X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jorge Galvan
    Career Member
    • Jun 8, 2015

the (real!?!) Return of the Justice Society

Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV told us about bringing the original Justice Society of America to the pages of Justice League...and beyond.

Apparently Scott Snyder who is doing jla, is gonna do JSA, next. set in 1939/40.

And... I will hold my reservations until a release date and I read issue # 1.

BUT!

Damn, man, ****ed off over the whole REBIRTH/DOOMDAY situation and with this last issue coming out and NOTHING REALLY ANSWERED, I
    just dont know what is gonna happen.

over 80 years of JSA/DC Golden Age continuity wiped out! or worse; F***ED WITH!!

Here's a novel thought have a CRISIS and this time put EVERYONE BACK ON THEIR OWN EARTH AND LEAVE THEM ALONE!!
  • thunderbolt
    Hi Ernie!!!
    • Feb 15, 2004

I just read something where they are really going to muck up the timeline. Wonder Woman will be the first hero appearing in the 40s Golden Age and Superman will be showing up later with the silver agers. Modern age is going to see all the iconic heroes replaced with legacy types. Sounds like a 90s rehash where they did nearly the same thing with the likes of Conner Hawke and Kyle Rayner.
    You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• fun guy
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 24, 2011

Originally posted by thunderbolt
      I just read something where they are really going to muck up the timeline. Wonder Woman will be the first hero appearing in the 40s Golden Age and Superman will be showing up later with the silver agers. Modern age is going to see all the iconic heroes replaced with legacy types. Sounds like a 90s rehash where they did nearly the same thing with the likes of Conner Hawke and Kyle Rayner.
      Whoa,where did you read that?,Just wondering

Comment

• thunderbolt
        Hi Ernie!!!
        • Feb 15, 2004

not sure it came up on my google feed on my phone, probably CBR. It sounds like another lame attempt to pander to the younger crowd. It read like the originals will be put out to pasture.
        You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace. -Ernie Banks

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 14, 2012

Originally posted by fun guy
          Whoa,where did you read that?,Just wondering
          Here's a few links:
          https://www.comicsbeat.com/everythin...-dc-comics-5g/
          https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...omics-2020-5g/

Comment

• thunderbolt
            Hi Ernie!!!
            • Feb 15, 2004

And then in a couple years there will be a reboot back to Clark, Bruce, Hal, Diana etc when this crap doesn't stick to the wall

Comment

• fun guy
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 24, 2011

Wow,that is so cool

Comment

• thunderbolt
                Hi Ernie!!!
                • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by fun guy
                Wow,that is so cool
                really? sounds to me like they are booting all the originals for replacements. I doubt there will be any comics based on classics after they revise the timeline.

Comment

• MRP
                  Persistent Member
                  • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by thunderbolt
                  really? sounds to me like they are booting all the originals for replacements. I doubt there will be any comics based on classics after they revise the timeline.
                  I imagine that's how comic fans in the 50s felt when Barry Allen, Hal Jordan and such were put forward as the Flash and the Green Lantern replacing the classics they knew with no explanation after their faves had been cancelled because of poor sales a handful of years previously. The entire concept of a DC universe is based on characters being replaced.

-M
                  "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
                    Verbose Member
                    • Mar 7, 2004

Didio threw out the natural legacy characters 10 years ago. Now he's artificially creating a new generation just to boost sales. DC is a rudderless ship, and has been since he walked in the door. He seems like a sincerely nice person, and a fan, strangely, but how many times do you have to screw up before someone else gets a shot at running things? Kick him upstairs and out of the way and hire someone new.

Chris
                    sigpic

Comment

• Joshua the Atomic Robot
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 14, 2012

What intrigues me is that this new timeline seems to be restoring quite a bit of the old continuity that was erased for the New 52 reboot. I gave the New 52 a chance, but it was just too far removed from the DC Universe I had been reading in the years before. There were still some good individual comics, but I lost interest in the DC Universe as a whole. If they bring all those old stories that I grew up reading back into canon, I'd be really interested in reading new DC comics again.

But they have already started back pedalling on the new timeline, saying it's only a rough draft and not final, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Comment

• MRP
                        Persistent Member
                        • Jul 19, 2016

Originally posted by Joshua the Atomic Robot
                        What intrigues me is that this new timeline seems to be restoring quite a bit of the old continuity that was erased for the New 52 reboot. I gave the New 52 a chance, but it was just too far removed from the DC Universe I had been reading in the years before. There were still some good individual comics, but I lost interest in the DC Universe as a whole. If they bring all those old stories that I grew up reading back into canon, I'd be really interested in reading new DC comics again.

But they have already started back pedalling on the new timeline, saying it's only a rough draft and not final, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.
                        It's not so much backpedaling, they clearly stated it was a rough draft and work in progress that they had been working on when they presented it (mostly blurred and in low resolution because the details were not set in stone) at NYCC, but people took pictures of the slides and posted them without that context online, then worked at improving the resolution and deciphering what was on there presenting it all as gospel, when it wasn't. So it wasn't backpedaling, but correcting the assumptions everyone who wasn't in the room when it was presented were making about what was presented. It may have been a miscalculation on their part that people would pay attention to what they were saying about the pictures when they were presented, but they were never put forward as a finished document.

-M
                        "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• knight errant00
                          8 Inch Action Figure
                          • Nov 15, 2005

DC *always* had the way out of these problems (much like Dorothy having the shoes to solve her problem in WOZ). I remember on my LCS back in the mid 1990s or so outlining how Crisis on Infinite Earth's took away their best tool -- parallel earths -- for rebooting continuity to fit the times but leave old continuities available and in play. All they need is a plan to kick off a new world every 10-15 years with various re-dos of the characters, leaving the Golden, Silver, and Bronze ages alone and kick off Iron, Zinc, or whatever new ages, giving them the ability to fit current times tastes and maybe do a giant Ragnarok/Gotterdamerung, that could tie off a particular continuity in something epic and meaningful like Crisis.

Comment

• thunderbolt
                            Hi Ernie!!!
                            • Feb 15, 2004

Originally posted by MRP
                            I imagine that's how comic fans in the 50s felt when Barry Allen, Hal Jordan and such were put forward as the Flash and the Green Lantern replacing the classics they knew with no explanation after their faves had been cancelled because of poor sales a handful of years previously. The entire concept of a DC universe is based on characters being replaced.

-M
                            which they partially did in the 90s and those characters didn't have staying power so they had to epically bring back Hal, Ollie, Bruce Diana etc. And it will happen again. It'd be more natural if it were the true legacy characters like Dick Grayson, Donna Troy, etc, but its sounds more like they are just slapping new people into the roles. I am guessing Luke Fox is related to Lucius so there is a tie in there for Batman. Comics probably just need to stop changing for changes sake and think it thru a bit.

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            🥰
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎