Persistent Member
    • Jul 19, 2016

Netflix acquires rights to do Bone limited series

The Press Release:

NETFLIX SECURES RIGHTS TO AWARD-WINNING CARTOONIST
    JEFF SMITH’S INTERNATIONALLY ACCLAIMED
    COMIC BOOK SERIES BONE!

For Immediate Release

Netflix announced today that it has secured the rights to Jeff Smith’s award-winning and New York Times best-selling international comic book series, BONE, with plans to develop an animated series that follows the iconic Bone cousins on an adventure through a vast, uncharted desert and into a mysterious valley filled with wonderful and terrifying creatures.

BONE has been published in over 30 countries since 1991, with over 9 million copies in print in North America alone. It is among TIME Magazine’s “Ten Best Graphic Novels of All Time” and winner of more than 40 national and international publishing awards, including the Eisner Awards, Harvey Awards, and The French Alph Art. BONE was a pioneer in comics publishing for kids as the launch title for Scholastic’s graphic novel imprint, Graphix Books, when it debuted in 2005.

“I’ve waited a long time for this,” says Smith, creator of the BONE graphic novels. “Netflix is the perfect home for BONE. Fans of the books know that the story develops chapter by chapter and book by book. An animated series is exactly the way to do this! The team at Netflix understands BONE and is committed to doing something special - this is good news for kids and cartoon lovers all over the world.”

Jeff Smith is an American cartoonist whose other award-winning and acclaimed comics include SHAZAM! The Monster Society of Evil, RASL, Little Mouse Gets Ready!, and BONE: Tall Tales. Smith splits his time between Columbus and Key West with his wife and business partner, Vijaya Iyer, where he is working on his current project TUKI: 2 Million BCE.
    Bone is one of my all time favorite comics, and Jeff Smith is from Columbus (home of Mego Meet) and runs a wonderful comics festival (Cartoon Crossroads Columbus) in conjunction with the Billy Ireland Cartoon Museum at OSU in Columbus. I am so excited for this.

Pipe Dream: Jeff as a guest at Mego Meet to announce a line of Bone Megos, I so want a Thorn, Gran'ma Ben, Rose and Hooded One Megos.

-M
    "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato
  • palitoy
    live. laugh. lisa needs braces
    • Jun 16, 2001

My kids adored Bone and I liked reading it to them. Smith is a good cat, we were in a long line for signatures and the sign said "NO SKETCHES". Both the kids brought a favourite of book to have signed, I forgot my Shazam book. When we got outside, he had drawn little sketches for both of them, without request. They were thrilled.
    Places to find PlaidStallions online: https://linktr.ee/Plaidstallions

Buy Toy-Ventures Magazine here:
    http://www.plaidstallions.com/reboot/shop

Comment

• Earth 2 Chris
      Verbose Member
      • Mar 7, 2004

A favorite off all the Franklins. Very exciting!!!

Chris
      sigpic

Comment

• PNGwynne
        Master of Fowl Play
        • Jun 5, 2008

Sounds interesting. I'm unfamiliar with Bone, but I liked Smith's take on Captain Marvel.
        WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; vintage RC Batman (Bruce Wayne) head; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Comment

• MRP
          Persistent Member
          • Jul 19, 2016

Hmm, in my excitement and haste I typed limited series and I meant to say animated series.

Originally posted by PNGwynne
          Sounds interesting. I'm unfamiliar with Bone, but I liked Smith's take on Captain Marvel.
          Bone really is wonderful. If I could only read one comic the rest of my life, it would be Bone, but I was always resistant to read it when I was younger and bull-headed about comics thinking it was too catoony, "for kids" and not super-heroes, until someone just bluntly told me read it and consider it for what it is and not what I thought I should be reading. It, along with discovering Will Eisner and Scott McCloud totally triggered an evolution in my taste in comics.

-M
          "Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Comment

• pmwasson
            Maker
            • Sep 12, 2007

I read the Bone series to my son when he was little. It was a very happy experience for both of us.
            sigpic LaserMego

Comment

• WannabeMego
              Made in the USA
              • May 2, 2003

Adding the same sentiment...Before Art came onto the scene with Tiny Titans (2008?), I was reading Bone to My Son...Cautiously Optimistic Netflix will Respectfully Treat the Source Material...Looking Forward to it.
              Everyone is Entitled to MY Opinion...Your's, not so much!

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎