Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What older show did you enjoy later in life?

Images

What older show did you enjoy later in life?

Like a show you didn't watch as a kid and have almost no nostalgia of but started watching and really enjoying as an adult.

For me it was Buck Rogers. Especially the Pilot and first season. It's like a light-hearted disco Star Wars that hits all the right buttons for me. I even picked up the Lunchbox which I love.

Images
    Definitely "Maude," the old Bea Arthur series. Didn't watch it as a kid, but watched it as an adult in reruns on Antenna TV, and I really appreciated her dry sense of humor, and sarcasm. I guess she was the same way on "Golden Girls".
    Last edited by RonnyG; Oct 12, '19 at 10:08 AM.

Images
    Most Gerry Anderson shows

Before the 80's I've only heard about and seen Fireball XL5 and Space 1999
    .................................................. .......................

Images
    I honestly cannot think of any. there were more modern shows that I did not watch while they were on and then binge watched and really enjoyed, like Dexter, and Breaking Bad

Images
    Blog Entries
    The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Best sitcom of the '70s IMO, though I did not watch it first-run. I think it was the "Seinfeld" of it's decade.

Maude is fun, too.

For genre shows. I'd say U.F.O., which I was introduced to here and greatly enjoy.
    Last edited by PNGwynne; Oct 12, '19 at 11:35 AM.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by PNGwynne View Post
    The Mary Tyler Moore Show. Best sitcom of the '70s IMO, though I did not watch it first-run. I think it was the "Seinfeld" of it's decade.
    My favorite as well, with The Bob Newhart Show coming in at close Second.
    You are transparent; I see many things... I see plans within plans.

Images
    Are you being served?
    You are a bold and courageous person, afraid of nothing. High on a hill top near your home, there stands a dilapidated old mansion. Some say the place is haunted, but you don't believe in such myths. One dark and stormy night, a light appears in the topmost window in the tower of the old house. You decide to investigate... and you never return...

Images
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
    My favorite as well, with The Bob Newhart Show coming in at close Second.
    I enjoy Newhart as well. When I was a kid and my dad watched it, I thought Bill Daily was playing the same character as on Jeannie lol.
    WANTED: Dick Grayson SI trousers; gray AJ Mustang horse; POTA Fortress signal-flasher--top mirrored portion or mirror sticker; POTA Forbidden Zone prison doors, walls, bar; minty Wolfman tights; mint Black Knight sword; minty Launcelot boots; Lion Rock (pale) Dracula & Mummy heads; Lion Rock Franky squared boots; Wayne Foundation blue furniture; Flash Gordon/Ming (10") unbroken holsters; CHiPs gloved arms; POTA T2 tan body; CTVT/vintage Friar Tuck robes, BBP TZ Burgess Meredith glasses.

Images
    Y'all are naming several shows that CBS rolled out after the Rural Purge that I was too young to appreciate in the original run. MTM Show, Bob Newhart Show, All in the Family, Maude, MASH.....developed a deep appreciation for them as an adult. Strong casts and great writing make all of them hold up well and to me, they seem kind of timeless though they are 70s shows. Well, MASH is set in the 50s, but it has 70s sensibilities (and hair).

Images
    A big one for me was The Prisoner. I didn't watch it until I was an adult in the '90s, but it fascinated me. And, unlike the original 1960s viewers, I went into it aware of and prepared for the ambiguities. I had no expectations for a neat wrap up, so I experienced no frustration. Great series.