discontinued in 1982 and replaced with Yummy Mummy which I guess was originally a vanilla flavor, that was discontinued in 1992. Then it says when they returned for a limited time, Fruit Brute was changed to a cherry flavor and Yummy Mummy went to an orange flavor.

I don't remember Yummy Mummy at all, my local supermarkets never carried it, Fruit Brute was rare in my neck of the woods.

Comment

• EmergencyIan
                      Museum Paramedic
                      • Aug 31, 2005

Originally posted by Earth 2 Chris
                      Not surprisingly since we apparently had the exact same childhood Ian, but it was the same for me. I never knew of Fruit Brute or Yummy Mummy as a kid.

Chris
                      Just reading this, Chris. Yeah, those two cereals certainly were not in our region of the country. I can’t mentally (and certainly not nostalgically) add Fruit Brute and Yummy Mummy into the the Count Chocula, Boo Berry and Franken Berry line.

- Ian
                      Rampart, this is Squad 51. How do you read?

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎